Trade: [PHI/PIT] Kenny Pickett and 2024 4th for 2024 3rd and 2 2025 7ths

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It might not seem much, but it is a warning to Jalen Hurts imo.

If they think Hurts is just a product of AJ Brown, they're looking for the next guy.
Jalen Hurts was already on the clock, this doesn’t change it.

Yeah, I really don’t get this from eagles point of view

It’s not much but dropping from 98 to 120 is not insignificant either.
It’s basically a 4th round pick in value. The Eagles invest in backups.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Never understood the hype drafting Pickett for Pittsburgh, the numerous 'comparisons' of Kenny Pickett to Dan Marino because both were raised in Pittsburgh and both went to the University of Pittsburgh. That should've stopped there, Marino is an all time talent while Pickett was just another guy.

It happens all the time with QBs - - desperate teams will reach badly and waste a 1st round pick on a no-talent hack because they’re trying to “fill a need”.

Same thing will happen this year when someone makes the foolish mistake of reaching for JJ McCarthy or Mike Penix.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Never understood the hype drafting Pickett for Pittsburgh, the numerous 'comparisons' of Kenny Pickett to Dan Marino because both were raised in Pittsburgh and both went to the University of Pittsburgh. That should've stopped there, Marino is an all time talent while Pickett was just another guy.
Pickett is from Ocean Township, New Jersey, part of the Jersey Shore, South Jersey is closer to Philadelphia then Pittsburgh, but sure, he was born in Pittsburgh alright to hell with actual geography.

Last edited:

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I was shocked at the trade until i saw this. Not a good look.
I'm not, he threw a fit and refused to dress as a backup against Seattle when he came back from injury and wasnt playing overly great to start with, he ducked his exist interviews on clean out day didnt even make eye contact with the media people, said he had no problems with Wilson coming in as competition hell Wilson called him told him lets work together, may the best man win and do whats best for the team, Pickett proceeded to throw a temper tantrum and demand a trade like a spoiler entitled diva.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just to give a few more details about this from a Steelers follower - and yeah, I like Pickett more than most, but this is mainly coming from someone very frustrated with how the Steelers do business -

It wasn't going to be a competition. The last time the Steelers ran a competition, in 2022, the Steelers said it was a competition then didn't allow Rudolph or Pickett to compete with Trubisky all summer. He started with the 1sts and nobody else got a chance with them.

So when this happened...

He thought "I've seen this movie before". Also believed to be part of why Rudolph allegedly wanted nothing to do with coming back to the Steelers after playing his way into having options.

Also, and this is coming from a Pittsburgh sports site of so-so veracity (but then there's no reliable insiders on Pittsburgh sports including the people who originally reported this) in DKPittsburghSports, but allegedly the real story on this

Just something to consider when Zach Wilson got ripped for considering doing the same thing, but Pickett was refusing to dress as the QB3 at the end of last season.

Apparently the real story is that Pickett believed he would either start or not dress that week. Since Rudolph had been named as starter for the Seattle game, and Pickett had neither been medically cleared to start or been going through the regimen he'd have needed in order to play that week.

So when Pickett arrived in Seattle to find his stall had been set up, he and all the other QBs were very confused. Pickett asks Tomlin for a meeting to clear this up. Tomlin immediately declares that Trubisky is number two and Pickett isn't dressing, and Pickett isn't named as emergency QB because either Tomlin didn't think about it/Pickett would have had to take painkilling injections before hand (the sources didn't know that bit for sure).

Caveat emptor.

In any case, there's ample reason for Pickett to be very frustrated with the Steelers (not even going into the miserable two years history here) and he's gone from back-up in an org that's crap with QBs and offence to one that's pretty good with those things.

I don't know whether he'll be any good for them, but assuming the talent around him can lift him, he'll at least be better than he was in the Steelers.

Reactions: DaveG and GKJ

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What a difference in handling adversity between a no-talent gimp like Ken Picket and Tom Brady.

Out of everything Brady accomplished, what I respect the most is how he handled this exact situation at Michigan. All of the big money wanted Drew Henson to start even though Brady was clearly the superior QB.

Brady didn’t transfer and he didn’t whine to the media like a puss. He’d just wait on the sideline for Henson to shit his pants and put Michigan into a big hole. Then Brady would come in to bail them out and win the game.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Just to give a few more details about this from a Steelers follower - and yeah, I like Pickett more than most, but this is mainly coming from someone very frustrated with how the Steelers do business -

It wasn't going to be a competition. The last time the Steelers ran a competition, in 2022, the Steelers said it was a competition then didn't allow Rudolph or Pickett to compete with Trubisky all summer. He started with the 1sts and nobody else got a chance with them.

So when this happened...

He thought "I've seen this movie before". Also believed to be part of why Rudolph allegedly wanted nothing to do with coming back to the Steelers after playing his way into having options.

Also, and this is coming from a Pittsburgh sports site of so-so veracity (but then there's no reliable insiders on Pittsburgh sports including the people who originally reported this) in DKPittsburghSports, but allegedly the real story on this

Apparently the real story is that Pickett believed he would either start or not dress that week. Since Rudolph had been named as starter for the Seattle game, and Pickett had neither been medically cleared to start or been going through the regimen he'd have needed in order to play that week.

So when Pickett arrived in Seattle to find his stall had been set up, he and all the other QBs were very confused. Pickett asks Tomlin for a meeting to clear this up. Tomlin immediately declares that Trubisky is number two and Pickett isn't dressing, and Pickett isn't named as emergency QB because either Tomlin didn't think about it/Pickett would have had to take painkilling injections before hand (the sources didn't know that bit for sure).

Caveat emptor.

In any case, there's ample reason for Pickett to be very frustrated with the Steelers (not even going into the miserable two years history here) and he's gone from back-up in an org that's crap with QBs and offence to one that's pretty good with those things.

I don't know whether he'll be any good for them, but assuming the talent around him can lift him, he'll at least be better than he was in the Steelers.

I'd feel a lot more sympathy if he actually showed anything on the field or was making relative peanuts in salary.

This all just seems like grasping at straws. He's not good enough to be a starting QB and is trying to blame anyone else but himself for that truth.

Reactions: DaveG

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

So when this happened...

Caveat emptor.

DK is a money mark for his own site and a total carney.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd feel a lot more sympathy if he actually showed anything on the field or was making relative peanuts in salary.

This all just seems like grasping at straws. He's not good enough to be a starting QB and is trying to blame anyone else but himself for that truth.
Yep. Steelers have been making bad decision after bad decision at QB for the past few years. Pickett, Trubisky, Haskins... They're all trash. Pickett might have had a chance if he had been able to hold the clipboard for a year on a team with a competent line and good starter in front of him. Instead he gets to play behind the trash the Steelers have been rolling out and had Trubisky as the other option his first year.

Reactions: LT

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yep. Steelers have been making bad decision after bad decision at QB for the past few years. Pickett, Trubisky, Haskins... They're all trash. Pickett might have had a chance if he had been able to hold the clipboard for a year on a team with a competent line and good starter in front of him. Instead he gets to play behind the trash the Steelers have been rolling out and had Trubisky as the other option his first year.
He was the most pro ready Qb in his class and was 25 not some raw 21. Fields and Willson who were drafted a year earlier ate younger than KP. His issues were evident in college if he went to any other college he would’ve not been drafted in round 1 most likely

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I mean, I don't really care about Pickett one way or the other at this point, but all this stuff implying Pickett only has himself to blame and that the situation was clean and straight forward absolves the Steelers of being a shitshow throughout the process. Which is why I felt the need to add a bit more info about why a young QB might think he doesn't want to be there.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I mean, I don't really care about Pickett one way or the other at this point, but all this stuff implying Pickett only has himself to blame and that the situation was clean and straight forward absolves the Steelers of being a shitshow throughout the process. Which is why I felt the need to add a bit more info about why a young QB might think he doesn't want to be there.

Oh I'm not trying to imply the Steelers are blameless at all.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad