Phaneuf and Gardiner on the PP

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Gardiner and Phaneuf are two of the team’s better shot threats available on the powerplay, yet Phaneuf hasn’t scored on the powerplay since February 26th of last season (70 games), has two powerplay goals in his last 118 games, and Gardiner hasn’t scored on the powerplay since April of the 2013-14 season (albeit while playing a minute less on the PP than Dion). The two are the leading defencemen on the team since 2014-15 in PP TOI/game at 3:18 and 2:18 respectively.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...mpa-bay-lightning-1-vs-toronto-maple-leafs-0/

I've always thought Phaneuf lacks creativity on the power-play, and his shot misses the net far too often

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I've always thought Phaneuf lacks creativity on the power-play, and his shot misses the net far too often

If it gets through at all, that is. Seems like way too many shots end up in defenders' legs & feet. I think part of that is the passing - shots are never tape to tape, so the player receiving always has to take extra time to settle the puck down, and shooting lanes get closed off.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
So to sum up -
Phaneuf can't play top d-man minutes or he wears down
He can't score on the PP
And he gets beat to the outside far too often

I hope they find a taker
And this isn't to bash him - for 5 mill he's a good d-man.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's common knowledge that they suck on the PP lol. In one PP Rielly showed just how much better he is at moving the puck, getting it on net and just in general Qbing from the point. At this point it's just to bring up Dion's value.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I think Babcock has recognized this and started putting him infront of the net last night similar to Chara. Big body, tough to move. Seems like a good place for him if he can't handle the point anymore. Rielly should be on the 1st unit full time.

Speaking of hitting legs and skates, the last two games have been incredibly frustrating. The whole leafs team together has put a weeks worth of pucks in skates against Florida and TB.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
It's common knowledge that they suck on the PP lol. In one PP Rielly showed just how much better he is at moving the puck, getting it on net and just in general Qbing from the point. At this point it's just to bring up Dion's value.

Not to mention how much better Morgs is at keeping the puck in the zone, or Wide Awake Jake if he's playing that night. (As opposed to Casual Jake, which we've been seeing more of recently. He really is Jekyll and Hyde). Part of it's skating, part of it's anticipation. I doubt that Dion will ever be called to zombie Principal Skinner's office because of his big chess club brain.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In the case of Dion I think there trying to maximize his trade value.

PP time gives him (in theory at least) the ability to increase his point totals.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Phaneuf is an obvious ploy to increase trade value. As for Gardiner, I guess they want him to gain more offensive awareness? I mean, contrary to popular belief, Gardiner's a pretty good defensive defenseman in terms of minimizing shots against and makng great zone exits (passes or skating out himself), it's his offensive game that kinda sucks (always shoots it right at the goalie's chest, not very smart at passing in the offensive zone, not the greatest shot power, turnovers, etc). But as of right now, Rielly is far better as an option for the PP than Gardiner IMO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Phaneuf is an obvious ploy to increase trade value. As for Gardiner, I guess they want him to gain more offensive awareness? I mean, contrary to popular belief, Gardiner's a pretty good defensive defenseman in terms of minimizing shots against and makng great zone exits (passes or skating out himself), it's his offensive game that kinda sucks (always shoots it right at the goalie's chest, not very smart at passing in the offensive zone, not the greatest shot power, turnovers, etc). But as of right now, Rielly is far better as an option for the PP than Gardiner IMO.

I don't claim to be too bright but if people on a message board can recognize such an "obvious ploy" how is it that those involved in the game are expected to be duped by it?

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't claim to be to bright but if people on a message board can recognize such an "obvious ploy" how is it that those involved in the game are expected to be duped by it?

GMs do really dumb things all the time.

i wouldn't give hem too much credit.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
ploy or not its not as if theres a line up of D who would be better options over Phaneuf other than Rielly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad