Peter Holland

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
I managed to take in the Guelph vs. Kitchener game this monday and came away impressed with this kid. Good size, good skating, not afraid to mix it up and showed some decent creativity.
Any thoughts as to what his upside is and where he might go in this draft?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This draft is so good that I don't think he'll go in the first round, but he'll be a good 2nd rounder for some team probably mid-2nd round IMO, though it's still early. That's my opinion as things stand right now though. As far as potential, idk, maybe a 2nd line center or a great 3rd line center. Like you said though, I love his hustle and intensity.

Bob Backlund

Sep 11, 2008
He has been flying under the radar, without the hype of others in his year. He was a stud in AAA, who imo, got screwed by D. Barr last season. Way to much pandering to overagers on the Storm (which has been continued by Brooks this season). I would put him on par with someone like Casey Cizikas (minus CC's off-ice...um...problem).

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Way to much pandering to overagers on the Storm (which has been continued by Brooks this season). ).

This is something that really confused me in that game. His line (he was centering Taylor Beck and Cody Mcnaughton) was easily the best line, but they were getting hosed in terms of ice time.
From what I've seen, I think he defineatly has more upside than his stats suggest. I wouldn't be surprised if his upside is similar to that of Mike Fischer or Brandon Dubinsky.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm hoping to see Guelph in Brampton on Nov 2. Should be a great game to see, Holland, Duchene, Hodgson, McCollum, and Brandon Foote.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
I see Holland in a similar situation to what Hodgson was in last year in that he's playing in a defensive system which is keeping his numbers lower.

Like Hodgson he can do it all: be the playmaker or release an accurate heavy shot. Positionally he seems to be in the right spot more often that not. Owns a pro-size frame and really can protect the puck well along the boards well- sometimes playing like a man against boys out there. If he works on his skating a bit and can take the bull by the horns a bit more I think he could shoot up in the rankings landing in the top 15.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Time to re-visit Holland now at season's end and he has indeed moved up inside the top 15. However Mckeens has used terms like "takes shifts off" ,"lacks hockey sense", reminds them of "Taylor Pyatt" and "better on the wing" when describing Holland.

There seems to be something missing with him but I just can't put my finger on it. To me he has the skills to be better and "take the bull by the horns" but in too many games that I've seen him play he just doesn't make that tangible impact. He's at nearly a point per game so he's certainly putting up the numbers.

Eager to see how he plays in the playoffs where he'll either bear down with more urgency or play more of a supporting role on the periphery as he's been doing.

Curious to see what others who have seen him play think.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Oct 13, 2008
St. Albert
I like the comparison to Hodgson, however I get the feeling he doesn't have that next gear to go to like Hodgson does.

Just a hunch, but I got a feeling he will drop to 23-28 in the 1st.

arsmaster*

Watched a couple Storm games this year (on tv) wasnt overly impressed, though he looked good. He definately has PRO size, and like Hodgson skating is not his strong suit.

But the Hodgson comparison ends there for me...Holland has nowhere near the offensive talent nor the hockey sense to be compared with Hodgson. He does however possess a good shot, often ends up in good areas on the ice, can play along the boards etc.

I see Peter Holland's peak as a 2nd line centre, or like someone else said...a do it all star 3rd line centre with some PP time.

JeffYear92*

hes a quite leader on the storm

i was also at the guelph/kitchener game on tuesday and i went to guelph/owen sound on sunday

hes strong on the puck
great wrist shot
hes a big kid

ill predict he will be a better nhl'er than ohl'er

AgentNaslund*

According to the recent TSN mock draft, hes considered a very "intelligent" player.

This draft is so good that I don't think he'll go in the first round, but he'll be a good 2nd rounder for some team probably mid-2nd round IMO, though it's still early. That's my opinion as things stand right now though. As far as potential, idk, maybe a 2nd line center or a great 3rd line center. Like you said though, I love his hustle and intensity.

09 is not stronger then 08. Also Holland is probably going to be drafted in the 1st round.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
While Holland may not be a speedster, to me he's a better skater than Hodgson was going into the draft.
Assets:
  • Pro sized frame
  • Blistering shot
  • Great Hockey IQ
  • Good puck protection
  • Good Leadership qualities
  • Doesn't shy away from the physical aspect of the game
While he isn't flat out dominating every time he's on the ice, he certainly does create a fair number of chances. I don't think he's a top 10 pick, but I think he's a very comparable prospect to where Hodgson was last year.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I was Hot on Holland initally but it seems than he has lost some attracation. Im surprise Mckeens talks about "better in the wing". Others talks about a good 2nd center or 3rd. Ishh!!! Is it enough to stay in the TOP 20-25? Humm!!!

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I see him as a riser in the draft... he's got a great package of skills that could make him a very good NHL player.

He'll definately go in the first round... I could see alot of teams being very high on him.

arsmaster*

According to the recent TSN mock draft, hes considered a very "intelligent" player.

09 is not stronger then 08. Also Holland is probably going to be drafted in the 1st round.
While the top end talent may not be as high in 2009, I believe the depth of the 1st 2 rounds of 2009 is surperior to 2008.
While Holland may not be a speedster, to me he's a better skater than Hodgson was going into the draft.
Assets:
  • Pro sized frame
  • Blistering shot
  • Great Hockey IQ
  • Good puck protection
  • Good Leadership qualities
  • Doesn't shy away from the physical aspect of the game
While he isn't flat out dominating every time he's on the ice, he certainly does create a fair number of chances. I don't think he's a top 10 pick, but I think he's a very comparable prospect to where Hodgson was last year.
I disagree, he doesnt have the same offensive abilities, or the abilities to make his line mates better.

Holland averaged just under a point a game, 67 in 68 games, and has 29 goals.
Hodgson last season had 40 goals, and 85 points in 68 games.

Holland does play for a defensive team in Guelph, but their different players and Holland's max potential is less than Cody Hodgson's.

Holland is a top 20 pick, and the team that gets him should be happy...he will be a solid NHLer for many years.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
While the top end talent may not be as high in 2009, I believe the depth of the 1st 2 rounds of 2009 is surperior to 2008.

I disagree, he doesnt have the same offensive abilities, or the abilities to make his line mates better.

Holland averaged just under a point a game, 67 in 68 games, and has 29 goals.
Hodgson last season had 40 goals, and 85 points in 68 games.

Holland does play for a defensive team in Guelph, but their different players and Holland's max potential is less than Cody Hodgson's.

Holland is a top 20 pick, and the team that gets him should be happy...he will be a solid NHLer for many years.

When you consider Holland's stats, consider that Anthony Nigro had 18 in 25 with Guelph before having 52 in 42 with Ottawa after being traded.

The bottom line with Holland is that this guy is going to be a Top 6 forward in the NHL one day. While I doubt he'll play on the top line, this guy should be a player that is a very good second line center. He's going to be a great pick for whoever nabs him, and if he falls out of the Top 15, he's definitely going to be a steal.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I hope Holland fall's far enough for Ken Holland to draft him, but I doubt we would be so fortunate.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
When you consider Holland's stats, consider that Anthony Nigro had 18 in 25 with Guelph before having 52 in 42 with Ottawa after being traded.

The bottom line with Holland is that this guy is going to be a Top 6 forward in the NHL one day. While I doubt he'll play on the top line, this guy should be a player that is a very good second line center. He's going to be a great pick for whoever nabs him, and if he falls out of the Top 15, he's definitely going to be a steal.

I'm up in the air about Holland. The times I've seen him this year he seems to lack intensity. I wonder if he's going to stay too much to the perimeter? There was a time I thought he could end up being a big steal, but now I'm questioning that assessment. I still expect him to be a top 20 pick, but it wouldn't shock me to see him slide a little.

Maybe he's got a lot to prove in the playoffs? I think so.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I'm up in the air about Holland. The times I've seen him this year he seems to lack intensity. I wonder if he's going to stay too much to the perimeter? There was a time I thought he could end up being a big steal, but now I'm questioning that assessment. I still expect him to be a top 20 pick, but it wouldn't shock me to see him slide a little.

Maybe he's got a lot to prove in the playoffs? I think so.

I would think a vast majority of the draft eligible players have something to prove in the playoffs, so yeah it's really no different with Holland.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Thanks for the responses.

Holland's got all the physical attributes to be a better player than what he's showing: strong skater, pro size, good puck protection. To me he just hasn't put it all together to where I thought he could take his game.

Hodgson's much better positionally and even goes into the dirty areas in order to score than Holland does. Holland will camp out on the periphery and wait for the puck to squirt out to him for a chance. Plays too high in the slot and spends too much time along the wall (maybe that's why McKeens has him as a winger).

At this point, Holland is more one-dimensional. I thought he could be a first liner earlier in the season however as you all have stated, 2nd or 3rd liner in the NHL sounds about right.

He's now moved up to 11 on ISS...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

LOL, dude I posted that like 5 months ago. Obviously, now I think he's going to go in the 1st round, most likely top 20. Anyone who doesn't live in a cave knows that.

And like someone else has already said, I think the top 60 in this year's draft is deeper than last year's. Therefore, it's better. Where 2008 has the edge on 2009 is the depth from rounds 3-7, but it's not enough to compensate for the better overall quality and depth in the first 2 rounds of 2009.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I am curious if anyone can give me a quick scouting report on him? Like his strengths and weaknesses. Plus his projected role in the NHL.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

arsmaster*

there is already a thread about this, flip through the pages!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad