Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Better, but still looks injured... look at that play short handed with the odd man rush. No speed to pull away, and sure a decent shot, but it was all arms... no core or anything to it. Something is stopping him from using his core to push.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
I know he is not a fighter at all but he should of done something to retaliate.

A lot of players he faces will watch that and thrive on that deficiency in his game. He will get bullied until he stands up for himself. That sequence was v embarrassing for the team and fans.

Maybe a in-house cultural anthropologist who studied Scandinavian body language can shed some insight?
- sometimes the smart kids don’t look both ways before crossing the street, seems like EP was just not paying attention and got hit by a clown 🚙 car

And it was hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Better, but still looks injured... look at that play short handed with the odd man rush. No speed to pull away, and sure a decent shot, but it was all arms... no core or anything to it. Something is stopping him from using his core to push.
Yeah, something's physically not right. But he was mentally sharper last night, solid defensively-- including the four-minute PK where he did a yeoman job-- and did good work on the goal sequence, especially the move to evade Lauzon in the corner.

And, he's getting basically no help from his primary wingers.

Reactions: vanuck and racerjoe

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
This thread is going to be hilarious to look back on once Petey sets the franchise record in points by the end of this contract.
It's funny, Canuck fans just don't like to have good things. He's the first meaningful drafted and developed center by the Canucks since Henrik Sedin, which was 25 years ago, and people can't stop crapping all over him. He's 25 years old and he's 11th all time in franchise scoring, it's comical the amount of heat he gets.

He's in a group of current players that's turned things around for the organization, personally I'm glad and thankful he's a Canuck, he'll be a 1000 point player by the end of his current deal, which will look great in about three years with a rising cap.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I hope he’s doubling his soy protein intake this weekend.

Tuesday all eyes are on this all Canadian series. He either flourishes and shows Canada his skill or he embarrasses himself on a national level.

Stakes are extremely high for his reputation.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I hope he’s doubling his soy protein intake this weekend.

Tuesday all eyes are on this all Canadian series. He either flourishes and shows Canada his skill or he embarrasses himself on a national level.

Stakes are extremely high for his reputation.
Nah one MIA series doesn't undo the elite level play in career. Pressure on him will increase astronomically next season when his pay is several million more than JT Miller.

afrocentric

Apr 29, 2010
While I agree that we need Petey to be way better than he showed in the majority of the series against Nashville

I really don't think enough is being made about his play to dodge Lauzon's hit on the GWG in Game 6 against Nashville. That goal doesn't happen without Pettersson foresight to dodge the hit to poke the puck along to Boeser.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I know he is not a fighter at all but he should of done something to retaliate.

A lot of players he faces will watch that and thrive on that deficiency in his game. He will get bullied until he stands up for himself. That sequence was v embarrassing for the team and fans.

Maybe a in-house cultural anthropologist who studied Scandinavian body language can shed some insight?
I mean you got this figured out.

He is a useless selke nominee 90p center. Unless he fights Reaves next season we shouls buy him out.

Lock the thread.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Has he finished higher than 7th in voting for the Selke (22/23 vote? If not, that's quite a bit misleading (no 1st place votes).
Doesn't "nominee" mean top 3 technically?

No idea why people are actually just being dishonest to defend him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
for all his flaws in the past 3 months, his struggles and his declining play I disagree that is he a mitch Marner-level failure. I know he's supposed to step up, our best players are supposed to step up. We've heard this before, but to compare him to marner is outright scape goating used by Leafs fans canucks haters.

for whats its worth, Pettersson heading into this, he has 19 points in 17 playoff games prior to this. He's won 2 playoff series already and we almost made it to the 3rd round. So by this point Elias Pettersson has already won more playoff series than Matthews, Marner, Nylander combined. ON Pettersson first try in the playoffs.

Now if we don't want to try to include that, ok fine. first playoffs in front a crowd. Pettersson struggled. It was painful to watch, so painful overzealous Canuck fans ready to trade him for Cole Sillinger of all people. But let me tell you this. Despite his vanishing act Petterson assisted on the tying goal in game 4, with less than 10 seconds left, quite frankly one of his biggest assists in his career, as we know it. 2 games, later he juked Lauzon. It was overlooked guys. Petterson was lined up for a hit, he dodged it, to make a setp up play that lead to the series-clinching goal against the Preds. He didn't score those goals, no but he set it up. Tell me that's not clutch guys? TELL ME THATS NOT CLUTCH!!!!!

But he needs to play better, my point is, the criticism is valid. I know. Hes struggled since the all star break, but he's no mitch manner.

Petterson give or take has appeareed in 2 playoff runs, and has won a series in both.

Marner has played 8 playoffs and only managed to win 1. So yea, Petey is no Marner.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
agree w @lawrence that we saw more from sophomore pettersson in the bubble that we have from Marner at any point in their playoff careers. And we’re only a year removed from the best iteration of Pettersson that we’d seen.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
agree w @lawrence that we saw more from sophomore pettersson in the bubble that we have from Marner at any point in their playoff careers. And we’re only a year removed from the best iteration of Pettersson that we’d seen.
Yeah I'd say he (EP) deserves at a minimum a "mulligan" (for this season at the very least) based on his body of work as a Canuck.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Not expecting to match Connor McDavid, but he has got to play up to his contract and score a couple of goals. At least he needs to average 1 pt per game, and if each game is high scoring he should be averaging atleast 1.5 pts/game.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Pettersson needs some contact/puck protection training over the summer much like Mackinnon did back in 2017.

Restrict him to a 10ft radius and have the trainer wack and grind him as he tries to fend off the attack. Another training exercise where he has to do laps from one side of the blueline to the other carrying the puck around the boards and behind the net as he’s being wacked and drilled into the boards. He needs to master being able to go blueline to the opposite blueline without falling down while having the puck on a string. Off ice, he needs a lot of core building exercising to improve balance.

Lol

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not expecting to match Connor McDavid, but he has got to play up to his contract and score a couple of goals. At least he needs to average 1 pt per game, and if each game is high scoring he should be averaging atleast 1.5 pts/game.

he has 8 years to do that :)

but yeah, no argument here, he needs to step up. Dhaliwal already said he's not 100% but lets just pray for the best.
Yeah I'd say he (EP) deserves at a minimum a "mulligan" (for this season at the very least) based on his body of work as a Canuck.
the criticism of him has been fair. Absolutely.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Has he finished higher than 7th in voting for the Selke (22/23 vote? If not, that's quite a bit misleading (no 1st place votes).
Well damn.

Even more reasons to buy him out!

What if he for some reason cant at the moment? What do we do then!?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
When it comes to Pettersson being injured, I have been a big proponent of that for most of the season.

It really was the only reasonable explanation I could think of that would explain his massive drop off from last season, or even the first 10 games of this season.

That being said, he played all 82 games.

He didn't miss a single game.

If he was actually injured, why wouldn't the team give him some time off to rehab/recover?

We also saw a resurgence from him during that East coast road trip in January... so did he magically recover, play to his full potential and then get injured again right after?

I'm not against the idea that he could be injured, and it would be a welcome explanation... I'm just not as sold as it as I once was.

Everyone is banged up this time of year and I doubt he is the exception, but I'm not as sure that is the reason for his drop off as I once was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad