Confirmed with Link: Phil Housley Hired as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Does anyone have a link that explains Housley's system in detail? It seems to be a focal point but I've never seen it explained in detail. I'm talking X's and O's. All I see about it are references to words like attack, speed, flow, aggressive, offense, and skating.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm pretty sure Housley will be back. Botterill will use New Jersey as an example.
Which is a joke. Hynes implemented a stingy-as-hell defensive system in his first season, and created a pretty solid blueprint for the Devils going forward, where Shero could absorb one-way offensive talents into a strong team defense. Phil hasn't solidified the team in nearly the same way.

Hynes
28th - CA/60
29th - SCA/60
29th - HDCA/60
23rd - xGA/60

Housley
18th - CA/60
27th - SCA/60
20th HDCA/60
18th - xGA/60

There's nothing on the other side of the ledger to credit Housley for either. The Sabres are 31st in actual & expected goals.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Does anyone have a link that explains Housley's system in detail? It seems to be a focal point but I've never seen it explained in detail. I'm talking X's and O's. All I see about it are references to words like attack, speed, flow, agressive, offense, and skating.
I can't do the X's and O's but I can give you a more detailed description of Phil's methodology than most of the public fluff.

If you want to picture Housley's system functioning properly, envision the following:
  • Guhle recovers the puck in the left slot, even with one opposing forward, with Risto engaged at his post
  • He immediately skates past his man, trapping two opposing forwards behind the play
This is the foundation of Phil's scheme. By empowering his defensemen to take on forecheckers 1v1, skate the puck into the zone, and activate as forwards if they're the first in the offensive zone, he creates a ton of difficult decisions for opposing defenses. For example, Ryan Johansen was super good at zone entries last season, because his check kept having to step off him at the blueline to account for the unmarked defensemen barreling towards them.

This system has failed to materialize in Buffalo because the Sabres don't have the end to end skating to support it. It doesn't just need good defensemen, it needs a really high level of precision on the breakout, and any lack of mobility better be compensated by crisp passing. Hell, Shea Weber couldn't even keep up.

Now, this analysis is limited to transition. Over the summer, people were trying to link Housley's system to a fluid, 5 man offensive rotation where defensemen are free to activate below the goal line and into the slot. However, this contradicted one of the gripes about Phil coming over from Nashville, that his power play was very static and featured a lot of low quality shots from the point.

Per the attached, our shot map is indicative of the vanilla offensive zone scheming that Nashville fans bemoaned. Virtually all of the attempts are coming from F/D interplay along the wall, with nothing to suggest defensemen are even creeping into the slot. This also hints at some lazy positioning as well, with supporting forwards too far away for rebounds or puck retrieval.

I'll be generous and give Phil an incomplete here given how shot-to-hell the transition game was. It's hard to get quality possessions when you can't exit the zone.

The hope moving forward now that we know Phil is here and probably ain't changing is some combination of:
  • 18% Dahlin
  • A big growth year from Guhle
  • Nelson being a quality system guy and not CN Gragnani
  • O'Reilly for *insert top pairing D*
  • Botterill getting more Justin Schultz than Nathan Beaulieu with his marginal moves
...sigh

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-9_21-21-39.png
    upload_2018-4-9_21-21-39.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 15

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
So... net front presence is nearly nonexistent..

yup, the forwards on this team are allergic to the slot, and some of us have been saying this for a long time...

I don't care where this team finished in the standings relative to the Bylsma teams, we've scored 199, 201, and 201 goals in the last 3 seasons. This year the goaltending was a tire fire, and as a result we tumbled into last place again. If we improve the goaltending and add a defenseman we can reset and re-assess the effect on team defense, but we still need to figure out how to generate more offense once we're in the zone. Every time this team goes low to high, the forwards look clueless about where to go next. Most of the time they just float around the perimeter thinking that a pass might come back to them. Every other team in the league crashes 2-3 forwards on net immediately following low to high plays. I'm begging for one player that does this consistently.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
One last thing - I neglected to mention off-puck movement in my focus on all the stuff Housley's defenses do with possession.

Housley asks his defensemen to press forward, often ahead of the puck, rather than reading the play from behind and picking their spots. This perpetual attacking of space is what buzzwords like "5 man hockey" are referencing.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
yup, the forwards on this team are allergic to the slot, and some of us have been saying this for a long time...

I don't care where this team finished in the standings relative to the Bylsma teams, we've scored 199, 201, and 201 goals in the last 3 seasons. This year the goaltending was a tire fire, and as a result we tumbled into last place again. If we improve the goaltending and add a defenseman we can reset and re-assess the effect on team defense, but we still need to figure out how to generate more offense once we're in the zone. Every time this team goes low to high, the forwards look clueless about where to go next. Most of the time they just float around the perimeter thinking that a pass might come back to them. Every other team in the league crashes 2-3 forwards on net immediately following low to high plays. I'm begging for one player that does this consistently.

Who can do this on the UFA list? Can someone like Bailey or Fasching do that?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
One last thing - I neglected to mention off-puck movement in my focus on all the stuff Housley's defenses do with possession.

Housley asks his defensemen to press forward, often ahead of the puck, rather than reading the play from behind and picking their spots. This perpetual attacking of space is what buzzwords like "5 man hockey" are referencing.

You come off very pessimistic about it, but it works really well if the players keep their heads up and actually make passes.

Problem is the idiots on this team are too slow to process this (cough Risto) or just plain incapable of making decent passes (cough literally this whole pathetic team)

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I've been praying for Fasching to have a Tuch-like development into this role for 2 years now.

Nothing jumps out from the FA list, although guys like Nash have been mentioned here for a while now. He's certainly not afraid to get his nose dirty.

Our most likely avenue is going to be via trade though; If Montreal becomes a seller I'd move heaven and earth for Gallagher. Same thing with Chicago and Saad (if they're looking for a roster/cap shakeup). Do the Rangers have some remorse with Kreider's contract? Is McGinn undervalued by Carolina?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

And when they do go to the net, almost no one stops there. They fly by, wave their stick at the crease area, and then peel below the goal line.

Honestly? On the AHL team? Blackwell (not on an NHL deal) and Malone. I don't see Bailey doing it naturally in his time in the NHL and Fasching has had plenty of problems but should be that guy. Not sure he's around for a third pro season to see if he can.

That's why Mascherin should be of some interest to the Sabres. The kid's game is all about finding ways to finish.

Reactions: EichHart

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
So... net front presence is nearly nonexistent..

This is the biggest problem. I watched Boston vs Florida last night and they had 1-2 people in front of the net at all times. Reinhart is our only net front presence. Does anyone have a goal chart of Matthews goals, have to be majority in front of net. You simply don’t score on nhl goalies unless it’s a rebound or deflection. Both which occur very close to the net.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
You come off very pessimistic about it, but it works really well if the players keep their heads up and actually make passes.

Problem is the idiots on this team are too slow to process this (cough Risto) or just plain incapable of making decent passes (cough literally this whole pathetic team)
It is what it is.

Housley's is an effective system with the right personnel, but that requires like 3-4 new defensemen given the current state of the blueline, and it might not ever be perfect for a team with Jack Eichel.

It also requires a specific skillset, not just talent - which is why I brought up Weber's phasing out - so even another Scandella type player will only do so much. Being that selective is typically a poor approach to cap sports, and reflects someone who coached in settings with more turnover. Again, our best player is a forward, we shouldn't have to be this picky about the defense.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I can't do the X's and O's but I can give you a more detailed description of Phil's methodology than most of the public fluff.

If you want to picture Housley's system functioning properly, envision the following:
  • Guhle recovers the puck in the left slot, even with one opposing forward, with Risto engaged at his post
  • He immediately skates past his man, trapping two opposing forwards behind the play
This is the foundation of Phil's scheme. By empowering his defensemen to take on forecheckers 1v1, skate the puck into the zone, and activate as forwards if they're the first in the offensive zone, he creates a ton of difficult decisions for opposing defenses. For example, Ryan Johansen was super good at zone entries last season, because his check kept having to step off him at the blueline to account for the unmarked defensemen barreling towards them.

This system has failed to materialize in Buffalo because the Sabres don't have the end to end skating to support it. It doesn't just need good defensemen, it needs a really high level of precision on the breakout, and any lack of mobility better be compensated by crisp passing. Hell, Shea Weber couldn't even keep up.

Now, this analysis is limited to transition. Over the summer, people were trying to link Housley's system to a fluid, 5 man offensive rotation where defensemen are free to activate below the goal line and into the slot. However, this contradicted one of the gripes about Phil coming over from Nashville, that his power play was very static and featured a lot of low quality shots from the point.

Per the attached, our shot map is indicative of the vanilla offensive zone scheming that Nashville fans bemoaned. Virtually all of the attempts are coming from F/D interplay along the wall, with nothing to suggest defensemen are even creeping into the slot. This also hints at some lazy positioning as well, with supporting forwards too far away for rebounds or puck retrieval.

I'll be generous and give Phil an incomplete here given how shot-to-hell the transition game was. It's hard to get quality possessions when you can't exit the zone.

The hope moving forward now that we know Phil is here and probably ain't changing is some combination of:
  • 18% Dahlin
  • Botterill getting more Justin Schultz than Nathan Beaulieu with his marginal moves
...sigh

Great write up.

In regards to the point I bolded, one of this team's many deficiencies is the glaring lack of all-around passing talent.

List of Sabres forwards I generally trust to either effectively pass to players who are on the move, or receive passes while they're already skating fairly hard:
Jack
RoR
Sam
ERod, sometimes
Hopefully Mittelstadt can do this consistently

List of Sabres defensemen I trust to make accurate passes to fairly nearby (i.e. from a bit within the blue line to players nearing center ice) moving targets:
Nelson
Antipin
Risto, sometimes

The Sabres' speed issue isn't just about lack of footspeed, though that is a problem as well. But the lack of crisp passing results in constant turnovers and a near comical inability to produce any quick strike chances off the rush.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

• 18% Dahlin
...sigh
Now can you compare that to the old Soviet system of the 1970's? j/k
Good job!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is the biggest problem. I watched Boston vs Florida last night and they had 1-2 people in front of the net at all times. Reinhart is our only net front presence. Does anyone have a goal chart of Matthews goals, have to be majority in front of net. You simply don’t score on nhl goalies unless it’s a rebound or deflection. Both which occur very close to the net.

But we were informed those goals really aren't as valued as much as goals scored from guys bringing the puck into the zone and scoring from a singular shot. Those rebounds and deflections are reactionary goals. Anybody can do them. :sarcasm:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It is what it is.

Housley's is an effective system with the right personnel, but that requires like 3-4 new defensemen given the current state of the blueline, and it might not ever be perfect for a team with Jack Eichel.

It also requires a specific skillset, not just talent - which is why I brought up Weber's phasing out - so even another Scandella type player will only do so much. Being that selective is typically a poor approach to cap sports, and reflects someone who coached in settings with more turnover. Again, our best player is a forward, we shouldn't have to be this picky about the defense.

I don't think we are. We have one quality defenseman in Scandella, one guy filling minutes, but is an absolute detriment to the team in Ristolainen, and one prospect worth a damn in Guhle. Every other player wouldn't find a roster spot as a 7D for Ottawa.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
But we were informed those goals really aren't as valued as much as goals scored from guys bringing the puck into the zone and scoring from a singular shot. Those rebounds and deflections are reactionary goals. Anybody can do them. :sarcasm:

Difference is that the third forward in this system plays the point to cover for a defender who will pinch in, but this player is also the guy who needs to curl in to the slot for a rebound chance when it happens. It's really not a high skill thing to pick up trash goals in front of the net, but the hockey IQ to recognize when they can stoop low and when they stay high to cover in this system is where it falls apart for this team. They let so many breakaways happen early in the season that the coach told them to err to the side of safety here. Eichel, Reinhart, Rodrigues, and Okposo are some of the only players I would ever see make it to the slot when it's not clogged, and sometimes Pominville. ROR's disappearance largely comes from him being too slow to make it back on the backcheck so he cheats defensively, undermining the offense when it's his turn to be in the slot.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

• 18% Dahlin
...sigh

This is a great post. There is one point I want to add, though. I can’t post the chart now - but will later.

The team chart shows an absolutely abhorrent ability to generate shots in the slot. Without trying to state the obvious, it is incredible how different this team is as generating offense around the crease. The Sabres with Eichel on the ice generated well above the league average in shots in the immediate area around the crease. Shocker, Eichel can generate exceptional offensive pressure.

What the real point is — this team has an exceptionally horrid bottom six. Josefson, Larsson, Girgensons, Pouliot, etc were absolute anchors in generating offensive pressure. These guys specifically (as well as our defense as a whole) were so bad that it generally makes the team look much worse than it is.

It would seem that if Buffalo replaces those four, and maybe Beaulieu, McCabe (and Gorges), with NHL level replacements the team will dramatically improve with addition by subtraction — quite literally. I don’t think that is a huge stretch of the imagination, either, with players like Bailey, Baptise, Mittelstadt, and maybe some other prospects making an appearance at some point in the season (Nylander, Fasching, Olofsson, Asplund, etc).

Defense will be a huge issue next year unless Buffalo gets Dahlin. Even with Dahlin and Guhle full time, I don’t think Buffalo has 6 quality NHL defenseman. The good news is that the forward group will get much younger almost by default. Not to say that our forward group will be amongst the league’s best, but rather there is legitimate room for growth over the course of the season. With the addition of the youngsters and a couple short term UFA fillers, it could be a respectable group with size as speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad