Phaneuf accomplishment overlooked

Flames Will

Aug 2, 2005
I find it interesting that in a year so deeply laden with rookie talents.. that there is one overlooked accomplishment which is even more rare then Ovechkin getting 50 goals or both Ovechkin and Crosby netting 100 points.... Phaneuf has reached 2 milestones this evening.
1. The 3rd ever rookie defenseman to reach 20 goals in a season - in itself more rare the rookie 50 goal scorers

2. Having been born on April 3, 1985 and having JUST turned 21 - he became the 2nd youngest Rookie to ever score 20 goals in a season and if I am not mistaken the third youngest defensman ever to score 20 goals. (Ray Bourque scored 27 goals as a 20 year old) Barry Beck scored 22 goals as a 20 year old as well (but his birthday was in June) Phaneuf is 2 months older then Beck when he scored his 20th.

So while Ovechkin and Crosby get theri well deserved praise for such incredable feats... And Henrik Lundqvist continues to marvel in the net for the rangers as a rookie.. It is a shame that we forget this accomplishment from yet another stellar rookie of 2006 that in almost any other year woudl win the calder trophy as rookie of the year. Phaneuf is perhaps the best defenseman at his age since Ray Bourque and if he continues his growth and development, maybe he will be the best defenseman since Bobby Orr - who knows and oonly time will tell...

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
as a defenceman naturally he doesnt get enough credit... i think phaneuf definitly gets alot of kudos though just never on the scale of ovechkin... and never will he's a d-man

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'll go out on a limb and say this. Phaneuf has been the best rookie, bar none, this year. For all the hype and talk that Ovechkin and Crosby get, Phaneuf has done an amazing job in his rookie year learning a position that normally takes several seasons to lock down before being considered an elite player. Phaneuf has been elite. I'd go out on a limb and say he's probably been the best defenseman in the league this year. I'm sure all the Lidstrom and Blake and other fans will be on here crying and moaning, but when you look at it, Phaneuf has been just as good as everyone of those guys and has been all the more impressive when you consider his age.

Yeah, Phaneuf won't win the Calder this year, but I should hope to hell is in the running for the Norris trophy at the very least.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
I'll go out on a limb and say this. Phaneuf has been the best rookie, bar none, this year. For all the hype and talk that Ovechkin and Crosby get, Phaneuf has done an amazing job in his rookie year learning a position that normally takes several seasons to lock down before being considered an elite player. Phaneuf has been elite. I'd go out on a limb and say he's probably been the best defenseman in the league this year. I'm sure all the Lidstrom and Blake and other fans will be on here crying and moaning, but when you look at it, Phaneuf has been just as good as everyone of those guys and has been all the more impressive when you consider his age.

Yeah, Phaneuf won't win the Calder this year, but I should hope to hell is in the running for the Norris trophy at the very least.

First of all Phaneuf is not as good as Nik Lidstrom, at least not yet.

Secondly if your going the route that defense is a harder position to lock down as a rookie, your shooting yourself in the foot. As a defenseman you can be PUT into situations. The toughest position in hockey ESPECIALLY as a rookie is in goal. So if we are going by your logic Lundqvist should be rookie of the year. Although I am a Rangers fan I am no homer. Calder goes to Ovechkin hands down.

1.Ovechkin
2.Crosby
3.Lundqvist

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
TheChief said:
First of all Phaneuf is not as good as Nik Lidstrom, at least not yet.

Secondly if your going the route that defense is a harder position to lock down as a rookie, your shooting yourself in the foot. As a defenseman you can be PUT into situations. The toughest position in hockey ESPECIALLY as a rookie is in goal. So if we are going by your logic Lundqvist should be rookie of the year. Although I am a Rangers fan I am no homer. Calder goes to Ovechkin hands down.

1.Ovechkin
2.Crosby
3.Lundqvist

Agreed.

For someone to even suggest that Phaneuf is the best defenseman in the NHL is ridiculous. Phaneuf is not even Calgary's #1 defenseman. Regehr is.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
20 goals, as a rookie, as a defenseman, on a team that doesn't score goals is very impressive.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Flames Will said:
I find it interesting that in a year so deeply laden with rookie talents.. that there is one overlooked accomplishment which is even more rare then Ovechkin getting 50 goals or both Ovechkin and Crosby netting 100 points.... Phaneuf has reached 2 milestones this evening.
1. The 3rd ever rookie defenseman to reach 20 goals in a season - in itself more rare the rookie 50 goal scorers

2. Having been born on April 3, 1985 and having JUST turned 21 - he became the 2nd youngest Rookie to ever score 20 goals in a season and if I am not mistaken the third youngest defensman ever to score 20 goals. (Ray Bourque scored 27 goals as a 20 year old) Barry Beck scored 22 goals as a 20 year old as well (but his birthday was in June) Phaneuf is 2 months older then Beck when he scored his 20th.

So while Ovechkin and Crosby get theri well deserved praise for such incredable feats... And Henrik Lundqvist continues to marvel in the net for the rangers as a rookie.. It is a shame that we forget this accomplishment from yet another stellar rookie of 2006 that in almost any other year woudl win the calder trophy as rookie of the year. Phaneuf is perhaps the best defenseman at his age since Ray Bourque and if he continues his growth and development, maybe he will be the best defenseman since Bobby Orr - who knows and oonly time will tell...
If you take a look around on these boards you will soon find out that Phaneuf is far from being ignored. In almost every top rookie thread that guy is mentioned in the top3. He gets lots of acknowledgment.

o-dog

May 24, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Nothing Phaneuf has done has been overlooked. When you have a rookie with 50 goals, an 18 year old nearing 100 pts and a goalie that has carried his team (and country) all year, it's hard getting headlines. Phaneuf gets his acknowledgements proportionately. The 20 goal thing is huge, but it is on the same level as all the other rookie accomplishments this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Just as good as Lidstrom? :biglaugh:

Transported Upstater

BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Dion Phaneuf is as good as Niklas Lidstrom....

You just told me everything I needed to know about your hockey acumen.

francklem

Mar 8, 2006
My award by position : Foward Ovechkin Defense Phaneuf Goaly Lundqvist

I can only dream that one of those 3 guy play for Montreal .

The Calder goes to Ovechkin but i wouldn t be against a Calder for Offensive rookie and another one for defensive rookie .

Transported Upstater

francklem said:
My award by position : Foward Ovechkin Defense Phaneuf Goaly Lundqvist

I can only dream that one of those 3 guy play for Montreal .

The Calder goes to Ovechkin but i wouldn t be against a Calder for Offensive rookie and another one for defensive rookie .

I have no argument with that whatsoever.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
TransportedUpstater said:
Dion Phaneuf is as good as Niklas Lidstrom....

You just told me everything I needed to know about your hockey acumen.

Absolutely he's been. If you take a look at the contributions to their respective teams, Phaneuf has been every bit impressive as Lidstrom. Look at that lineup Lidstrom gets to play with. Compare that to what Phaneuf gets to play with and it's quite easy to see that Phaneuf's contributions have been more impressive. That's a fact. Say what you want about my "hockey acumen" but I'm willing to bet that if Phaneuf were in Detroit, there'd be no question about how he's performed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
Absolutely he's been. If you take a look at the contributions to their respective teams, Phaneuf has been every bit impressive as Lidstrom. Look at that lineup Lidstrom gets to play with. Compare that to what Phaneuf gets to play with and it's quite easy to see that Phaneuf's contributions have been more impressive. That's a fact. Say what you want about my "hockey acumen" but I'm willing to bet that if Phaneuf were in Detroit, there'd be no question about how he's performed.

I totally disagree. Phaneuf has been the best rookie defenseman in the league this year, no doubt about it. However, he has a long way to go to be as effective at both ends of the ice as Lidstrom is.

Last edited:

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Flames Will said:
2. Having been born on April 3, 1985 and having JUST turned 21 - he became the 2nd youngest Rookie to ever score 20 goals in a season ...

Somehow, I just don't believe this stat.

The 2nd youngest to ever score 20 goals? That's including forwards?

Dogbert*

trippyime said:
Somehow, I just don't believe this stat.

The 2nd youngest to ever score 20 goals? That's including forwards?

I'm pretty sure he means the second-youngest rookie defenseman.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Quite an impressive year, and imagine if he was on a team that could actually score. 30 goals for a rookie d-man!

Vic Rattlehead*

Flames Will said:
maybe he will be the best defenseman since Bobby Orr - who knows and oonly time will tell...

You are basing this off one season?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
You know what.......for however exaggerated this thread has gotten........meaning Phaneuf has not had as good of year as Nick Lidstrom......and its a little early to be calling him best dman since Orr.......The post makes sense.

Phaneuf while getting talked about this season........has still been overlooked a lot due to Crosby and Ovehckin.

I would say Phaneuf wins the Calder in most other years which Crosby and Ovechkin arent involved.......Phaneuf will not win the calder this year but IMO should be up for the award, he should be the third guy on the list.

Thats not saying anything about Lundquist who I believe will be up for the Vezina and not even be top 3 in rookies.

But this year has been ridiculous for rookies........there hasnt been a rook class like this in years......if ever......Crosby and Ovechkin getting 100 points or close.....Ovechkin getting 50 goals.......Lundquist has been ridiculous in net for the Rags.......Carter and Richards arent even getting mentioned at this point and they are both having very strong rookie years.......Phaneuf has been the top dman on Calgary this year and "one of" the best in the NHL at 21(dont bother arguing this i didnt say the best or 2nd or even third)

But the guy who really really has been overlooked is Andrei Mezaros.....this kid has been phenomenal in Ottawa......sure not as good as Phaneuf has been.......but hes playing an incredible amount of minutes in Ottawa and is top 4 on the team in D already.....not to mention he led the league in plus minus for much of the year and almost has 40 points. This is another kid who only years ago would have won the Calder himself.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
From what I've seen (East coast college student without Center Ice) he's been phenomenal. What hurts him the most is that he plays in the Western Conference.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Overlooked? Phaneuf ? Dont make me laugh.

If you want to talk about overlooked, have a look at the second tier of guys behind Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Lundqvist. It's very true that nobody remembers #2 and in a great year for rookies, they are the underrated ones.

Guys like Seabrook, Whitney, Ballard, Meszaros are the overlooked ones.. not Phaneuf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad