Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
I really want to support this player but I think he’s becoming a bit of a head case right before our eyes

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How this team is 1 game away from the WCF with 1 goal from their franchise centre is just weird... What happened to Bubble Pettersson?

The whole team played badly, fine, but he's got to be a difference maker in Game 7. There's no hiding from it anymore.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How this team is 1 game away from the WCF with 1 goal from their franchise centre is just weird... What happened to Bubble Pettersson?

The whole team played badly, fine, but he's got to be a difference maker in Game 7. There's no hiding from it anymore.

a very low bar, but fwiw i thought he was our best forward tonight

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Nobody is saying this isn’t the case although I don’t think that’s not 100% accurate. Surgery is a corrective measure and in many instances players are able to play because there is a low risk of further injury to the injured area affecting the outcome of the surgery.

But that doesn’t address the question of why the team didn’t rest him if he’s injured. Anything to keep Petey fresher for the playoffs.
This is pretty simple to answer.

If the injury is the type that wont get any better with rest.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If he had a hatrick this game you would still loose. Pretty bad game from the first line.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Just watched all his goals this year.

There is something seriously wrong with his shot compared to his previous years. Have to wonder if there is something not fixed about his wrist and he really does need surgery like Matthews. He used to lean into his wristers and slappers and it beats goalies clean.

Reactions: supercanuck

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Jesus, the guy has the muscle structure of a 13 year old. Has he worked out a day since his rookie season?

Has to really work on his skating balance and lower body strength. Should be at least 185-190 pounds at his height.

Last edited:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
He needs to be more like Garland when he skates that guy is tenacious.

When Boudreau was here the message is move your feet, same with Tocchet and when he does it’s great he looks dangerous but at this point he shouldn’t need to be told or reminded this is the playoffs you should know to play with tenacity.

He has to show up in game 7 and I’m not even talking about scoring a goal just show you want it.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He needs to be more like Garland when he skates that guy is tenacious.

When Boudreau was here the message is move your feet, same with Tocchet and when he does it’s great he looks dangerous but at this point he shouldn’t need to be told or reminded this is the playoffs you should know to play with tenacity.

He has to show up in game 7 and I’m not even talking about scoring a goal just show you want it.
What happens if does not become like Garland?

Or if he does not look angry in game 7?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I’ve seen speculation that it’s Pettersson’s wrist, torso and now leg that is injured. I guess we’ve almost covered his entire body.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Jesus, the guy has the muscle structure of a 13 year old. Has he worked out a day since his rookie season?
His shot clocked at 88 -102 miles. You think a guy that doesn’t workout can puts up the same shot as Shea Weber?

I’ve seen speculation that it’s Pettersson’s wrist, torso and now leg that is injured. I guess we’ve almost covered his entire body.
We speculate because we don’t know. If we know we won’t need to speculate. That’s kinda the definition of the word.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
His shot clocked at 88 -102 miles. You think a guy that doesn’t workout can puts up the same shot as Shea Weber?

We speculate because we don’t know. If we know we won’t need to speculate. That’s kinda the definition of the word.
No, I get that. I am just pointing out that various aspects of Pettersson’s game (skating, shot) are getting excused with reference to various different types of injuries (leg, wrist) which I guess presumably have been lingering since like February or whatever for them to explain his slump.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
No, I get that. I am just pointing out that various aspects of Pettersson’s game (skating, shot) are getting excused with reference to various different types of injuries (leg, wrist) which I guess presumably have been lingering since like February or whatever for them to explain his slump.

So this is what his wrist shot look like before. I don't think we've seen him shoot like this so far this season. His shot looks different, he doesn't lean into it anymore and the accuracy and power of it just looks off. I don't think it's about him not having space, a lot of the highlight reels of him scoring this year, he has time and space but he just doesn't lean into it anymore. His shot speed went down from 102 -> 88 miles in the hardest shot. That's why when you hear rumors of him needing off season surgery, it kinda checks out.

844488F8-0327-42BC-A561-806DAD5FC8DC_1_201_a.jpeg

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
honestly i suspect he’s been off all year because he showed up in the fall unnaturally bulked up.

even when he was scoring hand over fist, he was not the same player we saw last year and it looked to me like he didn’t have his step. i hesitate to compare it to that one diastrous sopel year but…

and as he’s lost some of that weight over the year i think he just hasn’t felt right and isn’t trusting his body, hence all the hesitation and double/triple clutching.

to me, the thing we haven’t had in a long long time, since FAQ made the massive layoffs, is a good conditioning team that gives players wise and thorough offseason training regimens.

i think it violates the cba to assign someone to check in on them, but i think this is a carryover of what we saw for the entire benning era: letting guys f*** off in the summer and them coming back having worked on nothing. obviously virtanen was the most glaring example, but remember how every young player who didn’t have ian clark regressed? all to say, i wonder if what worked for boeser last offseason did the opposite for petey.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Imagine if Pettersson was still without a new contract. All the talk would be about how distracted Pettersson is and that’s why he’s playing poorly.

Reactions: Nucker101

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
honestly i suspect he’s been off all year because he showed up in the fall unnaturally bulked up.

even when he was scoring hand over fist, he was not the same player we saw last year and it looked to me like he didn’t have his step. i hesitate to compare it to that one diastrous sopel year but…

and as he’s lost some of that weight over the year i think he just hasn’t felt right and isn’t trusting his body, hence all the hesitation and double/triple clutching.

to me, the thing we haven’t had in a long long time, since FAQ made the massive layoffs, is a good conditioning team that gives players wise and thorough offseason training regimens.

i think it violates the cba to assign someone to check in on them, but i think this is a carryover of what we saw for the entire benning era: letting guys f*** off in the summer and them coming back having worked on nothing. obviously virtanen was the most glaring example, but remember how every young player who didn’t have ian clark regressed? all to say, i wonder if what worked for boeser last offseason did the opposite for petey.
he looks a lot stronger in the 1st half, we saw him with some power wrap around moves and being much harder to push off of and that is mostly from core strength. usually extra bulk is on the upperbody and not with core and the players (like Sopel and Hansen) who over built tends to lose the upperbody weight and not the core.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Kuzmenko went to Bali all summer and barely trained.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
If we needed a time for Petey to step it up with Demko and now Boeser out the time would be now. Time to take this team upon your shoulders and put your critics to rest.
Yep. Time to see what Petey is made of. This could be a huge statement game, or a huge red flag for his value to the franchise moving forward.

Scores 2 goals tonight and helps us win a big Game 7? Back in the game-breaker category.

Held off the score-sheet and not a real threat to score all night? Maybe those expressing doubts regarding his NHL playoff abilities are right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad