Peter Forsberg

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Also very snazzy looking...in his early years.
Peter-Forsberg-Signed-Photo.jpg

Not as cool looking when he changed his helmet,

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Forsberg is the Avs for me. I saw him play one game and I was hooked. He just played the game so beautifully, watching him play was simply magical.

He spoiled me for hockey players during his prime. I kept comparing guys to him and even now I do it, which is not fair because no one is Forsberg.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My favorite player as a little kid, the reason I played hockey and the reason I watch and follow it today.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
In every EA NHL game I either create him, or transfer him from the memorial teams to my roster before I start a GM mode. Don't give a ****, he'll always be my favorite player.

And I have to make up for probably 5 years worth of Hockey I and all of the other Avs fans missed out on because of his ankle/foot.

There is some interesting comments from players, and media people alike at the time of his HOF induction. A couple comments saying that he may well have been the best player in the NHL at his peak, and that he should be up there with guys like Mario, but will never get the full credit because of the shortened career.

I'm not sure there has been as complete of a player, who could also score like a generational talent.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I wish I had been older to appreciate him. I was too young to realize just how great he was at the time. I didn't really get invested in the Avs until 09. I watch that tribute video every month or so though.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, especially when

In his prime, he was the best hockey player in the world. A lot of NHLers have said the same. He was so dominate and a treat to watch. He could play the skill game and physical game. He's my favorite hockey player of all time.

This sums everything up so perfectly.

He was the best player that I have ever had the privilege to watch in real life, best power forward to ever play the game, and the best player all around, that ever laced them up for the Avalanche. IMO of course. Which is saying something when he counted the likes of Sakic and Roy as his teammates.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think The Avs (or was it Quebec at the time) just about cleaned the house with Philly in the Lindros trade where Forsberg was one of the pieces. In the end I'd take Forsberg over Lindros, no matter how good Lindros was in his prime. But Eric never grasped the idea of looking after health and was a penalty machine. Not sure if that type of a game would suit in the modern NHL where you actually have to avoid penalties if you want to win. Also when you add his nastiness into the equation it probably hurt the team more than helped. People or the fans just don't generally like to talk about that much as he remains once of the hockey icons. Forsberg too was pretty injury prone and his career ended far too soon. One of the best players in the game and I hate to admit that as a Finn.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The most dominant all-round player I've ever watched. I've never see a player be able to do absolutely everything with so much authority. Lemiuex/Gretzky/Sid/Kane are/were all game changers by the way they took over the game with the puck. There's nobody who could take over a game in as many ways as Foppa did.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Roy and Foppa are my favorites players by far. Have a Foppa jersey hanging over my desk.

So I think he is one of the best who wore burgundy and blue!

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Up here in Sweden I can tell what sort of hockey fan I'm talking to by whether or not they like Sundin or Forsberg more. Suffice to say I don't hold the former in very high regard, and that's no offense to Sundin.

Forsberg had a brutal poetry to his game. So many weapons he could chose from. He could move like a ballerina before clobbering you like a rhino. And you'll never see the kind of determination he had. His will to win was downright scary at times. He'd put a team on his back and just do it. At his peak he was almost certainly the best "full-package" player the world has ever seen.

It is hard to get truly hyperbolic in discussing Foppa, regardless of how it may sound to some people who will say that this sort of Forsberg love is evidence of him being overrated. They either never saw him or couldn't appreciate him due to rivalries or having been dropped on their heads as babies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Forsberg is the Avs for me. I saw him play one game and I was hooked. He just played the game so beautifully, watching him play was simply magical.

He spoiled me for hockey players during his prime. I kept comparing guys to him and even now I do it, which is not fair because no one is Forsberg.

If Patrick Kane was a few inches taller, hit people, didn't beat up cab drivers he would be the closest thing to Peter Forsberg. People always say Sidney is Foppa but I see Sidney more like Sakic. Everytime I compare Sakic to Crosby people will say that Sakic didnt have the same bite that Crosby has. Wrong. Sakic was no cup cake. Sakic could hold his own he just knew when to do it. Sakic could lay people out with hits aswell he just rarely did. Foppa LOVED hitting people.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Easily my favorite player of all time (Jagr is 2nd for me)

Never have I seen a player so dominant and could dominate in so many ways. Still makes me sad to this day that his career was shortened by injuries

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Y'all remember the night Foppa punched the Canucks goalie in the nuts?

That was some funny stuff.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
For me is a lesser version of Crosby. Pretty much does everything well but actually lays guys out too. If it wasn't for injuries this guy would be the greatest Swede to play the game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Astounding talent, one of the best if not THE best of his generation. I rank Joe Sakic as the Avs franchise best player ever, but mostly because he stayed healthier and remained an elite player well into his 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad