Trade: [PHI/MIA] J.T. Realmuto to Phils for Sixto Sanchez, Jorge Alfaro, Will Stewart, intl money

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Rumor has been that the Marlins ask from the Braves has been Albies + Soroka or Acuna straight up. If true, I'm glad we stayed away.

per Jon Heyman of MLB Network, the team needed only to surrender two of Austin Riley, Cristian Pache, and one top pitching prospect (of which Atlanta has several: each of Mike Soroka, Ian Anderson, Touki Toussaint, Bryse Wilson, Kyle Wright, and Joey Wentz are top 100 prospects in at least one major outlet). Ozzie Albies, said to be an essential part of any Realmuto deal with Atlanta, was never a demanded centerpiece, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Though certainly a substantial return, it’s a package that can’t be said, by any reasonable analysis, to be one that would have stripped the farm of the suddenly-conservative Braves to the bone.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The asks from marlins to certain teams per heyman and Rosenthal

The ask of the Dodgers, ever-cautious themselves, was two from a group of Dustin May, Keibert Ruiz, Gavin Lux, and Will Smith, per Heyman

Rosenthal confirms earlier reports that the Fish first coveted outfielder Michael Conforto or Amed Rosario from the Mets, and adds that the team also needed a “top shortstop prospect,” presumably Andres Gimenez, to be added to the deal. It doesn’t appear the club pivoted to other names after the Mets balked, likely owing to the thinned-out version of the late-offseason Mets farm.

From the Yankees, the club did seek Gary Sanchez and Miguel Andujar, per Rosenthal, but only part of a “larger deal” that would obviously have included additional pieces. The Bombers were understandably reluctant to trade either, and the wheat of the Yankee farm – stocked mostly with high-upside, low-level types – wouldn’t have been enough to secure Realmuto’s services. The reported three-team with the Mets that would have sent Noah Syndergaard to New York was bandied about, but a copacetic swap was “never close.”

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Braves dropped the ball here if those above posts are true.
Not that I disagree, but I think 2 things came into play...

1) Realmuto trade is still somewhat of a gamble as he's only signed for 2 years.
2) It looks like the Marlins were targeting a pair of position prospects from the Braves farm. While their system is stacked, it's all pitching. After Pache, Riley, and Contreras, there really isn't any position players to get excited about (now that Acuna is up).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not that I disagree, but I think 2 things came into play...

1) Realmuto trade is still somewhat of a gamble as he's only signed for 2 years.
2) It looks like the Marlins were targeting a pair of position prospects from the Braves farm. While their system is stacked, it's all pitching. After Pache, Riley, and Contreras, there really isn't any position players to get excited about (now that Acuna is up).
Do you think the Marlins had ulterior motives (trying to deplete your farm system more than other teams)?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Do you think the Marlins had ulterior motives (trying to deplete your farm system more than other teams)?
Not so sure it's that. He's reportedly been on the market for a long time, so I'd assume the ask has been rather large from every team. The take from the Phillies was pretty significant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad