Phil Housley is an awful coach.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Let me preface this by saying that the Sabres roster is not good. I know that. They are likely struggling for a playoff spot no matter who's behind the bench, but if we assume they'd still have that lucky 10 game streak I think they'd be in a much better position.

Let me also say that I actually liked the Housley hire originally. I don't usually do knee-jerk reactions, and I don't think this to be knee-jerk either. It's not about the standings, it's about what I see game in and game out.

1) The lack of accountability. Scandella has been an unmitigated disaster. We know he can play better, yet he's on the ice 18 minutes a night no matter how many goals are a direct result of his mistakes. Same goes for Ristolainen, but there the ice time is 25 minutes a game. Same with Sobotka, Sheary, Mittlestadt, and Tage Thompson. If you wanna argue the bench is thin, I know, but these guys directly lead to goals against and don't miss a single shift for it. Scandella especially, it's just embarrassing how little effort he puts in.

2) Player usage. Risto gets 25 minutes a night and it makes no sense. He's simply not good enough for that. They do it because they know he can manage it, but it's not a high level of play he brings. It's like insisting Tyler Myers is Chara. I really like Risto as a player, but he needs to work on some things and in no way is a #1 D workhorse. Sobotka and Sheary are complete black holes out there and yet are 5th and 6th in ice time for offense.

3) The lines/pairings. Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart were fire to start the year, but our other lines were just nonexistent. We stuck with that for way too long even after that first line cooled off a bit, and only in recent weeks have we had the revelation that Reinhart can actually carry a 2nd line all by himself. Y'know, that thing the Sabres have needed desperately all along. Meanwhile ya sub Poms for him on the first line and Eichel and Skinner keep producing just fine. We ran into trouble against Philly today- boom, desperate Phil goes right back to Skin-Eich-Rein. You cannot consistently win with 1 line, we'd finally taken the risk of spreading it to 2 and it friggin worked.. and he goes right back to same old same old. Thompson has massive flaws but can show signs of shooting brilliance- let's put him with Sobotka and Sheary, two guys who he can't help and who can't help him. Risto and Scandella are a tire fire- let's leave 'em together for extended periods of time.

4) The system. We can't cycle, and some of that is on the players, but you'd hope to see some sorta improvement. It looks worse every game. Defensive marking- the guys put in effort, yet consistently seem lost as to what the actual plan is. Once again, I know they're not a hugely skilled team, but watching 4 guys around the net trying to figure out who has who is just painful. There's no improvement, no adjustment, no system to speak of. They're winging it out there because their "coach" has left them without a working system.

5) The PP. The one system we do seem to have is the drop pass on the PP, and it is driving me insane. It is literally all we do, and every team knows it. I can call it in advance as soon as we touch the puck, and it simply doesn't work when it's your only move. Almost like Phil enjoyed success with it in his day and figures why not do that 100% of the time. Eichel/Dahlin/Risto weaving their way through 5 guys as 4 other Sabres wait at the blue line is not an effective zone entry.

6) The lack of intensity. I think Torts brings it too much, and I thought Ruff lost the room by overdoing it towards the end of his tenure, but jesus, you need some kinda fire. You need to rant and rave from time to time, you need to take guys to task when they screw up badly. Phil has the demeanor of a lobotomized Jeff Bridges, and it's killing us. We score, no reaction. We give up 3 goals in 2 minutes to Toronto, no reaction. I've honestly seen him do nothing but chew enough gum to make me consider buying Wrigley's stock this season. We don't even have a coach back there, we have just this blank space with zero effect on the game outside of the stupid drop passes and poor use of personnel. It's embarrassing.

Alright, that pretty much sums it up.. and before someone says "wah you didn't like the last 2 coaches either!" Well, ya, they were also bad. Them being bad does not mean this one is good. It's like if you have 3 bad girlfriends in a row- at some point you should do some introspection and figure out what you're doing wrong on your end, but that's not a reason not to get rid of your current deadweight nothingness of a partner.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
You haven't even touched on benching CJ, DOR, Pilut

God I know, so much wrong- cause ya, people say the roster is weak, and it is, but we consistently have better players sitting in the presser or AHL. Stolen from JC17- "Last 4 games without okposo/scandella: 51% corsi, 52% scoring chance, 54% high danger.

Granted a lot of that skewed bby yesterday's game.

That said, the team is over 50% in all those categories when neither guy is on the ice over the course of the season.

Add sobotka to the mix we're over 53% in all.

More recently, without all 3 of those players on ice for the past 15 games we're 54% corsi, 57% scoring chance, 63% high danger.

I realize usage is a factor but those numbers are absurd."

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
God I know, so much wrong- cause ya, people say the roster is weak, and it is, but we consistently have better players sitting in the presser or AHL. Stolen from JC17- "Last 4 games without okposo/scandella: 51% corsi, 52% scoring chance, 54% high danger.

Granted a lot of that skewed bby yesterday's game.

That said, the team is over 50% in all those categories when neither guy is on the ice over the course of the season.

Add sobotka to the mix we're over 53% in all.

More recently, without all 3 of those players on ice for the past 15 games we're 54% corsi, 57% scoring chance, 63% high danger.

I realize usage is a factor but those numbers are absurd."

It's not the player deployment being a mess about that which irritates me. You call them up from Rochester so they can sit in the pressbox and...learn what, how to turn over the puck Vladdy Marco style? Let them get minutes in the AHL if you're just going to sit them..Rochester's in a really tight race for the division, they can't afford to have Buffalo plucking players from them for the purpose of scratching.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Probably belongs on the Buffalo board. Most people on the main boards aren't familiar enough with the team to be able to give good contributions here.

But you are right on all points.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Probably belongs on the Buffalo board. Most people on the main boards aren't familiar enough with the team to be able to give good contributions here.

Eh, we had threads on here about Chiarelli- GM and coach are different, I know, but it's a situation where 95% of the Buff board wants him gone and I wanted to bring the issue to others' attention as well. The next time your team plays the Sabres watch for it. Not directed at you, just a general statement. We'll give up 2 quick goals, at least one of them will be Scandella's fault, and nothing will be done.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011

As a non Sabres fan who doesn't follow them closely enough to know such things, I'm happy for it to be a main board thread.

I'm also curious to see what any defenders say in response.

Reactions: Ahoy there

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I said it before the season started that Michel Therrien would be a good coach for the Sabres. He's is by no means above average, but he doesn't put up with any crap, his team has defensive structure and works hard every shift. Sorround him with good tacticians as assistants, like he had in Gallant, and you're good.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He may not be great or even good, but a decent amount of Sabres fans previously put everything on Bylsma. While coaches can be at fault, they tend to make a much easier scapegoat than accepting the state of your team's actual roster (or by extension your GM is incompetent). It seems like 80% of fanbases here have a significant portion of their fanbase have an issue with their coaches usage of players or strategies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
He may not be great or even good, but a decent amount of Sabres fans previously put everything on Bylsma. While coaches can be at fault, they tend to make a much easier scapegoat than accepting the state of your team's actual roster (or by extension your GM is incompetent). It seems like 80% of fanbases here have a significant portion of their fanbase have an issue with their coaches usage of players or strategies.

I get that and largely agree, we can all be a bit impatient and overly critical- but I’ve honestly never seen a less effective coach. I’ve had my qualms with coaches before, a few major or minor issues, but I’ve never seen a guy do as much wrong as Housley. Every decision he makes has a negative impact, I wouldn’t be so emphatic about this one otherwise.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I said it before the season started that Michel Therrien would be a good coach for the Sabres. He's is by no means above average, but he doesn't put up with any crap, his team has defensive structure and works hard every shift. Sorround him with good tacticians as assistants, like he had in Gallant, and you're good.

Therrien seems to be the kind of coach you bring in to set up structure and get the players playing a sound game, then you replace him with a "player's coach" when he inevitably pisses off the entire room.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Remember when he kept scratching his 2nd best defenseman until the doofus GM sent him down to the AHL

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Bylsma was terrible too. There are less talented teams that play with consistent structure and intensity and are in a playoff position as a result. Somehow for the last 4 years (ok, actually much longer), the Sabres haven't been able to find a guy like that.

That's not to say the roster is great or anything, but having a competent coach goes a long way.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
4) The system. We can't cycle, and some of that is on the players, but you'd hope to see some sorta improvement. It looks worse every game. Defensive marking- the guys put in effort, yet consistently seem lost as to what the actual plan is. Once again, I know they're not a hugely skilled team, but watching 4 guys around the net trying to figure out who has who is just painful. There's no improvement, no adjustment, no system to speak of. They're winging it out there because their "coach" has left them without a working system.

Well, Phil isn't known for his defensive play. Is it really surprising a guy who supposedly couldn't play defense can't coach his team to be any good defensively?

Reactions: The Macho Man

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
It's true we keep blaming the coach, but at the same time is it not possible that both Housley and Bylsma were bad coaches? Our last four coaches have been Housley, Bylsma, Nolan, and Rolston. None of the fired three have gotten a head coaching job since being fired. They're not good head coaches for today's game.

My biggest issue with the "roster" argument is looking at the Islanders. Literally went from worst defensive team to best, almost purely on coaching with some help from goaltending. Full credit to them. But if we had Trotz and they had Housley I don't think it would be surprising at all to see us swapped in the standings. We desperately need a respected veteran coach who can instill some structure and discipline. Phil is just too vanilla and gets outcoached regularily. The Sabres can be really good sometimes but they just do not have consistent structure and their intensity level can waver. Every game you see guys missing assignments or giving the puck away because they don't know what their teammates are doing or where they are. They don't have that rock solid structure to fall back on like the good teams do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad