Waived: [PHI] Flyers waive Shayne Gostisbehere (cleared)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If I had actually said that, sure. You on the other hand apparently aren't going to own your ''Ghost was waived out spite'' comments.
Do I believe that Ghost speaking out against AV TWICE helped lead to him being waived? Yes.

After all, we have a worse version of Ghost making 3 million....why not waive him?

Reactions: Curufinwe

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Do I believe that Ghost speaking out against AV TWICE helped lead to him being waived? Yes.

After all, we have a worse version of Ghost making 3 million....why not waive him?
NHL organizations don't run their franchises out of spite. That's ridiculous and it's shocking that you believe that. He also never came right out and spoke against AV. He was critical of the team and kept it general. Furthermore, they have been trying to trade him for about two years now, which dates back to the last GM and coach.

I've argued with you plenty in the past but unlike a few other people on the Flyers I respect your opinion and knowledge. For some reason you have blinders on when it comes to Ghost. You'd think that all 30 NHL teams passing on him for free would open up your eyes but instead it seems to have just put you in a position to keep doubling down with no money left to put on the table. Was it spite or some league wide conspiracy which caused him to go unclaimed on waivers. Come on man, you are better than this.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NHL organizations don't run their franchises out of spite. That's ridiculous and it's shocking that you believe that. He also never came right out and spoke against AV. He was critical of the team and kept it general. Furthermore, they have been trying to trade him for about two years now, which dates back to the last GM and coach.

I've argued with you plenty in the past but unlike a few other people on the Flyers I respect your opinion and knowledge. For some reason you have blinders on when it comes to Ghost. You'd think that all 30 NHL teams passing on him for free would open up your eyes but instead it seems to have just put you in a position to keep doubling down with no money left to put on the table. Was it spite or some league wide conspiracy which caused him to go unclaimed on waivers. Come on man, you are better than this.
you are talking 2 different things

Do I think Ghost is better than Gus...so waiving Ghost was IN PART due to Ghost being outspoken? You bet.

Do I believe Ghost has good trade value? No. You must have missed when I wrote this on March 24...BEFORE Ghost was waived.

"It's obvious.

Ghost has played well for parts of the season
Ghost has been healthy all season
Ghost has been healthy scratched multiple times by multiple coaches

All the signs are there that we are ok not having him on the roster, and he is still here. So that leaves only a few options:

Teams want to give us cap back and it's a player we don't want
Or no team is offering anything worth while

If someone, anyone was offering a fair trade, we would move on from him. If anyone was offering picks, we move on from him. Maybe we can package him in a bigger deal for something that makes sense. Who knows.

But I think we all know that there isn't lots of GM's calling on him, and we keep saying no."

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
This confirms what many of us have suspected: talent evaluation among NHL front offices is abysmal.

How this guy goes unclaimed is a complete mystery. He's a good offensive defenseman, even now, who does not have a ridiculous contract to boot. Just mind boggling.
He's an absolute trainwreck defensively. Until he makes a commitment to not be a complete liability in his own zone, he simply isn't good enough to be in the NHL. This might be a wakeup call, demonstrating to him that the way he plays defense is unacceptable.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
This confirms what many of us have suspected: talent evaluation among NHL front offices is abysmal.

How this guy goes unclaimed is a complete mystery. He's a good offensive defenseman, even now, who does not have a ridiculous contract to boot. Just mind boggling.

Or they don't get invovled with misplaced hype that fans do.

Reactions: snoop88

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
He's an absolute trainwreck defensively. Until he makes a commitment to not be a complete liability in his own zone, he simply isn't good enough to be in the NHL. This might be a wakeup call, demonstrating to him that the way he plays defense is unacceptable.

the thing that frustrates me with ghost is he is often right in position but just doesn’t finish the play defensively. I don’t expect him to knock people down but so many goals where he doesn’t tie up a guys stick at least.

I said 2 years ago that he may max out at a JM Liles level and some people freaked out. It wasn’t an insult but people seem to think he is Scott Neidermayer and multiple GMs and coaches are sabotaging him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad