Pettersson vs Backstrom - now and projected career resume

Who’s better right now and who’ll have had the better career resume when all is said and done?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pettersson for both.

Now imagine if Pettersson had 21 year old Ovechkin as his teammate starting now for the next 15 years.

I think EP40 will have the better carer but Backstrom might be slightly better right now as he has to carry the Ovechkin anchor around who simply sucks at puck retrieval and misses the net by far more than any other player in the NHL.

On second thought EP might be better right now, very close though.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I think EP40 will have the better carer but Backstrom might be slightly better right now as he has to carry the Ovechkin anchor around who simply sucks at puck retrieval and misses the net by far more than any other player in the NHL.

On second thought EP might be better right now, very close though.
Your level of hate and bias is not only ridiculous, it's also impressive how consistent it is.

Good for you.

For what it's worth, Pacioretty was 1st this past season in missed shots, Ovechkin second, and Matthews third. Not that missed shots are relevant at all, as it isn't necessarily even a bad thing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Pettersson for both.

Now imagine if Pettersson had 21 year old Ovechkin as his teammate starting now for the next 15 years.

lmao, shoulda woulda coulda

Backstrom significantly outperformed Pettersson in his first two NHL years. Plus he can actually play defense and win a faceoff.

Mar 14, 2015
Backstrom right now for both. But wouldn't be shocked to see Pete end up being the better player, he has the tools and hope he stays healthy. But its so hard to predict, Backstrom is so underrated though seriously.

Mar 14, 2015
lmao, shoulda woulda coulda

Backstrom significantly outperformed Pettersson in his first two NHL years. Plus he can actually play defense and win a faceoff.
Pettersson can play defense... but faceoffs is a weakness today.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Base on analytics and a deeper dive, Pettersson is comfortably the better player at the moment (or at least last season). His possession metrics indicate that he caves in the opposition when he's on the ice. It's quite close, I'll go with Petey here.

Career-wise, I lean toward Pettersson but Backstrom is one of the more underrated players of the last generation, if the not the most (alongside Giroux). It will be a lot to ask of Pettersson to trump what Backstrom has done but it is quite possible with his skillset.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pettersson is certainly better now, and should have the better career based on his potential, but thats6never a sure thing.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I'm not sure I follow. How is the difference between 66 points in ones rookie year compared to 69 points for the other considered significant?
The rate at which teams were scoring was different

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
So was the games played in comparison with one another.
what's your point?
Idc about the argument at hand

I simply stated to the person I quoted the rate of scoring was different

Im not interjecting into the whos better between thesetwo

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Idc about the argument at hand

I simply stated to the person I quoted the rate of scoring was different

Im not interjecting into the whos better between thesetwo

Yeah the rate of scoring is better now, and all these other hypotheticals in comparing years and eras is an interesting point when comparing these two

But to the original comment was "significantly better" 66 points to 69 points in each players rookie years is not significantly better. In fact they are very similar

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'd take EP over Backstrom today, but it's hard to say career wise as Backstrom is closing in on 1000 career points. Too much unknown.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Your level of hate and bias is not only ridiculous, it's also impressive how consistent it is.

Good for you.

For what it's worth, Pacioretty was 1st this past season in missed shots, Ovechkin second, and Matthews third. Not that missed shots are relevant at all, as it isn't necessarily even a bad thing.

It's quite sad to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad