Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Michael Raffl signs extension (2 years, $1.6M AAV)

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
At $1.6M he can be buried if needed and barely only like $700k counts against the cap. It's also $750k/year less than he made on his previous deal.
You do need bottom-6 players to succeed in the league - seems very fair.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You win playoff games with guys like him. Fair deal.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
As long as the team doesn't hesitate to move him down or out of the lineup should one of the young guys prove better

Raffl is a solid team player and I am sure he is a positive influence.

Reactions: wufuhimself

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I love it. Raffl is a great bottom 6 (middle 6 in a pinch) winger. He had a very bad game last game, but he has otherwise looked very good this year as a two way power forward type player, good forechecker too. Ive always been a fan of Raffl. Reminds me of the best Ukranian player of all time: Ruslan "Rosie" Fedotenko. Won a few cups, he did ;)
Great bottom 6 guy that you win with. In team videos players always say hes one of the funniest guys on the team. He's very well liked and part of the leadership group with G and Jake and is now resigned for a very reasonable length of time at a more than reasonable contract.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I like it. We have the cap space, he's not going to hurt us on the ice any worse than any other bottom 6er for that price. He's a better player than he is often given credit for being. I wanted him resigned and it's cheaper than I would have expected.

Yes, some of the young guys may eventually be better but let them EARN it and force him out of the lineup. Also, look at it this way, if some of the younger guys DO push him put of the lineup, he's a solid bottom 6er that we can trade for a pick if he has no place on the team moving forward

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I like it. We have the cap space, he's not going to hurt us on the ice any worse than any other bottom 6er for that price. He's a better player than he is often given credit for being. I wanted him resigned and it's cheaper than I would have expected.

Yes, some of the young guys may eventually be better but let them EARN it and force him out of the lineup. Also, look at it this way, if some of the younger guys DO push him put of the lineup, he's a solid bottom 6er that we can trade for a pick if he has no place on the team moving forward

Plus wouldn't you rather have him on the 4th line (his price is perfectly reasonable for a 4th liner) than one of the young guys who are better off in the top 9 or the AHL?

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
When raffle wants to play he is not a bad player but i expected someone better on our 4th line going forward... sick of our PK, sick of our soft 4th line that does not play d.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Raffl has been one of the most effective PKers on the team the last two years, probably the most effective. This season he's been on the ice for 4 total PP goals against in 59 total minutes. He's also been on the ice for 2 SH goals for, one of which he scored. That's a net -2 while shorthanded for what is essentially a full 60 minute game. That's pretty incredible. The past two seasons he has a 5.5 GA/60 while shorthanded. Giroux is the next best at 6.06 GA/60. Hopefully they see that as a role they can expand on over the next 2 seasons so guys like Couts and Giroux don't have to be primary PKers anymore.

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Plus wouldn't you rather have him on the 4th line (his price is perfectly reasonable for a 4th liner) than one of the young guys who are better off in the top 9 or the AHL?
That’s sort of the problem. The flyers are lacking an elite F. Take away Giroux and Couturier from the mix because they play C. Giroux has been playing wing, but he’s well over all min metrics (games played) as a C for those ranking- 1st in faceoffs and stuff like that. Voracek is elite, but there are consistency issues with laziness.

According to Clarke’s presser a couple weeks ago, the flyers are going to heavily pursue Panarin (FA) or offer sheet Marner/Point. He literally used the words we will look to get one of Marner or Point.

Raffl is overlooked by flyers fans. He’s a really effective player. However, a lot of us want some of the young kids to come up because they’re NHL ready. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is especially one of them. This team is too soft and doesn’t put up a fight. That kid is like Konecny in a sugar high. He’ll fight anything (doesn’t always win) and check anything. We need speed in the B6. He has that. I’m fine with the Raffl signing, it’s just that I don’t want the other vets (Varone, Knight, even Bailey) taking their spots. Varone has NHL talent, just don’t want him here lol.

The team needs a shakeup behind the bench too. It’s just seems that Gordon is doing the same thing the old regime did- stuck to the “safe” vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad