Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc. (Late 2015 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He's just under a ppg for his WHL career and +64.

That's so awesome, especially for a defenseman. I hope he makes the Flyers next season.

Wow that's amazing. He very well could be the best dman out of the draft, third best player overall. A player like him could really improve the d Corp dramatically. He should get a shot as long as we can make a move.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Oliver Bjorkstrand was +60 in 59 games just last year. +142 for his WHL career (3 seasons).

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
He's been their best player so far. They'd be one of the worst teams in the league opposed to knocking on the door for a playoff spot right now if they didn't have him playing the way he has been.

The key with Stolarz will be can he finally finish a year out strong as he hasn't done it in the OHL & AHL to this point.

He just looks different though this year. His positioning has been very good & there's not much panic to his game right now. He's really dialed in.

I think the new goalie coach and the head tracking is really helping him improve his game.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I'm super stoked to have a well rounded guy like Provorov coming up! I just hope we give him time to develop properly. Best case, he could turn into our drew doughty ^__^

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm super stoked to have a well rounded guy like Provorov coming up! I just hope we give him time to develop properly. Best case, he could turn into our drew doughty ^__^

It's so unfortunate that Provorov won't be AHL eligible for next season. I am anticipating that he make the Flyers out of camp next season simply because he won't have much to learn in the WHL after this season.

Spoken with authority from one who has practically never seen Provorov play.

My dream – well, semi-realistic – scenario is the following 2016-17 defensive line-up:

Del Zotto – Medvedev
MacDonald – Gostisbehere
Provorov – Gudas
Alt

Then Del Zotto gets dealt, Provorov moves to the top pairing, and Morin moves up.

Provorov – Medvedev
Morin – Gostisbehere
MacDonald – Gudas
Alt

Then ... MacDonald gets dealt for a late 1st, and I am sooo happy that I leap out of my seat in my corporate loge at the WFC, accidentally spilling some champagne on my trophy wife Kate Upton, and disturbing a conversation of Dave Grohl in the next loge over, who turns out to be just as nice in person as you would think. We get to talking about sports and music and, yes I do play a little guitar, Dave. Tour with you? I guess I have the time after winning the lottery and quitting my job. So I ...

fc9a48497e3a38836eb0d76ab42f9363e968b232.jpg

... mmmrghhll ... Tuesday morning.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's so unfortunate that Provorov won't be AHL eligible for next season. I am anticipating that he make the Flyers out of camp next season simply because he won't have much to learn in the WHL after this season.

Spoken with authority from one who has practically never seen Provorov play.

My dream – well, semi-realistic – scenario is the following 2016-17 defensive line-up:

Del Zotto – Medvedev
MacDonald – Gostisbehere
Provorov – Gudas
Alt

My dream is similar.

MDZ-Gudas
Provorov-Medvedev/Streit
MacDonald-Ghost
Alt

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wouldn't Provorov be eligible for the AHl next year if he was 14 days older?

Such ridiculous rules.

I believe Dermott & Carlo will be able to play in the AHL next year... but multiple guys from the same draft year who are more ready for pro hockey and better calibre of players will not be able to!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I blame Mr and Mrs Provorov.

Although, if he was born on 12/31 would that mean he couldn't play in the WJC this year?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
By definition, someone will get screwed by a few days. Even if you change the date it just means that some other prospect would get screwed.

We just get unlucky with Provorov, but it's fine. No need to worry over something so marginal.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
By definition, someone will get screwed by a few days. Even if you change the date it just means that some other prospect would get screwed.

We just get unlucky with Provorov, but it's fine. No need to worry over something so marginal.

It should just be aligned with the NHL draft dates IMO.

Ineligible for AHL in draft +1 year.
Eligible for AHL in draft +2 year.

That would ensure that the CHL was not getting completely screwed and kept a lot of it's talent... but that players who were best suited to playing in the AHL would be allowed to at age 19... not every drafted player would be in the AHL anyway, guys like Leier, Goulbourne etc would have been in junior regardless that year.

Or if the CHL feel that is too harsh on them:

Ineligible for AHL in draft +1 year.
1st rounders (or 1st+2nd) eligible for AHL in draft +2 year.

That would make the whole system make more sense tbh, and be better for the players in regards to being in the best place for their ability level.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I really do think he should be able to handle a regular top 6 role next season the way Hanifin is doing this season, so hopefully him not being eligible for the AHL isn't actually an issue.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The CHL rule is fine the way it is. You take out the best 19 year olds and that hurts the talent pool of the league and the younger kids don't get to challenge themselves against a Travis Sanheim or Darnell Nurse.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Watching Provorov's last game against the Warriors. He's just so smooth in his skating. You barely see when he starts skating harder but all of a sudden he just starts flying by some players. I think the best way to describe Provorov is that he's conservative. He can head fake, dangle, pinch offensively, but he only does so when he deems necessary. I also like how defensively responsible he is. Even if he could beat someone to a loose puck in the Ozone, he usually gets back and into position so that he can nullify the ensuing attack and counter attack and start the rush the other way. His passing is always on point, he plays his man so well almost without fault it seems. It's like Kimmo Timonen just transplanted his veteran brain into an 18 year olds body

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watching Provorov's last game against the Warriors. He's just so smooth in his skating. You barely see when he starts skating harder but all of a sudden he just starts flying by some players. I think the best way to describe Provorov is that he's conservative. He can head fake, dangle, pinch offensively, but he only does so when he deems necessary. I also like how defensively responsible he is. Even if he could beat someone to a loose puck in the Ozone, he usually gets back and into position so that he can nullify the ensuing attack and counter attack and start the rush the other way. His passing is always on point, he plays his man so well almost without fault it seems. It's like Kimmo Timonen just transplanted his veteran brain into an 18 year olds body

A bigger 18 year old.
Which does matter, Kimmo's only real flaw was his lack of size.
Provorov should fill out to around 205-210 lbs, similar to Gudas.
And that's big enough to handle yourself when the going gets rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad