Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [The Days are Getting Longer Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
th

Check the team's website for changes. (updated February 3, 2022)​

Lehigh Valley Phantoms 2021-22 HOME Schedule

All HOME Games at PPL Center
Phantoms 2021-22 Home and Away Schedule –HOME GAMES in BOLD

Lehigh Valley Phantoms Media and Team Coverage
Allentown Morning Call

American Hockey League
Lehigh Valley Phantoms
Inside AHL Hockey
Reading Royals Media and Team Coverage
AMMS_346c1fecd0096361f423ad759d96e9c3

ECHL
Reading Eagle
Reading Royals
Additional
OIP.TGOjWeNTM1mVFWd4ZlJsZwHaEH

Last edited:

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Yes tonight the Phantoms play the Bruins in Allentown at the PPL Center. They have not announced lines and d pairs yet. I do expect Frost to be 2nd line center with Cal O'Reilly 1st line.....don't worry both will get about the same number of minutes.......York should be on 1st pair but he will run either the 1st or 2nd PP. Perhaps Clendening and York on 1st PP together?? Where Ratcliffe will play could be on any line; before he left for the Flyers he was 4th line LW with PP and PK duties.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Phantoms blowout Bruins 5-1 in the most dominant game this year!!!!

Hodgson 2 goals ; Frost, Wylie and O'Reilly with the other goals. Wylie 2 assists for a 3 point night. Crushed them on the boards. Crushed behind the nets. Other than poor old Strome, speed and more speed......holy smokes!! Sandstrom was strong in goal. Defense made super outlet passes. Ratcliffe had a strong game. Ditto Sushko. MacKinnon who was a Dman in the ECHL is now the 4th line RW with speed. He had 2 shots on goal. Clendening name was hardly spoken. York, Zamula and Hogberg played solid defense. Ditto Logan Day particularly in the 3rd where he broke up tons of plays from the Bruins.

Hodgson leads the Phantoms in goals scored at 11. Not world setting but a kid that was on a tryout and is now your top RW. Speed and a pretty decent shot, particularly the last goal ....top shelf glove side.
Oh yeah he can hit like a ton of bricks

Loved it.....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How is Hodgson's skating? He's scoring at an elite prospect level, is this a fluke or are we looking at a late bloomer - he has the size, obviously the scoring touch. If he can actually skate, he's earning a cameo at some point.
He's 25, 6'2 207, if his scoring is for real you have to think they'll give him a chance to replace MacEwen.

It's nice to see some prospects who seemed to have stagnated over the last year pick it up the last couple months.

Reactions: macleish1974

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
How is Hodgson's skating? He's scoring at an elite prospect level, is this a fluke or are we looking at a late bloomer - he has the size, obviously the scoring touch. If he can actually skate, he's earning a cameo at some point.
He's 25, 6'2 207, if his scoring is for real you have to think they'll give him a chance to replace MacEwen.

It's nice to see some prospects who seemed to have stagnated over the last year pick it up the last couple months.

Lappy thinks he will make it in the NHL. He is speedy and has a nice shot plus his passing is better than 1/2 the Flyers.....he is better than MacEwen at every metric including when to blast someone and not to blast someone. He is notice-able virtual everytime he is on the ice. He gets back on defense and hustles like tonight's the last night he will ever play hockey. He does fight. I am sure he would beat Wilson, but he would not back down for sure, for sure...

I love the storyline.....beats any Flyers storyline. And Lappy seems the right kind of coach for this bunch of overachievers and no-names...

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Lappy thinks he will make it in the NHL. He is speedy and has a nice shot plus his passing is better than 1/2 the Flyers.....he is better than MacEwen at every metric including when to blast someone and not to blast someone. He is notice-able virtual everytime he is on the ice. He gets back on defense and hustles like tonight's the last night he will ever play hockey. He does fight. I am sure he would beat Wilson, but he would not back down for sure, for sure...

I love the storyline.....beats any Flyers storyline. And Lappy seems the right kind of coach for this bunch of overachievers and no-names...

I forgot.....it is Saulnier's [ little shit that he is] and Garrett Wilson's job to fight. I know most of you dislike Garrett Wilson as a Flyer, but he is a great AHLer.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bobby Brink had a five point night (1G & 4A) last night. He’s up to second in scoring with 40 points (9G & 31A) in 25 games. He’s first in PPG with an 1.60 average.

Ronnie Attard had a four point night (3G & 1A) last night. He’s up to first in defensemen scoring with 28 points (11G & 17A) in 24 games. He’s first in PPG with a 1.17 average.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bobby Brink had a five point night (1G & 4A) last night. He’s up to second in scoring with 40 points (9G & 31A) in 25 games. He’s first in PPG with an 1.60 average.

Ronnie Attard had a four point night (3G & 1A) last night. He’s up to first in defensemen scoring with 28 points (11G & 17A) in 24 games. He’s first in PPG with a 1.17 average.

We have some players playing at a high level in college and other venues.
Brink is approaching Caufield's sophomore season (Brink is six months older as a junior)
Attard is showing that his outrageous USHL scoring wasn't a fluke. He has made steady progress in college.
McLaughlin is 5th in ppg in the USHL.
Desnoyers is 9th in ppg in the Q.
Sampson 26th in ppg among WHL D-men
Lycksell 26th in ppg in the SHL

The cupboard isn't exactly bare.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'm glad they at least get to enjoy playing hockey before turning pro.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Saw some highlights and it appears his skating has improved. Good to see he’s improved every year since his breakout in the USHL.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Attard should have had four. Got one blocked in the crease. That's his second hattrick of the year which I would guess is some kind of modern day feat for a college hockey defenseman. He'll probably be a Hobey Baker frontrunner considering WMU is a top 5 team.

I'm really curious how he translates to the next level. Goal scoring defensemen don't really bring their goals with them like forwards. I'm sure he'll get PP opportunities, but he operates as a triggerman at the left faceoff circle which is a spot, on a normal team, where a forward operates. Of course the Flyers roll out 2D on their second unit like its the 90s so maybe it won't matter.

Before you get too excited, he could walk in August if he wants...Joys of drafting 20 year olds.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Attard should have had four. Got one blocked in the crease. That's his second hattrick of the year which I would guess is some kind of modern day feat for a college hockey defenseman. He'll probably be a Hobey Baker frontrunner considering WMU is a top 5 team.

I'm really curious how he translates to the next level. Goal scoring defensemen don't really bring their goals with them like forwards. I'm sure he'll get PP opportunities, but he operates as a triggerman at the left faceoff circle which is a spot, on a normal team, where a forward operates. Of course the Flyers roll out 2D on their second unit like its the 90s so maybe it won't matter.

Before you get too excited, he could walk in August if he wants...Joys of drafting 20 year olds.

Why would he walk, he's still looking at an ELC, and what team provides a better opportunity for a RHD?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why would he walk, he's still looking at an ELC, and what team provides a better opportunity for a RHD?

It is pretty unlikely.

Kalynuk is the only Flyers college draftee to walk in the last 10 years, and he’s back in the AHL. Marody was traded for a 3rd, and he’s also an AHLer. They haven’t lost anyone important that way.

Reactions: renberg and dats81

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If college players sign this spring, they can eat a year off their ELC, and get about 15 AHL/NHL games under their belt before TC next fall.
Waiting for August would reduce their chance of playing in the NHL in 2022-23.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
York isn’t enjoying playing hockey?

Considering he played on one of the worst teams in the AHL while he was there and was then promoted to one of the worst teams in the NHL, I doubt he's been having a blast at the rink this season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's nice that they sort of turned things around, but the reality is that they are .500 and 7/8 in their Division, 11/15 in the Conference with virtually no shot at making the Playoffs :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's nice that they sort of turned things around, but the reality is that they are .500 and 7/8 in their Division, 11/15 in the Conference with virtually no shot at making the Playoffs :laugh:

So what?

Given the paucity of talent, especially the last two months when they turned the season around, it's obvious they've been able to implement a more structured scheme, and improve player fundamentals and performance. Playing good hockey with a team that has few stars (without Frost, Willman, York and Mayhew) is an accomplishment in and of itself. Developing a player like Hodgson is why you have an AHL affiliate - your top prospects at most need a little polishing and adjustment to pro hockey - it's the marginal players where you can make a difference over a couple seasons of coaching.

And that's the true measure of AHL coaching - Gordon had some competitive teams due to talent, but in hindsight, he didn't do a great job preparing his players for the NHL. Meanwhile, for the most part, players recalled from the Phantoms this year have held their own, Willman has been solid, even Mayhew has been respectable.
Now if they can turn some marginal prospects like Sushko, Rubtsov, Bunnaman, Ratcliffe, Hogberg, Wylie into NHL players - they've earn their paychecks.

Reactions: renberg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wonder how much losing Nick Pryor changes/hurts Flyers US drafting.

For all the pooh-poohing of Flyers drafts...

2014-2021 used 17 picks on US based players.

Like ~12 seem likely to play in the NHL. Ofc several just cups of coffee on in depth role, but still, a lot of those are 4-7th rounder who usually only have like a 20% chance to play in the league.

And given places took guys? Objectively quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad