Denmark: Peter Regin - Future considerations

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So guys,

Where do you think Regin will end up come season start? Where would you like him to end up?

I wont lie, I once thought Regin would become the best Danish NHL'er of them all, he had some kind of magic when carrying the puck up middle ice. All those injuries seem to have ruined it.

I don't watch Ottawa enough to know if he truly has been given the chance after coming back from injury. I know he has played a bit, but mostly on 3rd and 4th lines, which he imo is not suited for.

Do you guys still see potential in him?

Ok so here goes, I think he will end up in the AHL or at some other bottom feeder team in the NHL. I think some could see a project in him.

Preferably I would love to see him in Europe. KHL,SEL, SM or NLA if I could choose, but I doubt Peter is ready to give up on NA.

So guys, let me hear what you think, where is he going to end up, how do you project his career will go from now?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He'll probably end up in the KHL, NLA or SEL. I think we've seen the end of his NHL career for now. You never know though, he could turn into a player like Thoresen, Joakim Lindstrom or OKT and be sought after by NHL teams again one day.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I actually hope he comes back to Europe - both for the NT and for get his career back on track.
Playing 4'th line in NHL or in the AHL wont do anything for his career. He has to come back to a place where he can shine offensively and then maybe in the future he can return to NHL.
If not, he has the playing style to do well on big ice.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He'll probably end up in the KHL, NLA or SEL. I think we've seen the end of his NHL career for now. You never know though, he could turn into a player like Thoresen, Joakim Lindstrom or OKT and be sought after by NHL teams again one day.

That's exactly what I was thinking.. Go to Europe, do well and gain interest:)

I actually hope he comes back to Europe - both for the NT and for get his career back on track.
Playing 4'th line in NHL or in the AHL wont do anything for his career. He has to come back to a place where he can shine offensively and then maybe in the future he can return to NHL.
If not, he has the playing style to do well on big ice.

I agree, I would like to se him spark his career back on track in Europe.

And it would suit him to go back on big ice.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I think Europe is the only thing for him to do now.

I watched a few games with him this season, he started out pretty good and got 2nd line minutes with Alfie and played decent without shining, but soon he got replaced to 4th line.

He have had his chance this season with an Ottawa team with more injuries than ever seen before. If he cant get a place on the team in that situation, he is done.

Now is not the time for him to be stubborn. He needs to revive his career in a hurry and the only way to do that is to go back to SEL or KHL. I dont see NLA as an option.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Some team in the NHL looking for a stop gap in the top 9 could take a fly on him. He stayed healthy for most of this season and looked okay most of the time. Low risk/high reward-kinda move. Phoenix comes to mind. But...

Even I gotta admit that a ticket back home to Europe would be most likely be ideal. I think Sweden would be his first priority. I think his leverage in contract negotiations might be better with most SEL clubs and that might weigh in. And if he's going back to Europe why not try to get as close to the family/old friends as possible?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Some team in the NHL looking for a stop gap in the top 9 could take a fly on him. He stayed healthy for most of this season and looked okay most of the time. Low risk/high reward-kinda move. Phoenix comes to mind. But...

Even I gotta admit that a ticket back home to Europe would be most likely be ideal. I think Sweden would be his first priority. I think his leverage in contract negotiations might be better with most SEL clubs and that might weigh in. And if he's going back to Europe why not try to get as close to the family/old friends as possible?

and it could mean that Denmark could keep up the tradition of having a player in SEL. If not in NHL he should go to Europe. Playing in the AHL would be a total waste and huge risk of getting further injuries.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Ottawa Sun:
Murray says he has made decisions on Regin, Lundin and Latendresse. "I will tell them first," says Murray

I for one can't think of any reason he'd say something like this if he was gonna re-sign them, so I guess it's as good as confirmed that Regin will NOT be with Ottawa next year. Oh the shock.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ottawa Sun:

I for one can't think of any reason he'd say something like this if he was gonna re-sign them, so I guess it's as good as confirmed that Regin will NOT be with Ottawa next year. Oh the shock.

So, now begins the interesting puzzle of where he will end up..

Europe FTW :hyper::pcheer:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Ottawa Sun:

Agree. It will be interesting if he can get a contract elsewhere or he goes to Europe. Hopefully he will avoid AHL.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
As suspected Regin not ready to give up on NHL.
And also as suspected his confidence is very low.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/05/27/peter-regin-drops-in-value

They must have forgot to update the picture, where it states that he signed for 2 more years with Ottawa...
Then the article itself say: "Now, Regin's days as a Senator are surely over, as he becomes a free agent in July"

But it certainly looks like he will try finding another NHL club.
So good look to him.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Hmm... Well no harm in testing the waters at free agent day I guess. Trying to make a profile of a team that could use him:

- A team with not a lot of money, and therefore more willing to take a low risk/high reward kinda move.
- A team with some holes in their top 9. I don't think anybody is fooling them self into thinking he's a very useful energy player.
- A team with a defensive system or in other way in a position where he can beat other candidates with his sound defensive play.
- A team either with young guys coming up or some other kind of back-up plan(Tanking/Other like Regin signed) if his shoulder acts up at the first day at camp.

Any other things that could intrigue a team to take him?

Obviously it could also be a combination of more than one of the above mentioned. Still thinking Phoenix, to a lesser extend Nashville. Perhaps Tampa Bay? Just throwing things out there. Defensive teams willing to try new things, though with small'ish budgets.

Sorry to say I don't think anybody will bite. But obviously I hope for him that someone does :)

EDIT: Adding New Jersey as a possibility. They have 2 top 9-forwards on contract for next year. Looks like Clarkson will leave. Some of Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Steve Sullivan and Elias gotta throw in the towel to. That could open some gaps. Not a lot of opportunities out there. Just grasping at straws I know ;)

Teams with UFA's to replace without obvious replacements: Columbus(Prospal), Minnesota(Bouchard/Cullen + pressed against the cap), Vancouver(If the Luongo-thing isn't resolved they'll need to do something to add forwards that don't cost much)...

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Hmm... Well no harm in testing the waters at free agent day I guess. Trying to make a profile of a team that could use him:

- A team with not a lot of money, and therefore more willing to take a low risk/high reward kinda move.
- A team with some holes in their top 9. I don't think anybody is fooling them self into thinking he's a very useful energy player.
- A team with a defensive system or in other way in a position where he can beat other candidates with his sound defensive play.
- A team either with young guys coming up or some other kind of back-up plan(Tanking/Other like Regin signed) if his shoulder acts up at the first day at camp.

Any other things that could intrigue a team to take him?

Obviously it could also be a combination of more than one of the above mentioned. Still thinking Phoenix, to a lesser extend Nashville. Perhaps Tampa Bay? Just throwing things out there. Defensive teams willing to try new things, though with small'ish budgets.

Sorry to say I don't think anybody will bite. But obviously I hope for him that someone does :)

EDIT: Adding New Jersey as a possibility. They have 2 top 9-forwards on contract for next year. Looks like Clarkson will leave. Some of Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Steve Sullivan and Elias gotta throw in the towel to. That could open some gaps. Not a lot of opportunities out there. Just grasping at straws I know ;)

Teams with UFA's to replace without obvious replacements: Columbus(Prospal), Minnesota(Bouchard/Cullen + pressed against the cap), Vancouver(If the Luongo-thing isn't resolved they'll need to do something to add forwards that don't cost much)...

Interesting analysis. So there could be some takers if Regin has some luck, but it does like kind of bleak. Maybe a successful NHL-Dane could convince their team that we are trustworthy defensive forwards enough for a fairly cheap 1-year contract gamble?
But do any of these NHL-teams ever listen to the players?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Interesting analysis. So there could be some takers if Regin has some luck, but it does like kind of bleak. Maybe a successful NHL-Dane could convince their team that we are trustworthy defensive forwards enough for a fairly cheap 1-year contract gamble?
But do any of these NHL-teams ever listen to the players?

Just the look of it from my chair.

Dunno. Can't imagine the clubs use the players for much more than references on a player they're interested in. And even there I can't think of where guys like Boedker and Jannik Hansen would have a lot of things to say about Peter Regin. It's not like they've played THAT much together. I could see why it'd be more interesting the other way around... joining a club with a Dane on. But it's not like Peter Regin has a lot of leverage in any contract negotiations. So... kinda mute point I guess :D

Btw... found this quote from Murray on twitter:

"Decisions still need to be made. How hard/far do we kick him? What kind of boot do we use?"

It's properly not true but if it is, it's a very weird thing to say :laugh: A contract is kinda of a black/white thing(How far do we kick him). And the boot-metaphor: Wut?

Landeskog

Jul 16, 2009
Burlington,On,CA
Detroit could take look at him.

But then again any team looking for cheap top 9 player will take a look at him. Likely on a 1 or 2 year deal. His NHL career will always have chance of happening until all the GMs have stopped thinking he is a nhler.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Detroit could take look at him.

But then again any team looking for cheap top 9 player will take a look at him. Likely on a 1 or 2 year deal. His NHL career will always have chance of happening until all the GMs have stopped thinking he is a nhler.

Yeah that would be a best case scenario for him if he really wants to stay in NHL, but it's a real danger of him being stationed in AHL?!
So we have to see if the case how he will respond to that. Begin again in AHL or find a club in Europe.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah that would be a best case scenario for him if he really wants to stay in NHL, but it's a real danger of him being stationed in AHL?!
So we have to see if the case how he will respond to that. Begin again in AHL or find a club in Europe.

Well he could say to him self, it's a one way or Europe! That's what id' do.

It will most definitely limit him, but id consider the top leagues in Europe before AHL if I were him..

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Garth Snow likes to add players who need a new lease on life, albeit most are AHL bubble players.

Still, Frans Nielsen and Peter Regin are pretty good pals...

pearcey

Jun 14, 2013
Kind of wish Regin would stay with Ottawa and go down to the AHL for a year. He could play with Stone and Hoffman and be the first center to be called up if someone was injured. I still think he has great potential he just needs to have a good off season and get healthy. Even if he revitalized his career in Ottawa I see no chance for him because of how many great centers they have but either way I hope he stays in the NHL but a 1 year stint in the AHL would be more beneficial than a year in the KHL or SEL. He could prove what he is worth and any injures and he could be right back in the NHL with a chance to prove himself. Going to the SEL or KHL won't help his value because playing on the big ice is very different and success doesn't always translate. Either way whatever he does staying healthy is the only thing he needs to do to revive his career the skill set is still there.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
There appears to be something with him that didn't produce confidence in any of the Senators coaches during his time with the team so it appears he either has to be a late bloomer or he will still make a living back in Europe/KHL

I think it would be interesting for him to go to a contender and see if he can flourish in an uptempo, high performance team. I'd be interested in seeing him with LA, Detroit, Boston, Chicago, or Pittsburgh.

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
There appears to be something with him that didn't produce confidence in any of the Senators coaches during his time with the team so it appears he either has to be a late bloomer or he will still make a living back in Europe/KHL

Wasn't he considered one of, if not the, best player(s) for the Sens in the playoffs a couple years ago?(granted small sample size)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Whatever it is with Regin, something is wrong...

When can we expect to hear anything about his situation? Id imagine his agent is working to get him some kind of clarification as indications from Ottawa seem to be he has no place with them.

AHL might be ok, im just scared his frame and body wont be able to handle the physicality . I find the AHL to be a bit more brutish, and Regins problem is just that. He can't handle the physicality, or rather his frame cant. That's also why he failed to produce or convince people this year, as he was mostly stuck on the bottom 2 lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad