Confirmed Buy-Out [PHI] Flyers buy out D Tony DeAngelo

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
As is true in every profession, if you're going to be an ass, you'd better be irreplaceable. I guess a 40+ OFD isn't.

He also takes a lot of penalties. Compare him to Gustafsson. Both are OFD who are better in sheltered roles and get a ton of PP points. But Gustafsson took almost a fourth the penalty minutes.

Gustafsson also just signed for 825k

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
In fairness, and I don't mean "I'm just axing questions" but real fairness, defending needs the accusations first.

So give 'em. What precisely, in detail, has D'Angelo done that has been wrong in an objective look?

(I have a list but it's more interesting to ask you first.)

If I was True Evil I'd point out that your dear avy wasn't exactly a role model for progress and equality in the world, but I won't.
They're all around in this thread, in posts that I didn't author. Asking the authors themselves would be the smarter move than asking me, whose sole contribution before that was that DeAngelo would be a solid contributor to a Youtube channel that has over a million suscribers.

C'mon... you can do it. ... I'm sure you can.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Good enough sheltered in 3rd pair and running PP2. The baggage turned out to be empty cases last time around in Carolina. Are you thinking he's going to South Carolina?

I would think so- they’re the one place that took a risk on him, it worked fine, they’ll do it again. The rest of the nhl is risk-averse for a bottom pairing offensive dman at this point.

Edit- and damn, seeing some other posts I didn’t know he was still offensive in that way. Figured the dude just wasn’t really likable, if he can’t shut up on politics no wonder he has trouble finding a spot.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
You can still be rich and be the biggest idiot, douchebag asshole toolbox everyone knows about. The fact he's so good at hockey is probably the only thing keeping him from being one of those regular people who keep getting fired from every job they work because they won't stop being an asshole. His career is going to be over the moment he can't produce offensively at a very good level because no one will have any reason to continue putting up with him anymore

There was a trade lined up for him for like a solid week and it's not impossible his most recent incident is why he continues to be unsigned. He could probably be had for basically free now and suddenly even Carolina has gone radio silence about him

Your favorite word is asshole. Are you Ismo?

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I like how last year, HF posters pretty much thought Torts with DeAngelo would be a disaster. Now that it's the disaster everyone predicted, there seems to be a large % of posters placing the majority of the blame on DeAngelo. To be clear, Tony doesn't get the benefit of the doubt based on his history, but neither should Torts.
Why would Torts get blamed for a locker room cancer refusing to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone? Torts gave that piece of garbage far to many chances and he still whined when he was put in the press box where he belongs.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Why would Torts get blamed for a locker room cancer refusing to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone? Torts gave that piece of garbage far to many chances and he still whined when he was put in the press box where he belongs.

This was 4 years ago, but 30% names Torts as the coach they'd least like to play for. Probably for a reason.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
They're all around in this thread, in posts that I didn't author. Asking the authors themselves would be the smarter move than asking me, whose sole contribution before that was that DeAngelo would be a solid contributor to a Youtube channel that has over a million suscribers.

C'mon... you can do it. ... I'm sure you can.
No, they aren't, and that's why I asked. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and we all know the Internet is chock full of nothingburgers and hearsay just carried on and amplified at every iteration... (I'll add that I'm not a big fan of ninja edits that change the entire post, like you just did there, but I'll digress. No biggie.)

Reactions: captainpaxil

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, they aren't, and that's why I asked. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and we all know the Internet is chock full of nothingburgers and hearsay just carried on and amplified at every iteration... (I'll add that I'm not a big fan of ninja edits that change the entire post, like you just did there, but I'll digress. No biggie.)
I made the original post at 10:35 AM.
I edited the post at 10:51 AM. For what was mostly grammatical reasons.
You posted this somewhere between 4:55 and 5:00 PM. You made another post in the interim, at Noon.

Ninja Edit, my ass. You were only trying to come up with something smart, and it took you over 5 hours to do so. ... And frankly, you could've used a few more weeks.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I like how last year, HF posters pretty much thought Torts with DeAngelo would be a disaster. Now that it's the disaster everyone predicted, there seems to be a large % of posters placing the majority of the blame on DeAngelo. To be clear, Tony doesn't get the benefit of the doubt based on his history, but neither should Torts.
The Torts narrative is overblown big picture

He can wear on certain players not ready for accountability or who’ve otherwise just lost interest, and he can have a shelf life but a lot of players actually liked playing for Torts, especially after he sorta reinvented himself a bit more tame after Vancouver.

Philadelphia is one of those places players have to be losing interest as he’s not really there to be anything but a rebuild coach and the team isn’t competitive. Though I don’t think that’s DeAngelo who should be happy another team took a chance on him. He legit sucks at defense and has had attitude issues w authority his whole career. Except maybe the Canes but he was in a good sheltered role there, maybe an abnormally strong room.

I remember after the Georgiev thing, it was put out there that it wasn’t just the punch. That was the final straw, the coaches had had other issues with his attitude and trying to get him to relax, I’m pretty sure he was benched at one point. He wasn’t taking the hint and they had enough.
(And, I mean, offensively gifted right handed defensemen are constantly in demand. How many teams need to move on from him before some posters accept it’s not “political”, idk)

I’ll try to find the article, but people here were baselessly speculating players leaving CBJ was him, but interviewed former players said many liked Torts, and that some players didn’t like the ‘small town’ feel of CBJ, while the team has a rep for harsh negotiations and some players felt offended or unwanted (the team trying to convince them they’re worth less)

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He also takes a lot of penalties. Compare him to Gustafsson. Both are OFD who are better in sheltered roles and get a ton of PP points. But Gustafsson took almost a fourth the penalty minutes.

Gustafsson also just signed for 825k
Deangelo will also fight guys for your team tough little guy.

Anyways I still think he signs , MAB kept getting contracts after he injured his starting goalie in the finals , sure he's probably a nicer guy but he injured his starting goalie in the finals.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Torts narrative is overblown big picture
My point is that everyone predicted the two of them (Torts and DeAngelo) would be like oil and water, and they were. Signing/hiring both of them was an odd decision to begin with because pretty much everyone predicted something like this would happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad