Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Because only an idiot would think there is only one reason do do something especially when it comes to committing to something for a long period and nearly 100 million dollars.
I mean I was debating replying for multiple reasons and this is something that will just take me a few minutes....

There can be more than one reason, sure. But your position (specifically) was that winning was the primary threshold. Meaning, Pettersson was waiting to see this, and then he would act. He did, and chose to maintain radio silence (inaction).

Ultimately, I do think you're on the right track by moving toward money as the primary motivation because he did say he "always wanted to be here" and wanted to "play his cards close to his chest". This suggests that money was the threshold (Dhaliwal even remarks that management wanted him to repeat his performance first), but he didn't even maximize that because his position was deleveraged by management. Therefore, max dollars could have been the plan that was curtailed before he wanted it to be. (Unlike Horvat who ultimately got max dollars by being traded out)

That wasn't the issue... my point is it should get weighted less AS AN INSIDER.

My reference is most of the time Insiders are wrong don't know what is really happening... or at least can't report it.

I think you lack the information to suggest they're wrong most of the time. Or that they are wrong more than management/player/agent obfuscate the truth.

I do find it interesting though that when I made that thesis post (@geebster) to explain just how dead wrong Hodgy has been here, listing out all the information we have, the best response has been to dismiss the info gatherers arbitrarily, rather than finding a throughline in that information itself. (I hope people are making note of this)

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Last post on this... Money and being on a winning team were probably both his primary reasons... I am positive there was others.... this conversations in mind numbingly dumb.

Two primary reasons... lol. Anyway, it can't be 'and' for you and some select posters here, sorry. It does not align with the fearmongering narrative that was pushed here re: Pettersson. He was always going to sign. The delay was negotiation. It's as simple as that.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
@Bleach Clean , Pettersson was going to get paid. I agree he cared about maximizing his contract, but after his 100 point season at the age of 24 years old he was definitely going to get paid. He could have got paid this summer, or he could have waited and got paid next summer. He could have even waited to free agency to sign his long term deal. He's a confident guy and I don't think he was worried about his performance declining. And in fact, if getting paid was his primary concern, then he would have waited until free agency or forced a trade. He would have likely found a team that would have given him a bigger contract, and failing that, he also could have signed in a state with no income tax and taken home much more than he will in Vancouver.

So the idea that "getting paid" was the impetus for signing when he did makes no sense.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
@Bleach Clean , Pettersson was going to get paid. I agree he cared about maximizing his contract, but after his 100 point season at the age of 24 years old he was definitely going to get paid. He could have got paid this summer, or he could have waited and got paid next summer. He could have even waited to free agency to sign his long term deal. He's a confident guy and I don't think he was worried about his performance declining. And in fact, if getting paid was his primary concern, then he would have waited until free agency or forced a trade. He would have likely found a team that would have given him a bigger contract, and failing that, he also could have signed in a state with no income tax and taken home much more than he will in Vancouver.

So the idea that "getting paid" was the impetus for signing when he did makes no sense.

The fear of trade was the impetus for him to sign when he did. Getting paid was his motivation to carry this into the season.

Dhaliwal said management took a 'show us' position first. Pettersson showed them he could repeat, and then they had to chase him.

Aside: He's dropped from a 100 point pace now (projected PPG is 96).

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dhaliwal said management took a 'show us' position first. Pettersson showed them he could repeat, and then they had to chase him.

So after all your posts about how you think Petey was unreasonable for wanting to wait until the end of the season to talk contract, here you are suggesting that management took a "show us" position first and that Petey showed them?

What you consider unreasonable seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So after all your posts about how you think Petey was unreasonable for wanting to wait until the end of the season to talk contract, here you are suggesting that management took a "show us" position first and that Petey showed them?

What you consider unreasonable seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Are you conveniently forgetting the part where Pettersson went radio silent for 60+ games when the team made 2 offers to him?

They had to trade for an insurance C that's not even playing with Pettersson because of his obstinance.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you conveniently forgetting the part where Pettersson went radio silent for 60+ games when the team made 2 offers to him?

They had to trade for an insurance C that's not even playing with Pettersson because of his obstinance.
Strawman.

If management took a "show us" position first and that Petey showed them, why is it unreasonable for Petey to want to wait until after the season when he would presumably showed even more?

Since you’ve been back it’s like you are incapable of considering reason.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This thread has to be the dual HFCanucks record for both the longest ever weird circular argument where obviously nobody is going to change their position so why bother, and also the longest time ever staying on topic.

I keep coming back in hoping that somehow this has trainwrecked and people are going to be yelling at each other about Tony Tanti or something, but no, somehow this has to be the one discussion that manages to stay on topic like it's f***ing laser guided or something.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
This thread has to be the dual HFCanucks record for both the longest ever weird circular argument where obviously nobody is going to change their position so why bother, and also the longest time ever staying on topic.

I keep coming back in hoping that somehow this has trainwrecked and people are going to be yelling at each other about Tony Tanti or something, but no, somehow this has to be the one discussion that manages to stay on topic like it's f***ing laser guided or something.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Impressive isn't it?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
That's probably the biggest hit Caulfield will make in his career.

As an aside, I really wish Pettersson would stop making hits. His hits don't do anything, and he's just risking injury. For clarity, I want him to continue to forecheck hard.
Cmon, wtf is this. Pettersson is 24th among forwards for blocks and has 108 hits.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Love Petey man. You can see some Datsukian magic starting to be unleashed since the contract stuff has been taken care of. The plays he's made the last couple games can be breathtaking and I'm glad he seems to be enjoying himself again.

About the hitting...he seems to be a bit off from last year. I think the way he's falling and hitting this year, seems he is nursing an injury. He's hitting in a way like he's trying not to re-injure or make something worse. Just speculation ofcourse on my part

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Love Petey man. You can see some Datsukian magic starting to be unleashed since the contract stuff has been taken care of. The plays he's made the last couple games can be breathtaking and I'm glad he seems to be enjoying himself again.

About the hitting...he seems to be a bit off from last year. I think the way he's falling and hitting this year, seems he is nursing an injury. He's hitting in a way like he's trying not to re-injure or make something worse. Just speculation ofcourse on my part
It moreso looks like a little guy trying to hit that isnt good at it but enjoys it but kinda doesnt know how to do it either

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
How does that square with Friedman's reporting at all? Take this seriously. Selection bias, look it up

As of my last update in January 2022, I don't have information on specific recent events or transactions. However, re-signing players typically involves contract negotiations between the player's agent and the team management. Factors such as the player's performance, market value, salary cap space, and team's long-term plans all play a role in the negotiation process. You may want to check the latest news sources or the official Vancouver Canucks website for updates on Elias Pettersson's contract status.

• Haha
Reactions: Flik

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
As of my last update in January 2022, I don't have information on specific recent events or transactions. However, re-signing players typically involves contract negotiations between the player's agent and the team management. Factors such as the player's performance, market value, salary cap space, and team's long-term plans all play a role in the negotiation process. You may want to check the latest news sources or the official Vancouver Canucks website for updates on Elias Pettersson's contract status.
ChatGPT did u dirty there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad