Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I mean, it's the second extended period in his career he's skating around like a zombie, not moving his feet, not competing, terrible body language, and getting zero results.

The first time at least was when the team stunk so it wasn't making a huge difference one way or the other. But to be playing like this in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs is disgusting. Especially when, as we saw late in the game yesterday, he's perfectly capable of actually competing when he wants to.

And to be clear, I'm not saying he's 'not a playoff player' or anything like that. He's perfectly capable of playing at a level that will work in the NHL playoffs and he did it back in 2020. He's just choosing not to.
Extreme bias.

If you added that this is just massive speculation or that its wild take by you... But no. You are stating this as if its a fact.

Lets plant a flag here and return to this once the season is over.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Extreme bias.

If you added that this is just massive speculation or that its wild take by you... But no. You are stating this as if its a fact.

The team has repeatedly said he's not injured.

Tocchet has called out his poor play.

It's blatantly obvious to anyone watching that he's not competing.

If you're not injured and you aren't competing, there are no excuses.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

That first goal yesterday...he allowed McDavid to skate full stride through the blueline - literally peeling away from the play, and then went for a half assed stick check on Bouchard where he fell down.

Reactions: Nomobo and MS

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
this is not a defense of pettersson -- he needs to play better -- but the coaches can't just keep throwing him out there and hoping he'll figure it out

unless you think the monstars stole pettersson's talent at a post all star game party he's capable of much more and it's up to the coaches to unlock it

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think they could be doing more to potentially break his funk.

No one player is bigger then the team and I don't think he deserves special treatment but seems like the two will go hand in hand. Get Pettersson going, the team will win. (Or be more likely to)

We've seen flashes when he's been put with different players. Let's try to build on it. Let him spend a game away from Mikheyev.

If he's in his head, depressed etc whatever. Maybe playing with better players will help inspire him, help get him going.

Because what's the alternative? We keep on the path we're on, maybe winning, dragging around Pettersson. Or they exhaust all options to hopefully get him going and reevaluate in the off season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think they could be doing more to potentially break his funk.

No one player is bigger then the team and I don't think he deserves special treatment but seems like the two will go hand in hand. Get Pettersson going, the team will win. (Or be more likely to)

We've seen flashes when he's been put with different players. Let's try to build on it. Let him spend a game away from Mikheyev.

If he's in his head, depressed etc whatever. Maybe playing with better players will help inspire him, help get him going.

Because what's the alternative? We keep on the path we're on, maybe winning, dragging around Pettersson. Or they exhaust all options to hopefully get him going and reevaluate in the off season.

They were trying all kinds of stuff during the regular season including giving him Boeser/Hoglander as wingers for a long stretch at the end of the year.

It's been hard in the playoffs with the Lindholm and Miller lines both working well.

The problem is that whenever he gets put with other players he drags them down, too. It's difficult to understate how bad this stretch of play has been.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Confidence is so key to being a great player.

Boeser is competing harder because he was shown confidence by the coach and converted early. This then informed his work ethic and now he's reached a new level. That said, he was still a high end player despite variable competitiveness before. Why? Because his game never relied on a high work rate. It was bettered by it, sure, but he was still a goalscorer without it.

Contrast that with Garland who needs that work rate to be relevant, and people mistakenly get the idea that his high motor must be matched by other players for them to be considered good... And that's just not the case. Different players have different plus traits.

With regards to Pettersson, it's the same issue as with Boeser, but Tocchet is limited in creating the same platform for Pettersson to succeed as he had with Boeser. And so, Pettersson is left to figure it out and hasn't. Clearly, his environment must change. I'd like to see the following next game:

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Lindholm-Pettersson
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
PDG-Aman-Mikheyev

Surprisingly, Pettersson played the most minutes of any centre last game. Tocchet loses that utility, but potentially gains production by the switch.

Reactions: Flik

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Extreme bias.

EP has shown the capacity to be a top 5 C in the league.

Either that was a one-off and he's not capable of hitting that (a la Jim Carey, the "Net Detective" who was a flash in the pan Vezina winner) or he's a talented player who is capable of doing such.

If it's the latter, then you have to ask what the hell is going on with him.

That said, you can't say that his play, virtually all season has been lackluster. I'm kind of surprised that you're disputing that.

He's had moments here and there, but he's being paid to have more than just a few good moments here and there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean, it's the second extended period in his career he's skating around like a zombie, not moving his feet, not competing, terrible body language, and getting zero results.

The first time at least was when the team stunk so it wasn't making a huge difference one way or the other. But to be playing like this in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs is disgusting. Especially when, as we saw late in the game yesterday, he's perfectly capable of actually competing when he wants to.

And to be clear, I'm not saying he's 'not a playoff player' or anything like that. He's perfectly capable of playing at a level that will work in the NHL playoffs and he did it back in 2020. He's just choosing not to.

Ya. I said this before. I would normally give him the benefit of the doubt but he had a similar stretch and suddenly turned it on when Boudreau took over.

He invited his family and friends over from Sweden to watch the Nashville series (not sure if they are still here). I can understand having extra pressure and squeezing the stick but the effort level should be apparent.

Reactions: Hodgy

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

Boeser is competing harder because he was shown confidence by the coach and converted early. This then informed his work ethic and now he's reached a new level. That said, he was still a high end player despite variable competitiveness before. Why? Because his game never relied on a high work rate. It was bettered by it, sure, but he was still a goalscorer without it.

Contrast that with Garland who needs that work rate to be relevant, and people mistakenly get the idea that his high motor must be matched by other players for them to be considered good... And that's just not the case. Different players have different plus traits.

With regards to Pettersson, it's the same issue as with Boeser, but Tocchet is limited in creating the same platform for Pettersson to succeed as he had with Boeser. And so, Pettersson is left to figure it out and hasn't. Clearly, his environment must change. I'd like to see the following next game:

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Mikheyev

Surprisingly, Pettersson played the most minutes of any centre last game. Tocchet loses that utility, but potentially gains production by the switch.

100x yes. Those lines look like a great adjustment to me.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya. I said this before. I would normally give him the benefit of the doubt but he had a similar stretch and suddenly turned it on when Boudreau took over.

He invited his family and friends over from Sweden to watch the Nashville series (not sure if they are still here). I can understand having extra pressure and squeezing the stick but the effort level should be apparent.

I've honestly never seen a player like this before in my life and I literally don't know what to make of it or how to fix it.

Like, I've seen streaky/inconsistent/'feel' players fairly often obviously but never a guy like this who can spend a whole year as a two-way monster and then a whole year as a timid, floating, non-competing nothing.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I've honestly never seen a player like this before in my life and I literally don't know what to make of it or how to fix it.

Like, I've seen streaky/inconsistent/'feel' players fairly often obviously but never a guy like this who can spend a whole year as a two-way monster and then a whole year as a timid, floating, non-competing nothing.
The same can be said of Miller.

I've never seen someone go from a toxic selfish idiot sabotaging the entire season of the team last year, to the key emotional leader and a solid 2 way player the next. At least not at his mature age.

I can admit that the reason I found it so disgusting is because I cannot stand the type of person he was last year.

Can you admit that your bias comes from you hating the Boeser / EP type cerebral "softer" type of people?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
this is not a defense of pettersson -- he needs to play better -- but the coaches can't just keep throwing him out there and hoping he'll figure it out

unless you think the monstars stole pettersson's talent at a post all star game party he's capable of much more and it's up to the coaches to unlock it

Look at how he was playing with Suter and Boeser as opposed to Karlsson and Mikheyev as an example. There was a clear shift toward making plays instead of just checking. When I saw Lafferty and Mikheyev sandwich the same player and they lost the battle and Pettersson had to retreat fast from the slot, I thought 'He must hate this'.

When you give the player the opportunity and the talent and he still doesn't perform, it's on him. If you staple the worst performer to the player in question and expect a turn around, it's on the coach. Give him what he needs and then we'll know for sure.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
PDG-Aman-Mikheyev

But Boeser’s struggles could be explained by injuries plus downturn in health and then passing of his father. Effort was never an issue. He has also notably taken more shots from up close. He is more engaged in his puck battles. He isn’t relying on his formerly elite shot from the perimeter. Great players adjust and reinvent their game and Boeser did that.

I mean Miller hasn’t done much in terms of his signature drives to the net either but he’s generally a guy who tries to do too much when he struggles to get out of a funk. He’s still making plays.

Garland indeed has a high work rate and the reason why we went out and acquired the player. He’s a play driver just like Miller. He’s been providing the type of play we hockey fans celebrate and generally acknowledged as needed to succeed in the playoffs.

What is Petey doing? He keeps saying he wants to be the best and he wants to win. Well he’s now up against the best and the team needs him to continue winning.

Reactions: Hodgy

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Bryan Fogarty, maybe?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I would think if we lose this series and he doesn't have a big final three games, they will look at shopping him. JR wasn't afraid to deal him before the contract was signed. The man is ruthless.

It would be a heartbreaking end to a tenure that has largely seen the greatest home grown forward talent since Bure dominate on both ends of the ice. But much like the core in Toronto, when you play in a big Canadian market, you only have so much runway. Eventually, the pitchforks come out.

If dealing him is in the best interest of the team, and they can get decent value for him, it should be considered. Pettersson strikes me as a player that would thrive in a passive Eastern market that plays more of a run and gun style. No surprise that he and Kuzmenko both played their best hockey under Boudreau.
I would say it took Nate McKinnon several tries before winning the cup and Petey will get the same opportunity.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I would say it took Nate McKinnon several tries before winning the cup and Petey will get the same opportunity.
MacKinnon didn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs, the team around him didn't perform and he took the heat as their best placer and emotional leader. It's entirely different.

He's more comparable to Miller IMO. Pettersson is more like Rantanen.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Do you know why?

Because thats how you put a bullseye on an already injured player.

Injury info about Petey only helps his opponents and fans who can't accept the reality that is Petey and definitely Hronek.

MacKinnon didn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs, the team around him didn't perform and he took the heat as their best placer and emotional leader. It's entirely different.

He's more comparable to Miller IMO. Pettersson is more like Rantanen.
Thank you Dr. BenningHurtsMySoul for your valuable insight.

Reactions: racerjoe

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Just watched the Pettersson interview on the main thread, Pettersson looks like a broken man. Looks dead in the eyes right now. His confidence is at a all-time low.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Wtf are you on about?

He defended Miller last season while he was destroying our season because he looked angry while doing it.
...that doesn't mean he hates 'cerebral' players.

One does not follow the other.

EDIT: And is this what you're talking about re: 'defending' Miller?

Calling him an emotional spaz and a disaster as captain don't sound like ringing endorsements to me!

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Tocchet or the organization are never going to say a guy is injured in the playoffs. While I don't think he is injured we won't actually know until after the playoffs.

There is some to who he is playing with especially when coupled with his own struggles. There have been numerous times he's sent passes to places his linemates SHOULD be but they are nowhere to be seen. That isn't all of it but I don't think one should underestimate how big of a factor it is even for very talented players. I don't think it was a coincidence he looked better in game 3 with Karlsson on his wing as Karlsson was doing the little things properly.

I'd also caution against running a guy out of town of this talent level. Many fanbases have tried to run high-end guys out of town for not performing only to have egg all over their faces at some point.

First goal last night as someone mentioned above. I think that had little to do with Pettersson and everything to do with Cole turning into a timbit player and chasing the puck rather than staying put. Cole's positioning opened up that play.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
either

* tocchet and pettersson are engineering some really wild misdirection
* pettersson is injured but tocchet thinks he's sandbagging and called out his play anyways
* pettersson isn't injured

i'll let y'all decide which of these is most plausible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad