Petterssons ceiling

Petterssons ceiling

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Still not sure how anyone can justify not voting 90+ unless they don't understand the word "ceiling".

Look at all the players who hit 90+ this past season. Guys like Huberdeau, Point, Wheeler. There's no way that's not his ceiling. A ceiling doesn't mean he for sure hits it - it just means that's the highest he can realistically hope for in a perfect storm of a season if all goes well while at his best.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, it's probably not a lot higher than it is now. These early years are often proving to be the peak. I mean, look at Crosby. People assumed he'd go on to score 150-200 points a year but his best points haul is still his Sophomore season.

Crosby is a bad example due to all injuries he had - there's a good chance he could have blown past that number in 2011-2013 with no injuries/lockout.

Giroux - his highest point total in his 12th year. 2nd highest in his 5th year
Stamkos - highest point total in his 11th year, 2nd highest is his 4th
Tavares - highest point total in his 10th year, 2nd highest in his 6th year
Kane - Highest point total in his 12th year, 2nd highest in his 9th
Ovechkin - highest point totals in his 3rd and 4th year. I'd argue that like Crosby he's also not your typical point getting superstar though - since after his peak of earning rosses and such, he morphed more into a high goals/low assists player, so overall points take a hit. I think EP is more of a playmaker, so that won't happen.

I think EP has plenty of time to put forth a flagship season.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Still not sure how anyone can justify not voting 90+ unless they don't understand the word "ceiling".

Look at all the players who hit 90+ this past season. Guys like Huberdeau, Point, Wheeler. There's no way that's not his ceiling. A ceiling doesn't mean he for sure hits it - it just means that's the highest he can realistically hope for in a perfect storm of a season if all goes well while at his best.

Pretty much true. We are talking ceiling. Odds are very good he has a season with 90+.

Is that what he will be regularly? Doubtful.

Also, we have no idea how league scoring will trend.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Crosby is a bad example due to all injuries he had - there's a good chance he could have blown past that number in 2011-2013 with no injuries/lockout.

Giroux - his highest point total in his 12th year. 2nd highest in his 5th year
Stamkos - highest point total in his 11th year, 2nd highest is his 4th
Tavares - highest point total in his 10th year, 2nd highest in his 6th year
Kane - Highest point total in his 12th year, 2nd highest in his 9th
Ovechkin - highest point totals in his 3rd and 4th year. I'd argue that like Crosby he's also not your typical point getting superstar though - since after his peak of earning rosses and such, he morphed more into a high goals/low assists player, so overall points take a hit. I think EP is more of a playmaker, so that won't happen.

I think EP has plenty of time to put forth a flagship season.

I can't speak for them all, but Giroux is a different kind of development entirely. He just kept improving for 5 years and then had an injury lull too. It's a pretty rare development to keep improving year on year like he does. The trend seems to be superstars coming in good and then basically staying there, injuries permitting.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pretty much true. We are talking ceiling. Odds are very good he has a season with 90+.

Is that what he will be regularly? Doubtful.

Also, we have no idea how league scoring will trend.

And just to be clear - the bolded would be his peak, not his ceiling. His ceiling is simply what he *might* do, even if he doesn't ever actually do it.

Ie - Crosby's peak production is 120 points - but his ceiling was probably closer to ~130, as he might have hit that in 2011-2013.

Which makes it even more obvious to me that 90+ is the only answer.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
And just to be clear - the bolded would be his peak, not his ceiling. His ceiling is simply what he *might* do, even if he doesn't ever actually do it.

Ie - Crosby's peak production is 120 points - but his ceiling was probably closer to ~130, as he might have hit that in 2011-2013.

Which makes it even more obvious to me that 90+ is the only answer.

Well, sure, but you can also say that a guy that scores 90 points once, his "peak" is not really a 90 point player, it's more of a 70 point one.

what I mean by that, it's not like Johnathan Cheechoo was a 50 goal player. He had a 50 goal season, but we all know why that was. To be considered a 40 goal scorer, I think it's something you have to be capable of repeating.

I can see Pettersson being capable of being in the top 10 or so, of scoring, on a regular basis. He may hit top five 1 or 2 years, but I doubt he's a regular in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad