Peter Holland

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I wonder if someone who has seen Peter play can give a scouting report. I heard some reports that he compares to Jeff Carter. Will he fall to No. 19 where the rangers pick. Is he the type of player that can also play wing. How is his skating, shot, hands

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I also would like to hear more about Holland and also how he would compare to Kassian, Ashton and Kreider.

spynes

Mar 4, 2008
it shows you how deep this draft is when Holland seems to be dropping a bit.

i have him panning out as Malone/Eric Staal, so more power forward then Carter...but hes young and fast right now so i can understand why people see Carter in him.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He is so smooth with the puck and on the ice that he reminds me of Jason Spezza. This fluidity can be mistaken for laziness by some.

whitesox_2000_22*

not quite the ofensive potential of a carter i dont think guys, being a Wings fan i see him as a more offensive type of Filppula, he is very defensively responsible playing in a great system in Guelph, at worst he becomes a very solid 3rd line responsible center Michael Handzus Type..

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I doubt he ever becomes as good as Eric Staal or Jeff Carter. It's tough to find a player to compare him to. Maybe Jason Arnott.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I personally think Holland ends up in Columbus. He's a Hitchcock type of player. In terms of comparison, think a smaller version of Keith Primeau with better skating ability.

arsmaster*

common, Eric Staal

if you want a comparison I think Malhotra would be fair
Common? Or "Come On"? I think is upside is quite a bit higher than Malholtra's, but its tough when you throw out Eric Staal and Ryan Getzlaf as comparisons. It seems he would be more like Jordan Staal, a solid 2nd line centre, or a great 3rd line centre.
He is so smooth with the puck and on the ice that he reminds me of Jason Spezza. This fluidity can be mistaken for laziness by some.
Doesnt have the hands of Jason Spezza. Spezza is one of the most talented players in the league, it doesnt always show due to lack of effort, foot speed etc. I dont think Holland's top end reaches quite as high as Spezza's.
Yeah, I doubt he ever becomes as good as Eric Staal or Jeff Carter. It's tough to find a player to compare him to. Maybe Jason Arnott.
Jason Arnott is a very solid comparison IMO (the later version anyways). A very responsible player in all 3 zones, a big strong guy who is a load to contain going to the net, if only he did it a little more. I like Holland a lot, but I would like him to be more assertive in the offensive end, and play with more of an edge.

Personally, I think teams picking in the 13-20 range that pass up on Holland, will be kicking themselves for years, I expect next season to be a dominant one for Holland, and Guelph looks like they should have a pretty good team. He might have a similar breakout to Cody Hodgson potentially, Im not sure he is that good, but I have a gut feeling he breaks out in a big way.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
He's got a lot of talent,size and skating- which made me a believer and thought that this guy was severly underrated by the scouting agencies early in the year.

As the year wore on, he seemed to be inconsistent in his intensity. He plays too much on the perimeter when he could get to the gritty areas more. Since he's not a "playmaker" but more of a scorer I see that as a problem when translating his game to the NHL.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
He's got a lot of talent,size and skating- which made me a believer and thought that this guy was severly underrated by the scouting agencies early in the year.

As the year wore on, he seemed to be inconsistent in his intensity. He plays too much on the perimeter when he could get to the gritty areas more. Since he's not a "playmaker" but more of a scorer I see that as a problem when translating his game to the NHL.

At the 19th pick, Id take my chances. He is only 18 years old and has another two years of development left in the best development league.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
If you saw the goal that Jordan Staal scored last nite, shielding the puck with a big body and smooth skating, that is the kind of goal that Peter Holland will score.

Small players just cant score that goal.

Rangers, go get Holland

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
At the 19th pick, Id take my chances. He is only 18 years old and has another two years of development left in the best development league.
Good spot to take him no doubt. I think he'll be in that 18-23 range myself. I wouldn't take him <15 where some reports have/had him ranked.

I've grown to like Ethan Werek and Louis Leblanc more though and would take them over Holland at this point.

arsmaster*

Holland I have at 19, so the Rangers could very well get their hands on him.

I do however think Leblanc has jumped ahead of him, but I dont see Werek ahead of him.

Werek to me is a solid 2nd rounder, to take him before Holland would be a mistake.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Werek to me is a solid 2nd rounder, to take him before Holland would be a mistake.

Could be. In fact most have Holland ahead of Werek. I just think Werek has a similar game to Holland but plays with more urgency and plays a more physical game while having a similar/better scoring touch. Werek goes into the scoring areas and has a good sense of where to be. Looking at the numbers, surprisingly, Werek had 33 goals to Holland's 28 in his first year in the OHL.

Lack of intensity always scares me when looking at prospects (I felt the same about Pietrangelo last year) and I'll take the prospect with maybe a little less finesse but more grit (Schenn last year)over the guy with the lack of intensity. My thinking is that the player with more intensity will have a better chance to compete in the pros than the guy who doesn't bring it as consistently.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
I hope to God the Blues take him. I doubt it though if he didn't do well in the interviews, as Jarmo usually goes after the top interviewees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad