Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Pettersson for Barzal and a 2nd.

Trade our first and the second to dump Mikheyevs contract.

You have 4.75m from Mikheyev +2.45m from Barzal.

That's 7.2m extra cap you just made.

Re-sign Lindholm at 7(only takes2.5m) or under, bring back Zadorov at 5(about 1.25 more).

Try to sign a guy like Teravainen in the off season.

Trade Hronek for picks. Use his money on someone cheaper like Sean Durzi.

Run

Miller
Barzal
Lindholm

In playoffs, but in regular season put Lindholm with Barzal and watch him score 40.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Pettersson shouldn't have dressed up for the All star games. Some player must have stolen his talent juice.

Definitely shouldn't have played the last two games of the regular season either.

EP's struggles seems to be mentally, low confidence and poor wingers. He also shouldn't have changed his stick model from last season. His shot sucks right now.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
There's really people who believe that Rick Tocchet would go out of his way to lie about Pettersson being injured with extreme emphasis using the strongest words we've ever heard from him, completely unprompted.

Canucks vs. Oilers: Rick Tocchet insists Elias Pettersson isn't injured.

The team isn’t using illness to cover for another injury to Pettersson, he said.

“We don’t lie here,” he said, with emphasis.

Unprompted
, Tocchet said he’s aware that there’s been speculation about whether Pettersson is carrying some sort of injury, perhaps to his back or his wrist. But he moved to quash that speculation.

“He’s just a little sick,” he said.

Pettersson, for his part, said he’s feeling fine.
And then, Tocchet would publically call Pettersson, a guy who we just signed to an 8-year-contract, a passenger, knowing that he's injured and it isn't his fault.

Pettersson played all 82 games this season.

Brock Boeser, Filip Hronek and JT Miller skipped the final trip of the season to Winnipeg, because we had already locked up #1 in the division, and they wanted to rest some of their bumps and bruises.

Elias Pettersson did not.

He's not injured. Stop with the cope.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Do you know why?

Because thats how you put a bullseye on an already injured player.

Injury info about Petey only helps his opponents and fans who can't accept the reality that is Petey and definitely Hronek.

Thank you Dr. BenningHurtsMySoul for your valuable insight.
The misdirection theory makes no sense though because if Tocchet was lying to protect Pettersson physically he wouldn't go and call him out in the same breath.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s obvious Tocchet is trying to motivate Pettersson to compete harder. This doesn’t seem to be a case of him trying to convince him to play harder through an injury. That’s silly.
The arguments that Pettersson's play is a result of an injury have always been dubious for a myriad of reasons (this is the second similar stretch of bad play and during the first stretch Pettersson and the team consistently denied any injury), this stretch has been going on for a few months but yet he hasn't sat one game while others have, the team and Pettersson have continually denied it and his former coach who coached him through the last stretch has publicly stated that he thinks its a confidence issue, and rather tellingly, didn't reference any injury, etc.).

But Tocchett's very harsh criticism of Pettersson all but confirms he doesn't have any significant issue. A coach like Tochett isn't going to publicly shame his struggling star player if he knows that star player is struggling because of an injury. It just woudln't happen.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Petttersson contract talks with the Canucks were reenergized after word of a possible trade filtered out from Carolina. The names of Necas, Kotkaniemi and Jarvis were floating around.

Nothing was ever confirmed, but knowing Allvin and Rutherford, the possibility of trading Pettersson without a contract extension, was a real possibility.

If the Canes crash out again in their playoff series with the Rangers, maybe the two teams re-visit it. Although Pettersson's new minted contract probably makes that impossible now, without the Canucks taking back a lot of salary.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bad Pettersson, per your definition, still finished 19th in overall scoring. He's been effective with his mind, while you like players that compete. It's a bias.

These things aren't mutually exclusive, which is true, but when one shows predominantly more than the other, you like it or dislike it.

He finished 19th in scoring based on this first half where although his compete wasn't amazing it was an absolute f*** ton better than this.

In his last 50 games he has 36 points. That's a 59 point/82 GP pace which would put him down around 100th in NHL scoring. Non-competing Pettersson is a non-effective Pettersson.

It's not a 'bias' when compete is what actually wins you games in this league in 2024.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Teams are often super-duper crystal clear about players not being injured and then once playoffs end they in fact were. I'm not saying that is the case with Pettersson at all but what the team says doesn't mean much. It's also pretty clear from the presser today that he is sick right now. Does that excuse the last 4 months. Likely not but it might just be reason for recent issues.

Yeah, but he's 'maybe had an injury' since like November. I get protecting your players but people have been speculating on this a long time. It seems a bit weak, IMO.

Reactions: B-rock

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He finished 19th in scoring based on this first half where although his compete wasn't amazing it was an absolute f*** ton better than this.

In his last 50 games he has 36 points. That's a 59 point/82 GP pace which would put him down around 100th in NHL scoring. Non-competing Pettersson is a non-effective Pettersson.

It's not a 'bias' when compete is what actually wins you games in this league in 2024.

You thought his compete "wasn't amazing" while he produced at a 100+ point pace. Is this confirming that he was relying on his mind more than his compete to produce? Yes, and you didn't like that/were not bullish on that version either. It's bias.

I thought what he did in the first half was astonishing, given what he had to work with.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You thought his compete "wasn't amazing" while he produced at a 100+ point pace. Is this confirming that he was relying on his mind more than his compete to produce? Yes, and you didn't like that/were not bullish on that version either. It's bias.

I thought what he did in the first half was astonishing, given what he had to work with.

Thinking that not liking it when talented players don't compete and badly underachieve as a result is a 'bias' is certainly something.

Pettersson had more to give in the first half and was nowhere near his 22-23 levels of all-around play but you'd never hear me saying he was 'bad' or didn't justify his contract. In the last few months, he's been flat-out bad and it's because his compete level is embarrassing. He looks scared to chase a puck if he knows he might get hit.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah, but he's 'maybe had an injury' since like November. I get protecting your players but people have been speculating on this a long time. It seems a bit weak, IMO.
And things aren’t binary. What happened 4 months ago may not be the same reason for what’s happening now. Reasons for last game may not be applicable to last week. Etc.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Thinking that not liking it when talented players don't compete and badly underachieve as a result is a 'bias' is certainly something.

Pettersson had more to give in the first half and was nowhere near his 22-23 levels of all-around play but you'd never hear me saying he was 'bad' or didn't justify his contract. In the last few months, he's been flat-out bad and it's because his compete level is embarrassing. He looks scared to chase a puck if he knows he might get hit.
I think you're really undervaluing the impact of confidence in a team sport.

When you're thinking out there instead of reacting you become almost useless and the longer that continues the less you want the puck since you don't really believe you'll do something good with it.

Petey is a superstar because of his precision, skill, and superlative hockey sense.

When he doesn't trust his reads, he becomes just a guy who isn't the fastest nor the biggest.

He's going to learn how to come out of his slumps more quickly but I would hope that you would learn from your takes on Boeser that stars struggle and it doesn't mean that we need to 86 them or that they don't care or won't improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
And things aren’t binary. What happened 4 months ago may not be the same reason for what’s happening now. Reasons for last game may not be applicable to last week. Etc.

Yeah, but the overall performance/effort has been the constant.

It could be some really bad luck and different things happening one after another, but I'm more inclined to think it's been a singular issue. Whatever it is.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
What did he say?
Less about what he said than his body language and tonality. His confidence and swagger are completely non-existent and he looks clinically depressed.

It reminded me of the Luongo interviews from the 2011 playoffs in that when someone is struggling with confidence or their mental state, the last thing they need is their weaknesses highlighted and to get publicly grilled over their performance over and over. It's going to make them get even more in their head and that is the worst thing possible. In Pettersson's case it doubly sucks because for months now he's being held accountable on the public eye for his lines production as if he doesn't have linemates who literally can't score on an open net or get the puck back to him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There's really people who believe that Rick Tocchet would go out of his way to lie about Pettersson being injured with extreme emphasis using the strongest words we've ever heard from him, completely unprompted.

Canucks vs. Oilers: Rick Tocchet insists Elias Pettersson isn't injured.

And then, Tocchet would publically call Pettersson, a guy who we just signed to an 8-year-contract, a passenger, knowing that he's injured and it isn't his fault.

Pettersson played all 82 games this season.

Brock Boeser, Filip Hronek and JT Miller skipped the final trip of the season to Winnipeg, because we had already locked up #1 in the division, and they wanted to rest some of their bumps and bruises.

Elias Pettersson did not.

He's not injured. Stop with the cope.
i mean there are rumors that his wrist is messed up (check reddit) and he will get surgery right after the end of the season. Of course we won't know until our season ends after us lifting the cup.

Fact is he is playing now and slumping hard and I think people overempahsize on the "he needs to skate harder, compete harder". When he was playing his best he wasn't out skating people or hustling harder than anyone, he was just uber efficient. Right now that is obviously not working and getting him to look like he is "trying harder" is just basically telling him to play a different game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

When you're thinking out there instead of reacting you become almost useless and the longer that continues the less you want the puck since you don't really believe you'll do something good with it.

He's slumping terribly, no question. But any 'he doesn't compete' stuff is just xenophobic Don Cherry nonsense.

Petey is a superstar because of his precision, skill, and superlative hockey sense.

When he doesn't trust his reads, he becomes just a guy who isn't the fastest nor the biggest.

He's going to learn how to come out of his slumps more quickly but I would hope that you would learn from your takes on Boeser that stars struggle and it doesn't mean that we need to 86 them or that they don't care or won't improve.

Confidence and slumps are one thing.

The problem here is that he just isn't moving his feet. Like, on a couple late shifts yesterday he actually hustled toward some 50/50 pucks and won battles and things started happening for him.

The problem isn't that his shot isn't working or he doesn't have the confidence to try audacious dekes, it's that when things aren't going well ... he just looks totally defeated and isn't making the sort of basic hustle plays that NHLers need to do to try and find a way to be effective if they aren't scoring. And then here and there he shows that he actually can do it - there was one game late in the season where he took a marginal hit and then immediately looked like a totally different player for the rest of that one game.

Like, Filip Hronek is playing like shit right now and is a shadow of what he should be (likely through injury) but he's out there actually competing and sticking his nose in and it's a lot easier to forgive poor play when the guy is at least trying to do the right things.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He looks scared to chase a puck if he knows he might get hit.
it's interesting that people want to say he is not injured and wants to believe that he suddenly changed his playing style from the last like 5 years to where he is avoiding getting hit as if he is afraid of getting injured.

so under what condition would cause someone to be cautious about injuries? perhaps somebody who is already injured? or you just believe that all of a sudden he just decided that he's going to change his game

i mean .. before his slump, he was reguarly taking slap shots and that basically went away. are we to believe he also decided one day, no more slapper. there were some folks pouring over footage of last night and looking at Petey's hits. All his hits are him leading with his ass with his arm + hands away from contact. his shot accuracy is gone, his shot speed is basically a night and day difference compared to earlier in the season.

Not sure what is going on, but as a scorer, it looks like that part is shot. As a playmaker, welll there is nobody that is finishing his chances.

Last edited:

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

He's slumping terribly, no question. But any 'he doesn't compete' stuff is just xenophobic Don Cherry nonsense.

You are the only one tying his lack of compete to his nationality. Those aren't MS's words.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
it's interesting that people want to say he is not injured and wants to believe that he suddenly changed his playing style from the last like 5 years to where he is avoiding getting hit as if he is afraid of getting injured.

so under what condition would cause someone to be cautious about injuries? perhaps somebody who is already injured? or you just believe that all of a sudden he just decided that he's going to change his game

He's not injured. I don't know how much clearer it can get or how much clearer the team can be about it,

This was also his playing style for all of 2021, and over the last 4 years he's played like this more than we've actually seen the 'engaged' Pettersson - which is only the 2nd half of the 21-22 season and all of 22-23.

You are the only one tying his lack of compete to his nationality. Those aren't MS's words.

Yeah, that's weird.

I actually just complimented Hronek's compete despite his shit play in my next post.

This is nothing to do with being Swedish. Or not being a 'playoff player'. He competed just fine in the 2020 playoffs. He just isn't now.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He's not injured. I don't know how much clearer it can get or how much clearer the team can be about it,

This was also his playing style for all of 2021, and over the last 4 years he's played like this more than we've actually seen the 'engaged' Pettersson - which is only the 2nd half of the 21-22 season and all of 22-23.
conveniently that the last time he played like crap he was also coming off a wrist injury that sideline him for like half a season and who knows how long in the offseason and yeah he look eerily similar to that player but I guess the biggest diff was back then he was creating nothing at all.
This version is similar in terms of, no handles, no shot but still playing good defensively and setting up chances only for the play to constantly die on Mik and Hog's stick.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad