Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He still had 102 and 89 point seasons back to back. How much leverage do you think they would have?

Ok 11m instead of 11.6m, do you feel better now?
He missed a wide open net that would have made the game 1-1. Feel better now ?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Outstanding player but he is so mentally fragile. He needs a sports psychologist. I am just praying that he finds his game again before the season runs out.
This is probably the part that surprised me the most. When Petey entered the league, he looks and acts like a super confident kid that has the most (and well-deserved) trust in his ability. I guess leading the Swedish league in points as a teenager and winning the SHL championship helps, and having a hot start to his NHL career also doesn't hurt, but he has that swagger to him back then that makes him feel like a superstar the second he steps on the ice.

After a 100+ points season and a blistering hot first-half to the 2023-24 season, it seems so odd that all that swagger is gone. He seems like he has zero confidence all the sudden. It is like the alien from Space Jam just stole his mojo and now he knows he can't do anything. So hard to explain.

As for the "bad line mates" argument, I don't buy it. He was playing at an elite level last year with a rookie Kuzmenko and a partially-torn ACL Mikheyev, and he started the season with a "bad Kuzmenko" and various bottom 6ers still scoring over 100 pts pace, clearly he is not one to be held back by line mates. I don't even think he is all that good on the lotto line recently (at least not the last month or so). Something is very wrong here.

Reactions: Jay26

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Should have signed him after the season. We could have leveraged his late season struggles. Hope management feels stupid about this one.
No.

Outstanding player but he is so mentally fragile. He needs a sports psychologist. I am just praying that he finds his game again before the season runs out.
Every player in the NHL should employ a sports psychologist.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
No.

Every player in the NHL should employ a sports psychologist.
if you have the money, a nutritionist, a trainer, a sports psychologist is going to help you a ton. a better linemate can drag you out of your slump when you are slumping. Even generational talents slump. more likely is that he has a nagging injury and it is spiraling along with increased intensity with a raucious crowd affecting his play. lets re-evaluate his play after the series.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

jesus christ... . how about give him a skilled player to play with first ? he's had absolute trash and when he found chemistry with someone, they traded him. when Hoglander (who i love, and who is great) is by far your best, consistent winger, you have to understand that could be to blame here.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
We don't have to rebuild but we should think about moving on from him. He's like a German car: Runs great for periods of time but come with to much maintenance and issues.

He's proven he can do it for periods of time. At his salary consistency matters.

this ass backwards logic is godawful

maybe, just maybe we'll end up with a young swedish center capable of putting up as many pts as Pettersson! wtf are you expecting to get back "moving on from him" ? benning type thought process

he's 25 years old, having to carry the offensive load, and barely touched the playoffs. let him continue to develop

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006

maybe, just maybe we'll end up with a young swedish center capable of putting up as many pts as Pettersson! wtf are you expecting to get back "moving on from him" ? benning type thought process

he's 25 years old, having to carry the offensive load, and barely touched the playoffs. let him continue to develop
Quinn hughes and jt miller are carrying the offensive load

This bum is playing like tanner glass

Reactions: B-rock

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Ok. So he should have said I dont care about winning, I dont care where I play or where the team is headed I just want some moneys!

And boom. No longer responsible for anything.

You are making it sound like he forces the team to become a winner against their will?

Just don't say anything at all? I, personally, didn't have an issue with what he said. But it's going to come back on you when you make comments like that and then don't perform well yourself.

No? I'm saying don't say you want to play for a winning team and drag out contract negotiations then play poorly yourself. At least not unless you want to be criticised. I don't see why that's such a bad thing? I'm not saying Pettersson is god awful and should be jettisoned out in the off season. I'm saying he's played bad. And it's made worse by the contract he just signed that he signed.

When Anthony Duclair has more points than you from the All-Star break onward, and is making 8M less. I think we can call out Petey here.

Reactions: Jay26 and B-rock

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The most amazing/depressing thing about this thread is..

Petterson when he is on his game is the best player on the team. It's obvious to all that he is not at his best and potentially at his worst right now. It's sad how many fans would rather just shit on him rather than provide support.
This is probably the part that surprised me the most. When Petey entered the league, he looks and acts like a super confident kid that has the most (and well-deserved) trust in his ability. I guess leading the Swedish league in points as a teenager and winning the SHL championship helps, and having a hot start to his NHL career also doesn't hurt, but he has that swagger to him back then that makes him feel like a superstar the second he steps on the ice.

After a 100+ points season and a blistering hot first-half to the 2023-24 season, it seems so odd that all that swagger is gone. He seems like he has zero confidence all the sudden. It is like the alien from Space Jam just stole his mojo and now he knows he can't do anything. So hard to explain.

As for the "bad line mates" argument, I don't buy it. He was playing at an elite level last year with a rookie Kuzmenko and a partially-torn ACL Mikheyev, and he started the season with a "bad Kuzmenko" and various bottom 6ers still scoring over 100 pts pace, clearly he is not one to be held back by line mates. I don't even think he is all that good on the lotto line recently (at least not the last month or so). Something is very wrong here.
I feel like it’s hard to relate but getting a big contract comes with expectations. Maybe he tried to do more after getting the contract and sometimes when you do more than things get worse and then you enter a negative feedback cycle.
Now should he have taken less, who the f*** would say no to generational wealth.

Reactions: supercanuck

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019

What are his regular season points for doing you in this current series?

Is your goal to have a player who can put up 90 points during the season and not show up when it matters ?

Certainly not what I would or do expect from my highest paid employees.

How many years do you think Miller can put up 100 points?

How many Norris calibre years can Hughes put up?

Windows in sports are very short. It’s a business..You don’t have years to baby sit a head case player who can’t play to his ceiling when it matters. We have 2-4 years with this core.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
jesus christ... . how about give him a skilled player to play with first ? he's had absolute trash and when he found chemistry with someone, they traded him. when Hoglander (who i love, and who is great) is by far your best, consistent winger, you have to understand that could be to blame here.

I agree with you, and that's why I want Tochett to put together the lotto line again in the playoffs. Not only to get Pettersson rolling again, but Boeser and Miller too. Play all the lines who had success and chemistry together this season. I think Tochett has been a bit of a bone head when making some of his decisions regarding the starting lineup in this year's playoffs. Get the lotto line back together and the "no name" line of Joshua, Blueger, and Garland. They all played their best together. Briefly used Mikheyev Lindholm and Lafferty line played fantastic aswell.
Now freaking "DO IT" Tochett!!!

We all know how amazing Pettersson can play. Easily the most offensively gifted player in the lineup, but it's time to show up in this year's playoffs. Sadly now with his salary team/fans will be counting on it. Being the highest paid player on the roster and a extremely underwhelming playoffs performance will bring criticism deserved or not.
I am just hoping he figures things out. Without Pettersson being a presence and Demko injured longterm the Canucks will probably be done in 7 if he doesn't get his shit together.
I'm rooting for him.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I'm not a Pettersson hater but you take the big bag and the expectations change - I think his criticisms are fair for the most part. We shouldn't be talking about a 2 month lul for our highest paid player. And this game of 'when will Petey turn the corner' is quite frankly getting old and not something that we should have to talk about anymore.

All the white knighting about protecting Pettersson and assuming he will get out of this funk is just an opinion. The fear on the other side of the coin is that this pattern of cold play continues through his career. In which case its not a great contract.

Reactions: Jay26 and lawrence

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I agree with you, and that's why I want Tochett to put together the lotto line again in the playoffs. Not only to get Pettersson rolling again, but Boeser and Miller too. Play all the lines who had success and chemistry together this season. I think Tochett has been a bit of a bone head when making some of his decisions regarding the starting lineup in this year's playoffs. Get the lotto line back together and the "no name" line of Joshua, Blueger, and Garland. They all played their best together. Briefly used Mikheyev Lindholm and Lafferty line played fantastic aswell.
Now freaking "DO IT" Tochett!!!

We all know how amazing Pettersson can play. Easily the most offensively gifted player in the lineup, but it's time to show up in this year's playoffs. Sadly now with his salary team/fans will be counting on it. Being the highest paid player on the roster and a extremely underwhelming playoffs performance will bring criticism deserved or not.
I am just hoping he figures things out. Without Pettersson being a presence and Demko injured longterm the Canucks will probably be done in 7 if he doesn't get his shit together.
I'm rooting for him.
I don't think it's about Tocchet being stubborn, but because it's more logical to spread out the centers so you (technically) create mismatches for the opposition and spread out ice time with the resulting depth. Lotto line means something like this for the rest of the lineup:

Lotto
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Hog-Blueger-Mik
PDG/Podz-Suter-Lafferty

So you clearly lose one line as a threat and you'll end up having to shorten the bench. And there's no guarantee Petey will get out of his funk so he could just drag the other two down with him.

Of course they could all get their old mojo back, but what I'm saying is that there's a good amount of risk involved and it's not a light decision to reunite them through the remaining games.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The most amazing/depressing thing about this thread is..

Petterson when he is on his game is the best player on the team. It's obvious to all that he is not at his best and potentially at his worst right now. It's sad how many fans would rather just shit on him rather than provide support.
I feel like it’s hard to relate but getting a big contract comes with expectations. Maybe he tried to do more after getting the contract and sometimes when you do more than things get worse and then you enter a negative feedback cycle.
Now should he have taken less, who the f*** would say no to generational wealth.
Seeing how often a prized UFA signing a big contract and immediately produce worse than before, it does make sense the raise increased pressures and thus making them play worse. But again, that comes with the money, you demand X dollars, you have to produce Y amount. It is no different than normal jobs in any other industries for the regular Joe. I can't imagine Jack from IT demanding and getting a 50%+ raise from his employer, then proceed to produce 50% less than before, and the employer would be ok with that. Jack would've been fired already.

I kind of feel like if this is JTM after signing his 7 x $8m contract, there would be A LOT MORE criticism. I feel like Petey has gotten off fairly easy in this market. Heck, people were hating on JTM even when he was producing, Petey should consider himself lucky, tbh.

Reactions: sting101 and B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm not a Pettersson hater but you take the big bag and the expectations change - I think his criticisms are fair for the most part. We shouldn't be talking about a 2 month lul for our highest paid player. And this game of 'when will Petey turn the corner' is quite frankly getting old and not something that we should have to talk about anymore.
Ok.

You are on that side. What kind of a trade are you looking for to move him?
All the white knighting about protecting Pettersson and assuming he will get out of this funk is just an opinion. The fear on the other side of the coin is that this pattern of cold play continues through his career. In which case its not a great contract.
Cool.

So lets trade him? Who or what you looking to get back in a trade?

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Man, it would be brutal if Pettersson scored 90 points a season for the duration of his contract.

I think its more of a consistency issue. he can score 80 points in 60 games, than only manage to get 10 more points the last 20 games, so there's a consistency issue here. I see what you're getting at, but the criticism are legit at this point. Best players gotta be your best players, and I think Pettersson is taking more heat than like Boeser and Miller, at least those 2 continued to produce steadily over the last 20 games. Pettersson on the other hand actually struggled even before his signing.

but he is still young, lets try to find him a winger next year, and get his game going again.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Maybe Matheson gave Petey brain damage and it never really went away.

It's all in his head. Remember earlier in the season he missed two empty betters basically from the opposing blue line? Lol then he got so tilted. That is all mental.

Reactions: arttk and David71

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Cool.

So lets trade him? Who or what you looking to get back in a trade?

You don't have to be upset. I want Pettersson to succeed and I never suggested we trade him.

Simply saying his criticisms aren't wrong and there's a possibility this Jekyll and Hyde player continues that trend throughout his career.

People are getting overly emotional on both sides. I would say I'm in the middle - this is obviously not the best of Pettersson but you'd be lying to not admit this isn't the first time we've seen him do this.

Reactions: Nomobo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You don't have to be upset. I want Pettersson to succeed and I never suggested we trade him.

Simply saying his criticisms aren't wrong and there's a possibility this Jekyll and Hyde player continues that trend throughout his career.

People are getting overly emotional on both sides. I would say I'm in the middle - this is obviously not the best of Pettersson but you'd be lying to not admit this isn't the first time we've seen him do
You also dont need to be upset.

There is a difference between being critical of his play and the type of arm chair psychology garbage we seem to get here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad