Pettersson vs Backstrom - now and projected career resume

Who’s better right now and who’ll have had the better career resume when all is said and done?

• Total voters

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Backstrom was better in many ways in my opinion.

I can’t go with EP yet. He needs to show me more. Maybe a change of coach would help.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Your level of hate and bias is not only ridiculous, it's also impressive how consistent it is.

Good for you.

For what it's worth, Pacioretty was 1st this past season in missed shots, Ovechkin second, and Matthews third. Not that missed shots are relevant at all, as it isn't necessarily even a bad thing.

For what it's worth missed SOG does matter when said player is bring little else to the table at this point and drop the hate BS it's well established that Ovechkin was the worst player for loose puck battles in the NHL this season and he was -12 for a division winner this past season the numbers don't lie.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Base on analytics and a deeper dive, Pettersson is comfortably the better player at the moment (or at least last season). His possession metrics indicate that he caves in the opposition when he's on the ice. It's quite close, I'll go with Petey here.

Career-wise, I lean toward Pettersson but Backstrom is one of the more underrated players of the last generation, if the not the most (alongside Giroux). It will be a lot to ask of Pettersson to trump what Backstrom has done but it is quite possible with his skillset.
I can totally agree that Pettersson has the ability to surpass Backstrom, but he's got a long ways to go.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I suppose it’s close now, since Backstrom is beginning to get on in age and Petersson is barely even entering his prime. Petersson can certainly have a career that exceeds Backstrom, but he has a long way to do that. Backstrom has quietly, consistently been excellent and underrated for a very long time. If I were a betting man, Backstrom’s career is better.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hard to tell, since Backstrom had Ovechkin as his linemate from the very beggining. As for Pettersson he had Boeser although he is a good young winger, he is nowhere near Ovechkin who is regarded as the best goal scoring winger of all time almost. That really helped NB19, as far as stats go.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is a year older than him. And he's already better than Matthews.

With all due respect to Pettersson, this is simply untrue. There's no logical argument to be made to support such a claim. Could he surpass Matthews/does he have the talent and ability to possibly do so? Yes. But it hasn't happened yet.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1