Peter Holland a flop?

Hocks95*

Is Peter Holland a flop? Former 1st round pick by the Anaheim ducks. Now part of the Maple Leafs organization. He is 23 years old and still hasn't become a full time nhl player. Is he a flop? Or do you think this will be his breakout year? I know he is pretty good defensively but does he have enough offensive upside to make the nhl?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He doesn't have the offensive upside to make it as a top 6 imho. But he has enough other things going for him that he should be able to carve out a career as a bottom 6 though. I'm pretty underwhelmed overall to be honest. I'd project him as 4th line c at this point.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He's never really been given much of an opportunity to be fair (at least not on the Leafs)

He did still put up 10p in 39gp while only playing 11 minutes a game and getting 0 PP time. And in that 11 minutes, he really didn't have much to work with line-mate wise

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At 23, I'd put him in a similar category as a Mikhail Grabovski or Tyler Bozak when they started with the Leafs. They're unproven skilled guys who could be top six forwards and make a decent contribution to a probably not very good team lacking talent. Not sure if he catches on in Toronto since we have an incumbent Bozak and Kadri ahead of him, but I could see him becoming one of those useful forwards on 7-12th place teams.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
He was given ample opportunities in Anaheim and never seemed to really take advantage.

That said, Holland is clearly very skilled and I would not be surprised if he figured it out in Toronto. :)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Nice shot, nice skater. Generated a lot of chances this preseason, but couldn't finish any of them, which seems to be a trend with him. Would like to see him in a sheltered 3rd line role this year.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
He was given ample opportunities in Anaheim and never seemed to really take advantage.

That said, Holland is clearly very skilled and I would not be surprised if he figured it out in Toronto. :)

He will never get a chance to figure it out in Toronto, can see him getting traded this year, Carlyle doesn't really give anyone chances, or enough of one atleast

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It's a season too early to make this thread. If he sucks this year, then yeah probably. But we can't tell for certain right now.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
He had all the opportunities in Anaheim to step up.

At the being of last season the #2C and #4C spots were open for grabs and it was between Holland, Bonino and Perrault. Holland lost the competition and was shipped out because he would stop being waiver exempt next season and there was Rakell who could be called up and do a better job at #3C or #4C.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Solid player. I think the upside is there but needs to be more consistent. We'll see how he progresses this year as he'll likely be in the NHL full time from now.

Hocks95*

I'm pretty sure he's our #3 center going into the season...

aware lel. I think he can play a bottom six role right now with potential to push for a top 6 on a team that lacks centres. I just wanted to see what others observed of him. Time will tell.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'd like to see him on the wing, with his combination of size, work ethic and a good shot, I like to see him as a trigger man beside a play maker. As a Center I feel like you need to be a good puck distributor which he isn't.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Wait, I thought toronto schooled us on that trade and he was gonna be a solid top 6 player. :laugh: I could of told you this a while ago

Jul 22, 2012
Extremely frustrating to watch. He has all of the tools to be a really good player, but it just seems like he plays too passive, or something. It's hard to put a finger on.

Hocks95*

Wait, I thought toronto schooled us on that trade and he was gonna be a solid top 6 player. :laugh: I could of told you this a while ago

don't speak too soon bud, you might choke on your words. Jesse Blacker is not doing too well himself in Anaheim and that's playing for the farm team. Holland was pretty dominant for the marlies especially in the playoffs. Holland was on pace for 20 points in his first real year playing less than 12 minutes a night with horrible linemates. Holland is also very solid defensively and a solid pk option. And the dude we got in exchange is not even playing anymore either. We also gave up a 2nd round pick and 7th round pick who I can't seem to figure out who it was. You guys used that second round pick to get Marcus Petterson.

So in essence it was Peter Holland for Marcus Petterson. Yea I'll take it. Depending on how Marcus Petterson turns out to be either team can win this trade. I only used the word flop to get an idea of what other people think about him.

Jacob8hockey*

Has all the tools and we will find out if he has the toolbox.

Last season to really prove himself or he may just end up being a career tweener.

We will see. I think he proves to be NHL quality this year.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
hes just needed time to put it all together. He looked great in the ahl playoffs last season. This year I see him as a 3rd line center who can play effectively in the top six when injuries arise.

tkhockey*

He has a lot of things going for him. A great shot, good skating ability, size, etc. Even his two-way game seems to be above average.

The problem seems to be in between the ears. He's already 23, and hasn't put it together consistently. Only in the AHL is where he seems to put all those skills together and dominate. It is clear that he's too good for the AHL, but I'm not sure where he's going to fit in with the Leafs unless they give him the third line centre spot -- and keep him there.

IMO, he's a third line pro-ready centre, but with a slim chance of breaking through the tweener threshold.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
after reading this thread, pretty sure you guys have James Sheppard 2.0

Players that show ample skill but still somehow manage to underpeform are interesting, and common. Even Sheppard was just starting to turn a corner, but we'll see what happens now, an injury and offseason later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad