Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Not even a month ago plenty of people were still ready to fire Phil. The team has been on an insane streak, but that's not going to all of a sudden convince me that Phil is the answer, and there are still some elements of the way the team plays that I hate. Let's see how they're doing at the mid-point of the season and at the end of the regular season. If they're still playing well, then no need to make a change.
I agree.
I have been as critical of Housley as the next guy, but i am walking some (not all) of it back. I think he does a lot of confounding things, but he also seems to make some smart in game adjustments. I am not wholly convinced of this miracle transformation, but he has bought some more time as far as i am concerned.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Player interviews today were talking about and praising Housley's system. Can we put that to bed now?

I'm a guy who (low key, b/c I don't post about it until now, I guess) still thinks Housley might actually be a good coach...but...it's probably best not to put much stock into anything players say about their coaches, either on the record (e.g., Buffalo Sabres, tonight, after winning 10 straight games) or off the record (e.g., Ottawa Senators, in the Uber).

Reactions: sabrebuild and jc17

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I was notoriously not. But I just like to call it like I see it. We have that right on this board, I think.
Then that puts you in the same company as a bunch of big Tim Murray fans. Which should be enough to make anyone pause.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They might be playing their system, but it's a crappy system that lends itself to not being sustainable for consistent success long term.

But fans see them near the top of the standings, and believe that they are actually good. When you look and see what they have done during this win streak, they are still getting outshot, they are losing the majority of faceoffs, they still are poor at taking the puck away from teams, they are still giving up a ton of shot attempts.

They are riding really clutch goaltending, and their weaknesses that were around during their 7-6-2 record run still remain.

There is no correlation between winning faceoffs and team success. There is no correlation between shot attempts (Corsi) and team success. Poor at taking the puck away seems to be something you pulled out of your ass. You’ve essentially made a meaningless argument and think its telling us some deep truth we’re missing about this team.

Most of us understand the team isn’t flawless and needs more work. We also know that the margin between winning and losing in this league is very small. We happen to be riding some breaks right now and have a 10 game win streak to show for it. At some point it will go the other way for us. I’m sure when it does we’ll see much more of you in the GDT to point out all the mistakes the team is making.

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Most of us understand the team isn’t flawless and needs more work. We also know that the margin between winning and losing in this league is very small. We happen to be riding some breaks right now and have a 10 game win streak to show for it. At some point it will go the other way for us. I’m sure when it does we’ll see much more of you in the GDT to point out all the mistakes the team is making.
I just hope you’re this snarky to everyone calling Housley good because of the winning streak, as the team is still below average at every metric touched by coaching.

And looking at the number of people taking their “Phil Housley is good, actually” victory lap over the past few pages, I don’t think your framing is accurate.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This is a group that was loudly defensive of Bylsma in public before going over his head to ownership.

Hockey players circle the wagons when things are bad, of course we’re going to hear the fluff when they’re rolling.
I thought most of the players refrained from commenting on Bylsma's system and only a few players showed open support - namely Lehner. I do recall Gionta saying something about systems not mattering that much..... correct me if i am wrong.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
What coach out there would have had the Sabres in a better position than they are in now?

The good lord almighty couldn't have done better in the last 10 games than 10 wins. Probably could have had better advanced stats though, which is really what this debate is about.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The good lord almighty couldn't have done better in the last 10 games than 10 wins. Probably could have had better advanced stats though, which is really what this debate is about.
Remember when you wanted Lindy fired in 10-11, after he coached the hottest team in the league for the second half of the season?

Guess record only matters sometimes, huh?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Remember when you wanted Lindy fired in 10-11, after he coached the hottest team in the league for the second half of the season?

Guess record only matters sometimes, huh?

Lindy was the softest coach in the league. People remember Lucic running Miller. I remember Gomez running Miller, Boychuck jacking up Vanek's knee, Gerbe getting speared, and all the other runnings and beatings that went unanswered that lead up to Lucic running Miller. I didn't like Ruff regardless of record because his ultra soft style wasn't entertaining to watch. It was embarrassing.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Not when the team is decidedly average and riding the percentage luck that gets a coach in the Jack Adams discussion one year and applying for unemployment the next.

If 10 wins in a row was percentage luck than it would be happening more often. I think i heard the last time a last place team was in first place the following season this far into the schedule was in 1968. That is outside percentage luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad