NFL: PGT: Super Bowl 50

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah I can't believe he walked off the field without even acknowledging Peyton

Wait

But I dunno you played a lot of football, so maybe you know something I don't.

What does this have to do with anything? Simply because I don't worship Cam Newton? Keep crying as usual when another poster has a different opinion about your favorite team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That's not how you conduct post-game, press conferences. Plain and simple.

Actually, it kinda is. Granted I've never covered a Super Bowl, but I have covered 15-20 NBA or NFL games and the press rooms are usually set up with flimsy plastic dividers or whatever. It's all supposed to be modular so you can break it down and put it back up quick and easy.

Regardless, it's a poor excuse for him walking out. All these guys do is trash talk each other for 60 straight minutes. He cannot be that emotionally fragile.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
What does this have to do with anything? Simply because I don't worship Cam Newton? Keep crying as usual when another poster has a different opinion about your favorite team.

You said he didn't take his medicine. He went up to Peyton and congratulated him and was extremely humble about it.

I don't give a **** if anyone likes him or not. But most of this criticism isn't even based in reality. No one said **** when Peyton left the field without speaking with Brees, or how he had a quick and terse media appearance after SB 48.

Football is an emotional game. You know, you've played. Dude just lost the biggest game of his life, he's allowed to be down.

We have literally murderers and rapists and domestic violence abusers that have donned an NFL jersey and some who still do. But yeah, let's make a big deal because sad Cam didn't answer awful questions.

Roboturner913 said:
Actually, it kinda is. Granted I've never covered a Super Bowl, but I have covered 15-20 NBA or NFL games and the press rooms are usually set up with flimsy plastic dividers or whatever. It's all supposed to be modular so you can break it down and put it back up quick and easy.

That's not how the NHL does it. It's lazy and unnecessary.

Best In The Game

Nov 13, 2013
ottawa
I don't understand why people don't like "showboating" as long as it is not directed at an opposing player. Where does it arbitrarily fall on a scale of taunting to celebrating?

I love it when a player celebrates after a big play. Too bad it is going the way of hockey where they want them to show no emotion at all after they make a big play.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Cam should have stayed and answered questions properly. But man, this walking out **** has blown up for no reason. He wears his heart on his sleeve, that's what you're gonna get with guys like that. I imagine he'll answer questions about the game soon enough.

Don't really care about his celebrations. I hardly notice them most of the time, and am not even a little bit offended by them. Look forward to another year of dabbing.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

Regardless, it's a poor excuse for him walking out. All these guys do is trash talk each other for 60 straight minutes. He cannot be that emotionally fragile.

I've only been on the team end, but we've always had the athletes completely separated.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Originally quoted by Gene Parmasean I don't speak for other fans. I said it all year about Carolina. You can talk trash and showboat all you want but take your medicine when you get smacked back. It makes them appear as front runners and paper tigers. Just my opinion as a guy who played a lot of football.

Right, I'm questioning why people who have no connection at all to Cam Newton feel the need to do that vigorously.

Posted by PALE PWNR I don't like people that showboat or rub it in when they are winning. And it bothers me that people immediately jump to, "its a racial thing", when he's criticized. Plenty of people get crap for ****** reasons. But a lot of people seem to insist it's because Cams black that that's the reason he gets criticized. And while it may be true for a small portion of people. I don't think blatant racism is as prevalent as people like to think it is and my opinion of him being a child certainly has nothing to do with it.

And you're right. He doesn't owe me or any fans anything. If he wants to act like a child he can do so and I can take my shots at him for it. He does owe the Carolina Panthers though, both his teammates and the ownership. And he does owe the NFL because its his responsibility to talk with the press after the game, everyone has to.

First, the racial thing was in response to a poster who was criticizing Newton for being an inconsistent person- ie he acts differently when he is winning vs. when he is losing. Which is how everyone acts, I can bring up videos of Manning sulking off the field or Brady chasing after refs screaming obscenities or Aaron Rodgers breaking an iPad.* No one is ever, ever criticized in this fashion because to do so is madness.

Second, I don't see how the bolded follows, which is what I'm interested in. You can be annoyed with Newton and showboating- but why do you feel the need to jump all over it, get angry over it? Annoyance is a rational action to some inconvenience or minor injury: anger is a completely irrational defense mechanism (ie I feel anger when people call Newton a "baby").

If you're interested to know, here's my theory: we live in a society where we are learned, from day 1, that there is a consistency to life. It follows this:

--If you do something wrong, you will be punished;
--If you don't do something wrong, you will not be punished.

People get annoyed by Newton's showboating: but what makes them angry is that Newton is doing this wrong thing, and yet is getting off without any punishment.

This destroys the escapist fantasy that is sports. It's an expression of power- Newton is able to do things that no one else can, he can do something wrong and get away with it- in something that is meant for you to identify with. This is why hockey fandom simultaneously wants players with personality, yet players with personality are often criticized for having that personality in the first place. This is why someone like Manning is wildly popular, because of his low key personality and country-boy accent and idiotic commercials anyone with a college degree could have come up with (because, in the words of reiner Wolfcastle, that's the joke).

This is why people are taking glee in Newton getting his just deserts- because they see this as his "punishment", what he has escaped thus far. It is lowering him to their level.

And can you take this and apply a racial element to it? I think so. Newton thinks so, he said so himself, people see him expressing this power and don't know how to deal with it.

Part II

Life advice: if you [not you, PALE PWNR, you in general] find yourself ever hating a player who does not actively try to injure other players (such as Talib, who nearly broke Corey Brown's neck yesterday, but I guess Newton pulling a Belicheck is the much greater evil....btw guess which one is probably going to get fined?), you probably take sports far too seriously.

*= It was actually a Microsoft Surface

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
We have literally murderers and rapists and domestic violence abusers that have donned an NFL jersey and some who still do. But yeah, let's make a big deal because sad Cam didn't answer awful questions..

The quality of questions is irrelevant. He is the teams franchise player/face of the franchise/QB and is expected to conduct himself as such. he needs to be a grown man and deal with it, sure emotions are high after a big loss but he isnt the first or last QB to have that happen to him.

Brady never walked off the podium when asked about Deflategate.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Life advice: if you [not you, PALE PWNR, you in general] find yourself ever hating a player who does not actively try to injure other players (such as Talib, who nearly broke Corey Brown's neck yesterday, but I guess Newton pulling a Belicheck is the much greater evil....btw guess which one is probably going to get fined?), you probably take sports far too seriously.

Not only did he actively try to, he admitted it

“It was all good,” Talib assured. “It was B.S. flags. One was on our sidelines — the guy was talking on our sideline. One I just did on purpose, and I just had to show him. It’s probably going to be a fine, but hey, we’re world champs.”

The quality of questions is irrelevant. He is the teams franchise player/face of the franchise/QB and is expected to conduct himself as such. he needs to be a grown man and deal with it, sure emotions are high after a big loss but he isnt the first or last QB to have that happen to him.

Brady never walked off the podium when asked about Deflategate.

He doesn't need to do as you, Shawked, fan of some team I'm not sure, says. He doesn't need to please me as a fan, or Chris Chase or Skip Bayless or any of these **** stirrers whose only job is to get people to pay attention to them. If his teammates and organization support him (as they do), then I don't really care how he conducts himself in a press conference after losing a tough game where nobody on that side of the ball played well. Does him spitting out canned answers make this night more/less enjoyable for anyone? If you say yes, you're probably watching the sport for the wrong reason.

Could he have handled it better? Absolutely. But it's not a big deal that he didn't. This is the best take on this entire thing.

You will argue that Cam is a professional and needs to act like one. But why must a professional pretend (and we all know these guys are pretending) a humiliating, painful loss is anything but exactly what it is?

Why do we need to see him smiling at a press conference? Why do we need athletes to tweet out canned “We’ll be back! Thanks to the fans!” tweets after losing the Super Bowl? I guess it’s to make us feel better? Is it their job to entertain us, bring us championships and then comfort us after a loss? It seems weird, right? But regardless, this is the expectation.

Cam is emotional. What you call showboating, Cam calls celebrating. What you call sulking, Cam calls reacting. What you call cocky, cam calls confidence. Cam is naturally emotional and he has no interest in hiding his emotion.

But here’s where you’re wrong about Cam Newton. Cam is a lot more like you than you would ever want to admit. Cam is simply a football fan playing football.

You scream at your team, tear off your jersey and threaten a kicker over a missed field goal. Cam dabs when he scores touchdowns, collapses on the sideline when his team loses and is unable to put on a happy face immediately after a devastating loss.

He has highs and lows, just like you. And like all fanatics, his highs are the highest and his lows are the lowest.

Cam is often described as “fake,” as many fans think his celebrating and smile are both fabricated. But let’s think about that for a moment. We expect players who score a touchdown to “act like they have been there before.” We then expect them to “act professionally” when they lose. Instead, Cam dabs and dances when scores — and then sulks when he loses. In this scenario, who is fake?

Based on our expectations of athletes, Cam deserves criticism. But are our expectations of athletes realistic?

It annoys the **** out of me that Manning just won a second Super Bowl in what is likely his final game, and the Broncos had one of the best defenses of all time, and we're sitting here talking about Cam's press conference.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
In fairness Hoodie is far more used to losing to the Broncos, this is only the second time it's happened to Cam.:naughty:

I can guarantee when the Panthers lose to the Broncos on opening day, Newton will be thrice as composed and give twice the amount of time to questions.

Sep 19, 2008
Not a Panthers fan but the anti-Cam ********** is spinning out of control

Again not a Panthers fan but the hate against him is irrational

cam-newton-peyton-manning-handshake-lead.jpg

What a classless doofus!

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about press conferences. We're sitting in here, and Cam's supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about press conferences. I mean, listen, we're talking about, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about press conferences. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that he goes out there and dies for and play every game like it's his last. Not the game, but we're talking about press conferences, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about press conferences. I know Cam's supposed to be there. I know Cam's supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about press conferences man. What are we talking about? Press conferences? We're talking about press conferences, man. We're talking about press conferences. We're talking about press conferences. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about press conferences, man. When you come to the stadium, and you see Cam play, you see Cam play don't you? You've seen Cam give everything he's got, right? But we're talking about press conferences right now. We talking about press conferences. Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about press conferences man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about press conferences.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Love how $CAM is being ripped today.

Truthfully I don't think he will go back anytime soon if ever. His press conference proves he doesn't " get it". Him saying "we'll be back" he should ask Marino about that who is way better than he ever was. He never got back. Favre only went twice. We're talking hall of famers here. Some of the best QBs ever. Then being a ***** and walking out like that.

As for his "acknowledgement" the way he said they made more plays than us seemed sort of insecure like he doesn't believe it that they just got lucky.

Everything people were hating on he gave them so much new material.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
LOL @ the look on Eli's face after the game ended. A NY reporter today on a show I watched tried to give him the benefit of the doubt like he ate something bad and had indigestion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad