Player Discussion Phil Di Giuseppe

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
I searched and couldn’t find a thread for him, but wanted to share this nice article about DJ Zappy:

I like him, I think it’s impressive how he reinvented his game at 29 and has been amazing for us at nearly league minimum salary.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He's the kind of piece you need to find if you want to have real depth on your team. Perfect fit with 6-9 right now, and if he ever does get bumped down, no concerns about how he'll fit in the bottom 6.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I find it interesting how this Canucks front office seems to be able unearth somewhat older guys who are just waiting for a chance to grow their game.

Guys like Di Giuseppe, Lafferty, Mikheyev, Blueger, Suter, Soucy, Cole and Hronek are 25-plus--but not have they fit into Tocchet's system seamlessly, but they actually seem to be growing as players.

I suppose when you've been in the league for five or six years-and bounced around between the NHL and AHL--all you want is an opportunity to prove yourself. And the Canucks are giving them that chance.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I find it interesting how this Canucks front office seems to be able unearth somewhat older guys who are just waiting for a chance to grow their game.

di giuseppe was a benning signing (altho allvin did resign him when his deal was up)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
di giuseppe was a benning signing (altho allvin did resign him when his deal was up)
True.....but Green never saw him as much more than an NHL-AHL 'tweener, who could fill in for an injury, but that was about it.

Even last year, he spent more time in Abbotsford than with the parent Canucks. And I doubt he'd be the player he is right now if Tocchet hadn't taken a shine to him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I like him, I think it’s impressive how he reinvented his game at 29 and has been amazing for us at nearly league minimum salary.

I like him too. I wouldn't say he reinvented his game, more like he refined + added to his game? I think if you look back at his time in the NHL, there were moments where he looked like a legitimate NHL player and a good one too, but the offensive production ultimately wasn't there to make him stand out. Players tend to age out and stop getting chances when they have never put up strong offensive numbers. Obviously, I don't think he ever got a chance to play a top 6 role with players like Miller and Boeser for such an extended period of time so once he was down the lineup and wasn't producing offensively, coaches decided to go another way. That happened to him here where Green and Boudreau didn't give him a chance.

I think it remains to be seen whether Di Giuseppe sticks. The reality is that there are a lot of players who can fill in on the bottom 6 if given a chance and we've seen our fair share of players. Like Megna played 20 games for the Cup winning Avs, Travis Boyd had two 15+ goal 34/35 point seasons and then hit waivers again. I do think PDG still projects as a bottom 6 winger to me. But he's likely earned an NHL spot for the foreseeable future.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hes been okay the last few games, pott his first since november against vegas, and last night against winnipeg. maybe a reunion with miller and boeser soon? drops suter to the 4th.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The quintessential journeyman pro. Limited talent but gives it everything he has on every shift. He can sit in the press-box for five games, and then emerge giving you the same gritty performance. Probably the reason Tocchet loves the guy.

Canucks have another one in Friedmann. Allvin made reference to him in his HNIC interview. He can practice and watch for a month, and then step in seamlessly and play well.

You can't have enough character depth guys like that on your roster.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2