Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe he’s referring to the OHL?

I’d rather lose the Memorial Cup as a league champion than win the Memorial Cup with a back door entry.
I’d rather just win the memorial cup so I could say to all the naysayers, as usual the cream rises to the top and the best team won

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Caden Taylor has been touted as being the next Brennan Othmann. He is a big part of the Petes future. If Donovan McCoy comes back for his overage season I hope he is named the Wolves’ captain. I truly believe if he had been their captain this year he may have been able to help mend the reported toxic issues in the dressing room. It is hard to do that as a newcomer and I with no official leadership role.
Not sure who is that high on Taylor, but have no doubt they were high when touting Taylor as the next Othman.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I’d rather just win the memorial cup so I could say to all the naysayers, as usual the cream rises to the top and the best team won
Winning the Memorial Cup is not the true indication of who the best team is. A team could go 12-0 in the playoffs and 3-0 in the round robin portion of the tournament going directly to the final and lose the one game final and thus lose out on winning the Memorial Cup. The Memorial Cup will not be the ultimate gauge of success until they change the one game final to a best of three series. I do not consider teams that win the Memorial Cup but did not win their league championship as true champions.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillardJFredricks

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Winning the Memorial Cup is not the true indication of who the best team is. A team could go 12-0 in the playoffs and 3-0 in the round robin portion of the tournament going directly to the final and lose the one game final and thus lose out on winning the Memorial Cup. The Memorial Cup will not be the ultimate gauge of success until they change the one game final to a best of three series. I do not consider teams that did not win their league championship as true champions.
Is there a team that went 12-0 then 3-0 only to choke in the final? That would hurt, forever.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Is there a team that went 12-0 then 3-0 only to choke in the final? That would hurt, forever.
It happened to the Windsor Spitfires in 1988. They went 12-0 in the playoffs as they had a buy in the second round (I made a mistake in my post. A team needs to win 16 games to win an OHL championship not 12). They won every game in the round robin portion of the tournament but lost the final to Medicine Hat.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It happened to the Windsor Spitfires in 1988. They went 12-0 in the playoffs as they had a buy in the second round (I made a mistake in my post. A team needs to win 16 games to win an OHL championship not 12). They won every game in the round robin portion of the tournament but lost the final to Medicine Hat.
With that happening, it must be a bit sweeter for the spits winning a ‘back door’ memorial cup championship in ‘17.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Tell all the naysayers that they didn’t have the team to win 16 playoffs games but could run the table in a round robin tournament? A team that doesn’t win a playoff round but wins the Memorial cup is not “the best team”. LOL

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Tell all the naysayers that they didn’t have the team to win 16 playoffs games but could run the table in a round robin tournament? A team that doesn’t win a playoff round but wins the Memorial cup is not “the best team”. LOL
Yet the champions will have their name etched on a treasured historic trophy because they are the team that won the final game LOL

99% of those trashing memorial cup championship teams are bitter fans of losing teams or just can’t restrain their petty jealousy.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I guess also people who care about the CHL as an entity more than the league their team plays all their games in but I find it hard to believe such a person really exists.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Yet the champions will have their name etched on a treasured historic trophy because they are the team that won the final game LOL

99% of those trashing memorial cup championship teams are bitter fans of losing teams or just can’t restrain their petty jealousy.
I don’t think you can call the fans of the Peterborough Petes “bitter fans of losing teams”. The Petes have won ten OHL Championships in their history including their most recent last year. They have won the most in the modern era. The predominate feeling in Peterborough the last eleven months was the joy in the fact they won the OHL not the disappointment of not winning the Memorial Cup.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It always is a dumb discussion because winning the final game is what matters most.
Winning a league championship is great. Winning a Memorial cup is great.
I had this conversation ad naseum last year (long before the Petes won the OHL). The Memorial Cup is a TV tournament of Champions. If the Leafs won the NHL this year then lost a game to the KHL winners, it wouldn't diminish their Stanley Cup victory, that was the win against their league mates, as is the J. Ross Robertson Cup.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Pretty rich having a Sudbury fan calling other fans bitter LOL.

I suppose you’re arguing this because your owner said he’s going after the Memorial Cup with the new arena since they can’t get their on their own.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty rich having a Sudbury fan calling other fans bitter LOL.

I suppose you’re arguing this because your owner said he’s going after the Memorial Cup with the new arena since they can’t get their on their own.
Every year that there has been an OHL playoff, an OHL team has won the title. Being the OHL champion is an impressive feat, but just one of three CHL champions.
The last OHL team good enough to win the Memorial cup widely considered the most difficult trophy in hockey to attain was the 2017 Spitfires.
Say whatever you want, the ‘17 spits will forever be considered CHL champions.

Last edited:

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Every year that there has been an OHL playoff, an OHL team has won the title. Being the OHL champion is an impressive feat, but just one of three CHL champions.
The last OHL team good enough to win the Memorial cup widely considered the most difficult trophy in hockey to attain was the 2017 Spitfires.
Say whatever you want, the ‘17 spits will forever be considered CHL champions.
If you can’t win a playoff series you can’t be considered real champions.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If you can’t win a playoff series you can’t be considered real champions.
Petes fans can continue to disparage the Memorial Cup if it helps them sleep knowing they've only won once in nine attempts. But the Petes only winning once in nine attempts shows just how difficult it is to win the tournament. Kind of defeating all your arguments.

Reactions: Buttsy and dirty12

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Petes fans can continue to disparage the Memorial Cup if it helps them sleep knowing they've only won once in nine attempts. But the Petes only winning once in nine attempts shows just how difficult it is to win the tournament. Kind of defeating all your arguments.
I sleep perfectly fine at night knowing the the Pete’s earned their to the memorial cup 10 times and won it fair and square.

Nobody is disparaging teams that win their league and win the tournament but a team that can’t win a playoff round but wins the tournament is not a true champion. Anyone with a brain cell should understand that.

It’s no shock that the fans arguing the other way are fan from Sudbury who has never won anything ever and Soo fans who only won a back door Memorial cup.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I sleep perfectly fine at night knowing the the Pete’s earned their to the memorial cup 10 times and won it fair and square.

Nobody is disparaging teams that win their league and win the tournament but a team that can’t win a playoff round but wins the tournament is not a true champion. Anyone with a brain cell should understand that.

It’s no shock that the fans arguing the other way are fan from Sudbury who has never won anything ever and Soo fans who only won a back door Memorial cup.
Sudbury fans know what a dumpster fire our organization is. In fact they have the same number of memorial cup banners in the rafters thanks to the Cub Wolves 1932 memorial cup banner.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Pretty sure that back door memorial cup included winning a super series 4-0 vs the Petes, the Petes winning the OHL final 4-1 vs the Hounds, and the hounds besting the Petes in the tournament.
At the end of it all, the hounds were memorial cup winners and CHL champions

Reactions: djscooter

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Soo fans who only won a back door Memorial cup.
I never won anything.

The Soo however did win 3 OHL championships to go along with their back door Memorial Cup. So we are 1 for 4 at the Memorial Cup. Maybe one day we will be lucky enough to match the Pete's level of futility at the tournament?

Reactions: Buttsy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Going back to the 2017 memorial cup, the spits dominated going 3-0 with 14 goals for and 5 against in the preliminary round; then beat the OHL champ again in the final.
Hard to say the Spitfires were not the best team in the CHL.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I never won anything.

The Soo however did win 3 OHL championships to go along with their back door Memorial Cup. So we are 1 for 4 at the Memorial Cup. Maybe one day we will be lucky enough to match the Pete's level of futility at the tournament?
Where do you think you’re getting with this? Good for the soo greyhounds! Nobody here cares, troll. You haven’t won anything in 30 years. Come to the memorial center if you want to know what new banner look like. I’m sure you’re just salty because your team just flaked out early like usual.

Pretty sure that back door memorial cup included winning a super series 4-0 vs the Petes, the Petes winning the OHL final 4-1 vs the Hounds, and the hounds besting the Petes in the tournament.
At the end of it all, the hounds were memorial cup winners and CHL champions
Pretty sure they still didn’t win their way to the memorial cup because they couldn’t win the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad