Petro...

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
After watching this kid play alot (I'm from the St. Louis area), I feel this kid has been absolutely dominating the offensive side, and has been very solid defensively. His numbers aren't spectacular, but I feel that he's developing into more of a mental player, much like Lidstrom. If this kid puts it all together, I feel he could be recognized as the best of the big 3. Doughty is a great player, but also makes some really stupid moves offensively. I think in about...ehh...3-4 years, we'll be talking about why Petro wasn't chosen 2 or 3 instead of Doughty or Bogosian. Don't confuse this as homer talk, because I also feel that Petro has made EJ look bad sometimes. Give me your thoughts, and don't act if Doughty is a god please, because gods don't lose to the Blues TWO GAMES in a row. The Blues are NOT a great team right now, and it shows.

Bob Sacamanu

Nov 11, 2008
I agree. I think he has the highest potential of any defenseman from that draft. I like the Lidstrom comparison. (Lidstrom-lite, but you know)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think in about...ehh...3-4 years, we'll be talking about why Petro wasn't chosen 2 or 3 instead of Doughty or Bogosian.

That was a not uncommon sentiment heading into the draft. Most felt Pietrangelo needed a few more years of development, but could be the best D when it was all said and done. That said, what Doughty's accomplished thus far has been amazing despite a relatively tough 2010-11 for his lofty standards.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I think Doughty's a good young player, but people around well...everywhere think he's the next Orr. A huge factor IMHO, is that Doughty also has Kopitar, Brown, Johnson, Stoll, and Smyth...That is ALOT better supporting cast than what Petro has.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
You may be right, but Doughty's just having an off-year, so people are down on him at the moment. Both have immense potential, and I wouldn't worry about which one ends up better when it's all said and down.

darthvader

Jul 24, 2009
Watching them both play each other in the latest two Blues-Kings games, it seems like Pietrangelo has better hockey sense and is a smarter player. Doughty has more offensive flair and makes the more risky plays to try to generate offense, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We'll just have to see how they both develop as they get older. I've been extremely impressed with Petro's play this season, though.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
oh god I love PieT but kill the Lidstrom comparisons.

Sorry, but he is the smartest defender in the NHL. I never compared him to him, just saying he will probably end up playing a similar game, most likely on a much lower level.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I don't know if Petro will ever be as good a goal scorer as Lidstrom is, but he has had an excellent year for the Blues and has been their best defenseman this season. It's funny because Mike Babcock raves about Petro whenever they play the Red Wings. When the Blues add some more offense to their lineup when Perron and McDonald return and as they add in more skill with prospects like Tarasenko and Schwartz on the way, I think you will see his point totals go up. He currently has 22 points and the Blues are the 3rd lowest scoring team in the Western Coference. I don't know if he will ever surpass Doughty, because Doughty is such a dynamic skater, similar to Duncan Keith. The Blues still have him on his entry level contract for 2 more years. If he continues to improve they are going to have to shell out the big bucks on his 2nd contract.

itscameron

Jul 11, 2010
St. Catharines, ON
I've watched every games of his as an Ice Dog, and he's one of my favourite young players who I'm sure will have a great NHL career. But please, he isn't anywhere close to the next Lidstrom. He'll be a solid first pairing guy one day, but even mentioning Lidstrom's name in this thread is getting way too carried away.

Bob Sacamanu

Nov 11, 2008
I've watched every games of his as an Ice Dog, and he's one of my favourite young players who I'm sure will have a great NHL career. But please, he isn't anywhere close to the next Lidstrom. He'll be a solid first pairing guy one day, but even mentioning Lidstrom's name in this thread is getting way too carried away.

We (or at least I) were talking about him playing like Lidstrom style-wise. Lots of players play the game similarly, but with different talent levels. Nobody is saying he's the next Lidstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad