Phil Kessel and Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I haven't seen either play, so this is all 2nd hand info...

Phil Kessel looks to be USA's best forward prospect since Modano/Roenick. He's a highly skilled, speedy all-around offensive player with top notch puck handling, and isn't afraid to drive to the net. At this point, he's about 5'10'', 160 lbs, but he's a late '87 that's eligible for the 2006 draft, so he definitely has time to grow a few more inches. I'd say his weaknesses are that he's a little small right now, and like most young kids he needs to work on his defense. But he seems to be a great all-around offensive threat. Early favorite for 1st overall in 2006.

Jack Johnson is a 2005 eligible offensive defenseman. I've seen him listed at about 6'0'', 190 lbs for a year now, but he's still got more room to grow. He's a mobile puck-rushing defenseman with a hard shot and excellent speed, but he's also pretty physical from everything I've read. His weakness seems to be that he can get caught up ice sometimes, but his speed helps him get back into the play. He should go top 10 in 2005.

That seems to be the consensus on these two players. They both started out on the USNTDP U-17 team, but they were good enough to move up to the U-18 team half-way through the season. Like you said, they both seem like pretty special players.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
2005 is going to be a SICK draft for defensemen.

We could see guys just as good if not better than Cam Barker going in the 20's.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Moskau said:
2005 is going to be a SICK draft for defensemen.

We could see guys just as good if not better than Cam Barker going in the 20's.

Anikeenko, Johnson, Kindl, Laakso, Macias, Lashoff, Staal, Heshmatpour, Wilson, Vojta, Korhonen, Paquet, Gauthier, Bourdon.

Sick indeed.

The U.S. will be well represented with Johnson, Macias, and Lashoff all potential 1st rounders, as well as Hagemo, Stuart, and Jones.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sort of off topic, but what's the forward crop like after Crosby, Brule, Latendresse, Bertram? I haven't heard very much about European/Russian forwards yet. What's the preliminary thinking there?

X-SHARKIE

I just played vs the two at a Badgers invite camp about three weeks ago.

Any specific questions please feal free to ask.

I have to say Kessel is the "quickest" player I ever played against, Not just out right blazing speed, but he is soooo shifty, just unbelivably quick, everything he does.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I don't think that it is a stretch to say that Kessel could be the number 1 or 2 ranked player heading into the 2006 draft. He is that good!

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Roughneck said:
Where are Kessel and Johnson going to play/playiong currently?

Both are playing for the U.S. NTDP Under-18 Team. Johnson will then head to the University of Michigan in fall 2005. I believe Kessel is still undecided on going the college or major junior route. He would be a 2006 college recruit unless he accelerates, and most of what I've read suggests he doesn't plan on accelerating school (which is also why some think he'll go the major junior route). If he goes to college, I think he's pegged to go to either Wisconsin (hometown) or Michigan.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Kessel appears to be leaning towards the NCAA route based on my interpretation after reading this article <http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/Features/kessel_0245.htm>. The article has Kessel stating the following: “I’m going to go to college,†Kessel declares confidently. “All colleges are amazing; I’ve just got to decide which one is right for me.†So maybe Kessel isn't going to sign with the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL after all?

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Later in the article is says:

Kessel has a laid-back, happy-go-lucky approach to life that you’d expect from a 16-year-old. But he takes his hockey seriously, and he is confident in his choice of college hockey over major juniors.

“It was a pretty easy decision,†he said. “I’ve grown up watching college hockey, and I really like the atmosphere of the college game. Getting to play in front of those kinds of crowds would be amazing.â€

It also says he's accelerating his schooling so he can play college hockey in fall 2005. Boston U., Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are said to be his favorites.

As a Michigan fan, if the Wolverines were to land Kessel, their 2005 class would be amazing... Kessel, Cogliano, and Johnson... wow!

Old Hickory

Jack Johnson is going to be a the Kings prospects camp. I will have a report in a few weeks

Funkymoses

Oilers Chick said:
I've been reading some great stuff on this Kessel kid. Apparently he has some serious skill and speed to boot.

Anyone have the skinny on him?

Kessel's accelerating his schooling so he should be on campus in 2005. Consensus opinion is that Wisconsin and Michigan have the best shots... Kessel's from Madison and has family ties with both programs (his cousin and Calgary draft pick is Michigan's David Moss).

Kessel had 19 goals and 7 assists in 23 games with the U18 team, which he only played on for part of the year after starting on the U17 team.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
kobe said:
Does anyone have any info on these players? What type of players are they? Their strengths and weaknesses? I hear that both Kessel and Johnson could be special players.
what about some other good american prospects? any news?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Funkymoses said:
Kessel's accelerating his schooling so he should be on campus in 2005. Consensus opinion is that Wisconsin and Michigan have the best shots... Kessel's from Madison and has family ties with both programs (his cousin and Calgary draft pick is Michigan's David Moss).

Kessel had 19 goals and 7 assists in 23 games with the U18 team, which he only played on for part of the year after starting on the U17 team.

Funky, what's your take on Kessel? From what I've read he seems to be a special player, and one of the best American prospects in a long time. I had a conversation with Kyle Woodlief about him, and he said he will be top five for sure in his draft year.

Funkymoses

I can't say I disagree. The most encouraging thing about his talent is he's consistently doing it against players significantly older than him. He might be the best guy on the U18 team and he's the youngest. He dominated the U18 Worlds. Sky is the limit for this guy... he'll definitely have to learn about the other half of the rink but he's got the moves and shot to score against anyone.

He'll dominate the U18 team next year... and then the year after he'll be in college somewhere. Will he have a Kariya-type impact? Probably not just because he'll be a year younger. But if he can produce at that level at 17, yow.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info, funky. Whichever school he chooses, he'll be getting into a excellent program.

Any chance he'll be on the USA WJC squad come January? I would imagine that he would at the very least get SOME consideration.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oilers Chick said:
Thanks for the info, funky. Whichever school he chooses, he'll be getting into a excellent program.

Any chance he'll be on the USA WJC squad come January? I would imagine that he would at the very least get SOME consideration.

I think he, along with Jack Johnson will both get serious consideration. Very similar to Ryan Suter's participation while part of the Under 18 team. You just can't ignore the skill level these two possess, and their ability (especially Kessel's) to play well against older competition. It also helps their case that there will be considerable turn over on the U.S. squad, which could possibly ice it's most explosive lineup ever. :bow:

Funkymoses

it's possible but I'd be surprised to see that happen. I can't think of the last NDTP player on the WJC team.

Here's the camp roster:
http://www.usahockey.com/servlets/F...0E0340003BA5FE009/2004 Junior Camp Roster.doc

only 4 forwards return and Dan Fritsche is with Columbus so it's possible he won't be released. I figure Hensick, Wheeler, Porter, and Schremp are close to locks. Then you've got Borque, Pineault, Lerg, Hennessey, and Tom Fritsche fighting with Kessel... I figure they'll want a checking line in there somewhere so Hennessey might find himself a spot. Mike Brown would be well suited for a fourth line role. You've already got a number of small players on the team and most of the top two lines spoken for. You could make a case either way.

Johnson will have a tough go. Suter, Likens, Hunwick, and Thelen are locks, and then I bet Hagemo is close to one. He's got to beat out Sharrow, Borer, Brennan, etc... I could see him as the 7th guy.

db23

I think that they might go with Kessel and Johnson this year, first of all because they have the ability, and secondly because they can use them as the anchors of the following year's team,and possible the one after that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad