Rumor: Phaneuf may be in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Would go down as one of the dumbest moves in the last 10 years. Gagner gives us 3 #2 Vs (with kadri and frank, add Bozak if we resign him) and Gardiner Franson as our top pair......yikes.......

Then I guess we disagree on what kind of players Ganger and Smid can be, also I think your undervaluing the #7 pick, which could be along the lines of a Monahan or Lindholm who in a couple years solidify that top line C for the next decade. a 1C will not be handed to us, he will need to be drafted. This gives us a chance to do that, and fill a couple other holes in the meantime.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
If I read into the rumors this is what I would take from them.

Nonis doesn't believe in making anyone untouchable, which is fine, if we had a Crosby this would be a different story.

Dion is a UFA next summer.

In the event contract talks don't materialize, Nonis already wants to have an idea of what he can get for Phaneuf.

As a result he is kicking the tires with those who ask in order to determine his market value.

This is more of a backup plan to protect himself in the worst case, but has no interest in moving Dion.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if nonis thinks he's gonna pry letang from Pittsburgh which is maybe why phaneuf would be on the trade block

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't know why we'd trade our only top pairing defenseman for a forward. Even if we have another deal lined up for a top pairing D-man, we're back were we started in that we only have one top pairing guy.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Okay, obviously Nonis isnt going to trade Phaneuf for nothing. And its not like he wants to move Phaneuf. Hes a smart GM, which is exactly why he is open to trading Phaneuf.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If he trades Phaneuf, he likely has a replacement in mind via trade or free agency. Just don't know who that would be per say.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
maybe the pressure of the media is getting to Phaneuf - he wouldn't be the first and it wouldn't shock me

I felt he was a bad choice as a captain from the start but a good top 3 player

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Did Nonis' balls drop while working under Burke? Jeez man. Anyway I have faith in him, but trading Phaneuf would be a strange move to say the least.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Young centreman?? Sean Couturier + Flyers first for Dion??

Also, gotta think Philly would need to give up a Young D Prospect as well

Not sure flyers do that, but as a Leafs fan you have to at least consider it. The longterm gain of adding Couturier and one of Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock, Wennberg, Horvat, or Domi. Would be worth the short term pain of losing Dion IMO.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
All depends on the return.

To make it worth it, I'd want at a young potential Number 1 centre (not 2A, not 2B, #1A), or a Top 5 selection, or a hefty collections of picks and prospects.

Either way, a steep price for any team to pay, but that is what I would hope Nonis is looking for. There is no other reason to take such a step back, take chances with above average prospects, or acquire 2nd line talent.

KULEMINakajesus

Dec 8, 2010
You guys really want Phaneuf for 7m+ till hes 35?

I said it earlier, in 2 seasons the leafs won't need dion... Think long term Gardiner and Reilly have top pairing talent. We need a true stay at home physical shut down D and dion doesn't fit that bill.

petehill16

Jun 17, 2013
Not sure flyers do that, but as a Leafs fan you have to at least consider it. The longterm gain of adding Couturier and one of Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock, Wennberg, Horvat, or Domi. Would be worth the short term pain of losing Dion IMO.

Sean Couturier is for all intents and purposes untouchable. But, you gotta factor in how desperate the flyers are for a 25 minute a night guy. Couturier + Nurse for Dion would be huge

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have no problems with trading Dion for a number 1 centre, but Gagne isn't a number 1 centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland