Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Scott Laughton signs extension with the Flyers (5 years, $3M AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I admit to definitely not being a flyers expert by any means, but 8 points in 40 games, and having missed a full year? do the Flyers really protect Nolan Patrick? I would assume you expose Laughton and Patrick, and hope as the Flyers that Seattle takes the high risk, high reward of Nolan.

please do inform me what I'm missing if I'm wrong, I don't mean to detract from Nolan if he's playing well points aside, but 16 points in 82 game pace seems really low for a 2nd overall.
Nolan missed 20 months of hockey. This year was always about staying healthy and hopefully getting the migraines under control. He has not been able to train hard in 3 years. That takes a toll.

Next year will determine what Patrick is/likely becomes.

View attachment 421327

What are the Flyers doing lol?
This is a replacement level player they’re locking up for this price this long.
By definition you can replace him, and usually from within at a low cost
Using a PP chart is dumb considering he doesn't play the PP.

Here is what the charts don't say....he is 7th on the team in ES scoring the last 2 years.

The last 2 years, he has played 87 games and has 44 ES points. That's not replacement level and it shows why these bar graphs mean little. To further prove my point, the last 2 years:

Laughton 44 ES pts in 87 games
Beauvillier 44 ES pts in 101 games
Kadri 44 ES pts in 92 games
Coleman 44 ES pts in 106 games
Thomas 43 ES pts in 87 games
Suzuki 42 ES pts in 109 games
Pageau 41 ES pts in 108 games
etc....

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Something to be said for a bottom 6 player that chips in production wise. Leads the team in +/-. Term is probably a year too long but at that price it's not hard to swallow.

Surprising the Flyers aren't going for at least a medium sized shakeup move though.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Something to be said for a bottom 6 player that chips in production wise. Leads the team in +/-. Term is probably a year too long but at that price it's not hard to swallow.

Surprising the Flyers aren't going for at least a medium sized shakeup move though.

I don't think there is much they can do at the moment. Most teams seem hesitant to take on a dollar, and the ED throws a wrench in plans until the lay of the land is more clear.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Yep, and that will be the Flyers for the next 10 years. Couturier is next--he'll get a 8.8 mil x 7 year deal when he's 29.
And that will be a great deal for the Flyers.. any team in the league that has space will pay him more.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
surprised people dont like this one, hes worth 3 mil for sure and hes only 26
3m is fine but that 5 years is a bit on woof side.

Flyers have a bunch of 2nd-4th liners in the system on the way so Laughton was expendable. If you could trust Fletcher, you would give the term a pass but other than Gudas for Niskanen, The Fletcher signings/trades all have grades of c- to f.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Great deal for the Flyers. Laughton is one of the most underrated players in the league. I wish they had only given him three years but at that term they are paying him way more than 3 million in aav. He also gets way more than 3 million on the open market. Better to have a valuable player like him locked up at a reasonable cost than trade him for a 2 and a 5 or something like that.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
This is a fine deal for a guy who would’ve gotten a lot more in UFA. Really an ideal bottom 6’er who plays with an edge and makes the Flyers a pain to play against.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
5-year deal for any 3rd liner (complementary players) is ALWAYS terrible.

Yeah, Fletcher is gonna build another mediocre team.

Hayes for 7 years. Laughton for 5 years.

Both Braun and Hagg for 2 years in the last summer.
He traded for Grant and Thompson before TDL last year.

I can't wait for another his moves.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
1.5 good seasons out of 8 and the Flyers give him a 5-year deal, lol. Can't make this stuff up. After the way these players have stunk up the joint this season, nobody on the team deserved a rewarding 5-year deal. Now that he landed his nice deal, we'll see the old Laughton back... and we'll be stuck with him for 5 years.

Next up, Couturier. Here comes 8.8 x 7 for a 2-way forward who gets banged up and will start declining in 3 years.

The Flyers have no idea when to sell high on players and how to make impact trades. At least under Mr. Snider this team was cherished--now with Comcast owning us--this organization is no easy to dislike.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
5-year deal for any 3rd liner (complementary players) is ALWAYS terrible.

Yeah, Fletcher is gonna build another mediocre team.

Hayes for 7 years. Laughton for 5 years.

Both Braun and Hagg for 2 years in the last summer.
He traded for Grant and Thompson before TDL last year.

I can't wait for another his moves.

This is Fletcher's deal...

In Minny he overpaid for Suter and Parise, then sat idle and watched the team be "just okay" for 10 years. Did nothing to take them to the next level.

Just like he re-signed junk like Braun and Hagg, without doing anything else of significance, he'll re-sign players like Laughton and Couturier (and overpay in either cap hit, term, or both) and wait until Giroux retires without winning anything important.

To make matters worse, he'll likely not be able to trade Jake, JVR or Giroux, so he'll panic when there's whispers that his job is on the line, and trade someone like Konecny or Farabee for a 29 year old player with 2 decent years left.

Let's consider this is the same GM who's only UFA addition was a player who ended up riding the bench half the season, only to trade him for a 7th rounder while eating 50% of the contract lol.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
5 yrs could scare Seattle away

Flyers, along with half the league, have a lot of different scenarios available to them to protect their "best". This is definitely a signing that might add protection for Laughton from getting taken. But Flyers will definitely lose a useful piece one way or another...

I admit to definitely not being a flyers expert by any means, but 8 points in 40 games, and having missed a full year? do the Flyers really protect Nolan Patrick? I would assume you expose Laughton and Patrick, and hope as the Flyers that Seattle takes the high risk, high reward of Nolan.

please do inform me what I'm missing if I'm wrong, I don't mean to detract from Nolan if he's playing well points aside, but 16 points in 82 game pace seems really low for a 2nd overall.

Yep, it's been a terrible year for Patrick, stats and on-ice play. He's one of 5 or 6 useful Flyers who could be Kraken bound, depending on what the team decides. Patrick? Ghost? Voracek? JVR? Laughton? NAK (ha). Lindblom? Or others, it's really a crap shoot..

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Middle six guy that can play all positions in the lineup. Don't mind this at all.

Yeah, the Flyers seem to collect these types of players then wonder why they never win anything substantial.

If someone told us 12 months ago that the Flyers would be signing Scott Laughton to a 5-year deal x 3 mil cap hit, this entire forum would have erupted in either disgust or laughter. After a hot run (during a contract year) the Flyers open up the checkbook, bid against themselves, and some fans are alright with it. lol

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yeah, the Flyers seem to collect these types of players then wonder why they never win anything substantial.

If someone told us 12 months ago that the Flyers would be signing Scott Laughton to a 5-year deal x 3 mil cap hit, this entire forum would have erupted in either disgust or laughter. After a hot run (during a contract year) the Flyers open up the checkbook, bid against themselves, and some fans are alright with it. lol

He was on a hot run this year? That’s news to me. Guy collects EV points at a great clip. Evolving-Wild contract projections tool, which compares players and contracts, said he gets almost 4mil at 5 years so sounds like a deal to me.

Compare this to a contract like Brandon Tanev and get back to me.

A middle six guy that has position versatility for 3mil? In a flat cap world? You’re crazy if you don’t see that value.

“Opening the checkbook” for 3 mil lmao gtfoh

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
3m per year is chump change

5 year term in not.

All these deals are "chump change" until the fans want the Flyers to make an impact trade and they have zero cap room left. Then these Braun, Hagg, Laughton, JVR, Hayes deals all start adding up.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Meh player on a meh contract.

That's a lot of years to commit to him though. I guess they can always trade him.

I would have just traded him and then try to re-sign in the summer. If he goes elsewhere in the summer then its no big deal, dime a dozen.

I think Flyers could have gotten a 2nd/3rd for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad