Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They aren't getting looks or shots to my eye test and they aren't getting shots or shot attempts by the numbers.

If a stat is saying that Mikheyev is getting tons of quality offensive looks and chances in these playoffs, then yes I will say the data is bad.
His 5v5 individual shot attempt rate is 4th among regular Canucks (excl. Karlsson) in the playoffs.

Mik's 5v5 shot on goal rate is 6th among Canucks, 5th among forwards. So he is missing the net somewhat more frequently than he should be.

Is the pure shot data bad? Is it wrong? Maybe the eye test doesn't track large numbers of events very well.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You're coming at me like I am shitting on your opinion. I have said multiple times that I think it is an injury. The coach can also be the most truthful coach I have ever seen. Those two things are mutually exclusive. Believe whatever the hell you want to believe.

Sorry if you took it that way, I was just pointing out you can't hide a broken jaw, or something that may need a cast vs broken ribs (I don't think Petey has broken ribs)

Reactions: TraderJim

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Hoglander and Mikheyev have a combined 15 SOG in 18 GP in the playoffs playing next to Pettersson. They aren't getting looks or shots and I call BS on any stat saying they are.
also that all 3 of them have no confidence in their game right now, and they are throwing it to each other hot potato with no one deciding to skate WITH the puck a couple strides to more prime shooting area, or its Mik and he makes all the wrong decisions in the right positions. Bottomline they need to be separated. None of them are Boeser that consistently score from range, and the word from the coach/system is to hang on until they have a lane for tips, no even if they happen to be in prime positions you get low SOG numbers.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
His 5v5 individual shot attempt rate is 4th among regular Canucks (excl. Karlsson) in the playoffs.

Mik's 5v5 shot on goal rate is 6th among Canucks, 5th among forwards. So he is missing the net somewhat more frequently than he should be.

Is the pure shot data bad? Is it wrong? Maybe the eye test doesn't track large numbers of events very well.
JFresh just posted this. I've sort of seen the same thing but my recollection is that Mikheyev is getting more chances off of broken plays (and shooting it into the goalie's chest lol). I haven't seen Petey dig for pucks like he used to... and I also haven't seen Hoggy do that at all, despite him looking like Garland at times on board play during the regular season.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

Here’s the issue: context. When Pettersson’s line is on the ice with Hughes, they’ve had a good share of shots, chances, expected goals. They’ve also had an on-ice shooting percentage of 5.9%.

When Hughes isn’t on the ice, the Pettersson line’s shots, chances, expected goals all crater. In fact, the only line that generates offense with Hughes on the bench is the Miller line.

See for yourself.

Reactions: Hodgy

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Not gonna second guess this man, he has everyone on his case. He will be fine. I'm not gonna ship him off just cuz he's slumping, like the case was for boes and Garland. Such is life sometimes. Gonna switch up the boeser jersey and rocking the EP tn, gonna watch for that switch to flip. Excited!

Reactions: Lenny Levino

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Don't worry petey, I know you lurk the forums, you got a friend in me. Keep that chin up, just go surprise an oiler next game first shift and straight hurl your body into them and buckle them. Everything starts with one step 🤭
View attachment 871488
He listened! Also that wasn't a penalty

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Basically just proved that he's been dog fugging all playoffs, and the injury excuse was bs (as if we needed any more evidence)

Far from a great game, but very noticeable difference in effort level. Same thing happened during the lotto line bump earlier in the year. Was coasting all season outside of a stretch of games on the 649. Dude isn't anywhere near good enough to be coasting such huge chunks of any season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Whether he's injured or not doesn't matter because it doesn't even look like he's trying out there. And yeah his line mates have been terrible but he's on PP1 so there's no excuse.

I'm so curious what the Canes trade package was.
It doesnt matter if it looks to you that he is trying.

Basically just proved that he's been dog fugging all playoffs, and the injury excuse was bs (as if we needed any more evidence)

Far from a great game, but very noticeable difference in effort level. Same thing happened during the lotto line bump earlier in the year. Was coasting all season outside of a stretch of games on the 649. Dude isn't anywhere near good enough to be coasting such huge chunks of any season.
I dont think there was that big of a difference.

He took a couple of shots on the PP and had linemate(s) that he could play off of a bit more.

Reactions: mossey3535

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Yup.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Here’s the issue: context. When Pettersson’s line is on the ice with Hughes, they’ve had a good share of shots, chances, expected goals. They’ve also had an on-ice shooting percentage of 5.9%.

When Hughes isn’t on the ice, the Pettersson line’s shots, chances, expected goals all crater. In fact, the only line that generates offense with Hughes on the bench is the Miller line.

See for yourself.
1715925207100.png

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wow? Can't believe how divided EP40 has turned this fanbase.

Do you want your coach to provide a bunch of excuses and exclusivity to certain players by saying "yes he's playing through something" "cant say exactly but Petey's hurting"? Since when has that ever been a thing for coaches to do in the media

What does that say to everyone else who's playing through something or hurting? And of course that narrative is relying on the fact that he's actually hurt.....like for 2 months now without even resting him at the end of the season when he could have?

What ice times is he struggling with? Wasn't Lindholm and Miller out together on a "shortened bench" last game when Bouchard scored?

"not dropping a winger" to stand beside the Norris winner to help him with body contact? Not sure what your even talking about here....insulating Hughes....really? What does that even look like and where does your C go and what about the zone clear stretch pass do you just abandon that altogether so Joshua can protect Hughes......i'm confused by what you're talking about?

We are in the quarter finals coming home 2-2 without a goal from Hughes Hronek No Demko and 1 from Pettersson and you are comparing Tocchet to 1-2-3-4 Willie???

C'mon man this really reaching here and villainizing Tocchet for no reason. Could he stand to make some adjustments sure but will they all work and do we even have the horses to pull it off when 4 of our best players if you include Hronek continue to provide so little.

I'm not sure why posters keep wanting to provide so many excuses for the players. Tocchet was spot on saying players were in pause mode i thought the exact same while i watched and the people who i was with who mostly played fairly high level hockey were saying the same. "We're not getting stuck in" and our "forecheck isn't good enough" Lafferty Mikhayev Suter Pettersson Hronek Karlsson all had too many moments of watching/pausing vs being assertive

i'm not saying Pettersson should be getting ripped either (when he's trying his hardest) playoffs are tough and he was obviously sick and was one of our best in the 3rd.

So many can't even get to this point and there are a few reasons why his stats are getting skewered with his wingers. This is not about Coach vs player...you're letting emotions get the best of you
First of all, before I laid into Tocchet I said "forget Petey".

Dropping 1-2 more guys besides the center is LITERALLY how both Vegas beat the Florida forecheck and how Chicago beat the Bruins trap. I don't know what else to tell you, it's been a valid tactic for more than a decade.

Instead of this nebulous" motivation" shit I prefer him to do do normal coaching things that if you watch other coaches, they are doing. This goes back to AV literally watching the other team employ the right tactics what would have helped out the team and not copying them or getting ideas from them.

Other than that you're speculating like the rest of us. I am not speculating about what Tocchet could be doing instead of what he is actually doing, which is literally not even changing the lines until near the end of the second playoff series.

I just got off a plane and I see they won. Who knows, maybe the new lineup actually sparked something? And that's literally the domain of adequate coaches. We need Tocchet to be one of the best to win the Cup. Like this won't hold up as well against Colorado or Dallas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wave and arttk

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm beginning to think that with Pettersson it's a 'confidence thing'....it just seems to wax and wane. Tonight he looked a lot more like the old Petey.....just going with the flow and letting his natural talent take over.

But then Hoglander and Lindholm are light years ahead of Mikheyev and Lafferty as his wingers. I'd still like to see Podkolzin moved on to that line; and Lindholms returned to center Garland and Joshua. I thought they had kind of a quiet night with Blueger as their center.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If you belive he is Marner of the Canucks,as a leaf i would trade him for Marner. If i could. I dont think i ever heard Marner say the words "I need to be better". And EP would be fantastic to have just for staring down reporters asking stupid questions. (I belive he need to mature in that regard, but in the meantime)

Some say not producing in playoffs is a Swedish or Euro thing.
P forsberg and Zetterberg comes to mind. Zibanejad , this year. And looking at the point standig right now , i belive Germany is in Europe...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If you belive he is Marner of the Canucks,as a leaf i would trade him for Marner. If i could. I dont think i ever heard Marner say the words "I need to be better". And EP would be fantastic to have just for staring down reporters asking stupid questions. (I belive he need to mature in that regard, but in the meantime)

Some say not producing in playoffs is a Swedish or Euro thing.
Who the hell says that...?
P forsberg and Zetterberg comes to mind. Zibanejad , this year. And looking at the point standig right now , i belive Germany is in Europe...

Reactions: lawrence

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You're coming at me like I am shitting on your opinion. I have said multiple times that I think it is an injury. The coach can also be the most truthful coach I have ever seen. Those two things are mutually exclusive. Believe whatever the hell you want to believe.
Tocc is a master poker player and the most truthful coach in the world

It's true. Trust me. I'm an amateur Canucks shit poster and trash fantasy GM.

Reactions: TraderJim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad