Trade: [PHI/NO] Saints and Eagles trade a bunch of picks

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He’s coming back, it’s a foregone conclusion and I think 99.9% of the league knows it as well.

I dunno, did you see what Aikman just got from ESPN? Payton can make double doing TV once a week with pretty much no stress. He's got his HOF spot locked in so coming back would purely be for love of coaching.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I dunno, did you see what Aikman just got from ESPN? Payton can make double doing TV once a week with pretty much no stress. He's got his HOF spot locked in so coming back would purely be for love of coaching.
Fox moved to elevate Greg Olsen to Aikman’s role so there doesn’t seem to be a current path for him to do that. It’s definitely not a foregone conclusion what he does though, the Dallas rumors have been around him for like 10 years.

Reactions: Voight

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My feeling they(New Orleans) are geering up for a trade up with the Jets for 4th overall.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Not likely.
It would be very odd to acquire 2 first round pick in this year draft without knowing which player you want/will be available. Unless they are VERY confident about their top 20 and disregard completely the player's position.

It seems to indicate to me that they will be QB hunting.

Past history also indicate that teams are more likely to trade up for QB than any other position.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Fox moved to elevate Greg Olsen to Aikman’s role so there doesn’t seem to be a current path for him to do that. It’s definitely not a foregone conclusion what he does though, the Dallas rumors have been around him for like 10 years.

I was thinking more out loud, I feel that if he wanted to do TV there would be no shortage of suitors.

Just pondering here, but I'd guess he waits out the season to see if the Dallas job opens up, if he truly wants to coach there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There's nothing really out there to suggest those top 5 teams even prefer an extra mid-1st this year vs just taking what the Saints gave up to acquire that pick. If anything, the talk is the Giants are looking to add a 2023 pick if they trade down and now the Saints don't have that chip. Obviously we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but I don't think this is a precursor to another deal on the surface.

I just think the Saints see themselves as a team that continuously drafts in the 20s anyway so why not bump it up a year for basically a 2024 2nd that is years away from contributing? On the other side, the Eagles have extra picks and are taking a bet on the Saints taking a step back this year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It would be very odd to acquire 2 first round pick in this year draft without knowing which player you want/will be available. Unless they are VERY confident about their top 20 and disregard completely the player's position.

It seems to indicate to me that they will be QB hunting.

Past history also indicate that teams are more likely to trade up for QB than any other position.
The last 2 times they did this, they took a running back and project DE. They could be QB hunting (they did try to get Mahomes), but their moves after not getting Watson is pointing to going with Winston, and Winston needs more weapons. The Saints just don’t do things like everyone else does things and they don’t put the same value on actual draft picks like others do. They are at least just as likely trying to get next year’s 1st round pick in the building a year early.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The move to me was to leapfrof the Chargers, who are known to want a OT and they've just jumped one spot ahead of them with yesterday's trade. With the crazy price WR's got this summer, they can land a very solid WR with the 19th overall pick with Wilson/Williams/London, which is also another need of theirs.

Finalize that with the signing of Tyrann Mathieu, who visited the Saints today, and you have a very solid roster right there... especially in a division that is pretty weak and saw the Bucs struggle against the Saints in every single one of their regular season games.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Or Malik Willis somewhere. Just have to get ahead of Carolina at #6.
There's no way we did all of this to draft Malik Willis. I see us adding 2 starters and filling two needs with both 1st rounders and if we can manage to do this, I'm pulling backflips lol

1649253908940.png

*Jameson Williams will be available around week #6 but he's just too good to pass up if he's on the board at #16. I don't see Raimann being on the board at #19, especially with the Chargers picking right after us but Trevor Pinning should be available and would be just as good of a pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they’re not making the trade to consider a QB in round 1, they’re not drafting Ridder in round 2. He won’t be there anyways. Unless he’s going to start, to which they wouldn’t have signed both Winston and Dalton.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Winston literally just came out saying he and management had serious talks and how he wanted to be the guy to be built around.. This trade is management building around him. They go shore up the offensive line and the receiving core. If Michael Thomas is back and they add another elite talent, everyone is properly slotted. Trautman and Hill are at TE, and there's a proper backup behind Winston now. I think if the saints get someone like the honey badger they gotta be looked at as contenders on the same level as the Bucs and Packers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad