Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli New President and GM! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd McJiveson

Nov 27, 2013
Take a hit? He's definitely shy after Johnson levelled him in 2012. He picks his spots and I think that was the problem with the Oilers. The chicken **** mentality.

Not saying taking the body is always the smartest thing but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do

I wouldn't call Eberle a chicken ****. He did take the body more when Hall was out and Eakins was gone. I don't think Eberle is the problem here. As the team gets better people will see Eberles game heighten in all areas. IMO.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
People worried that Chiarelli will trade a guy like Hall because he's already traded a guy like Seguin: It seems pretty clear if you read between the lines that Seguin asked for a trade.

Legit or not, amusing finds

Last edited:

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
As if Canucks fans need any more reason to hate Alberta. The Flames are about to beat them in the post season (again) and the man who built the Boston team that caused Vancouver to riot is now in charge of the Oilers on a pretty big scale. Trolol.

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
I will say Eberle was fantastic in the back half. Just fantastic. He might be able to bring back a top pairing D by himself.
No way a team trades a bona-fide #1 D for a winger, let alone a smaller 60 point one. Maybe a #2-3 D, even then might need to throw in a fringe prospect or later pick. Unless they are old and on the tail end of their career I guess.

Don't get me wrong. I love Eberle. Just trying to be realistic. LEGIT top pairing D with mileage left are really hard to come by on the market.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Aren't we trading one OBC for another? I thought Chiarelli cleaned house when he came to Boston didn't he? Brought in his guys (including his brother as a scout...).. If he ends up trading away Hall or Eberle, I can't wait to see the reaction here. Normally I agree with your posts Cloned, but I just can't join people in all the gleeful hand rubbing and high fives.
Yeah, that's me too. I missed this whole ****storm because I live on the other side of the world. Imagine my shock when I woke up this morning. Finally finished reading all the posts, and my reaction is something like yours. Still don't like Katz either. In fact I probably like him less after reading his smarmy comment posted earlier in this thread.

But we have McDavid. No matter what. So I'm going to just keep my mouth shut and watch all the posters I haven't seen in years, or ever, run rampant across the board in glee. Its like a deluge in here. For those who haven't been on this board for the last few years, you have no idea.

I find it amusing that no one seems to be upset that they didn't go through an interview process and Nicholson just hired one of his buddies.
Shhhhh .... people are trying to party.

As for the compensation for the Bruins ... I have an idea. Wasn't MacT a Bruin draft pick? Perhaps we could work something out there ....

McDeathbyCheerios*

I will say Eberle was fantastic in the back half. Just fantastic. He might be able to bring back a top pairing D by himself.
He is a legit and consistent top 30 scorer. Not many players stay in the top 30 year after year. It often fluctuates a lot.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'll just ask this questoin again until someone answers me:

When was the last time you saw an established, expensive player get traded for another established, expensive player? It just doesn't happen in the NHL.

And if Eberle is going, it better not be for a second pairing defenseman.

Well, usually it's quality for quantity. Depends how the trade is packaged. Eberle and a cheap young d-man may get a very good player from a team looking to shed some salary. Maybe Yandle or Girardi from NYR.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
If he did, which I don't think is the case, the feeling was mutual.

Both Seguin and Kessel had known attitude and "me first" reputations.

Am I the only one that thinks that this is leading to Hall being traded? Think about it logically for a second. Katz is going to want this to be McDavid's teams from now on, Hall has always seen it as his team. This year our top line actually played better without Hall. I think keeping RNH/Eberle together and McDavid/Yak together is a lot of serious offense for other teams to deal with. Taylor Hall can net you a bonafide 1/2 dman.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks that this is leading to Hall being traded? Think about it logically for a second. Katz is going to want this to be McDavid's teams from now on, Hall has always seen it as his team. This year our top line actually played better without Hall. I think keeping RNH/Eberle together and McDavid/Yak together is a lot of serious offense for other teams to deal with. Taylor Hall can net you a bonafide 1/2 dman.

i dont see hall going anywhere. he is not a me first guy to the degree of seguin and kessel. hall doesnt play soft either. hall goes to tough areas and pays the price. he IS A CHIA type player.

i expect Chia, along with the drafting of phenom McDavid, to be big players now in the UFA market. i also expect edmonton will be removed from some NTC and NMCs and for players to stop getting their agents to threaten embargoing GMs that might trade those players to Edmonton.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Well, usually it's quality for quantity. Depends how the trade is packaged. Eberle and a cheap young d-man may get a very good player from a team looking to shed some salary. Maybe Yandle or Girardi from NYR.

Eberle and a young D-man is 7+ million in salary. New York loses capspace making a deal for Eberle with either of those players.

It's just... these deals are always the same. It's always a young roster player or highly regarded prospect + lesser prospect + first round draft pick. That's the formula.

Which is why I think you look to something like Draisaitl, 16th overall and Martin Marincin instead. Not only would that be more attractive to another teams cap, it doesn't create a giant vacuum on the Oilers roster that they will not be able to fill without flushing more assets.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I am glad Chiarelli is both President and GM. I didn't see the need to have that many too many cooks in the kitchen.

I will always appreciate Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish for the 06 run, so I am cool with Lowe moving to a role where he doesn't make hockey decisions I hope MacTavish gets another job within the Katz organizations.

Channing76

Jan 3, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
As a Bruins fan and an Edmonton resident, I am very happy Oilers got Chiarelli, he was a great GM for Boston. A real smart Harvard hockey guy. Won a cup for Bruins and I would bet he will do the same here in Edmonton. :handclap:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Eberle and a young D-man is 7+ million in salary. New York loses capspace making a deal for Eberle with either of those players.

It's just... these deals are always the same. It's always a young roster player or highly regarded prospect + lesser prospect + first round draft pick. That's the formula.

Which is why I think you look to something like Draisaitl, 16th overall and Martin Marincin instead. Not only would that be more attractive to another teams cap, it doesn't create a giant vacuum on the Oilers roster that they will not be able to fill without flushing more assets.

They also add two players.

Floyd McJiveson

Nov 27, 2013
I really think that if Hall went to Boston in 2010 they still would have won the cup. Maybe even more. He'd still be in Boston and so would Chia. You don't trade hall unless it's something out of this world. After this week I'm pretty sure were still living in a paradox and the universe is about to explode. It's fun speculating either way.

Reactions: Chabot84

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
As a Bruins fan and an Edmonton resident, I am very happy Oilers got Chiarelli, he was a great GM for Boston. A real smart Harvard hockey guy. Won a cup for Bruins and I would bet he will do the same here in Edmonton. :handclap:

the only thing i worry about is off the ice. he let the bruins turn into ego maniacs. that cant happen in edmonton. the community (charities, youth programs) look to the Oilers and their players for support,

there needs to be a culture change of accountability...that has begun under BN and will no doubt continue under Chia.
but
there needs to also be a change to Oilers players embracing their ability to affect the community and sport for the better.

a return to the days when we had role models and classy social cause motivated players who took part in the community and fanship. a return to the days of ryan smyth, doug weight, bill guerin, janne niinimaa, roman, murray, grier, moreau...

right now we have mainly guys that are just in it for a buck and the accolades.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I really think that if Hall went to Boston in 2010 they still would have won the cup. Maybe even more. He'd still be in Boston and so would Chia. You don't trade hall unless it's something out of this world. After this week I'm pretty sure were still living in a paradox and the universe is about to explode. It's fun speculating either way.

seguin was traded because he is seguin.
hall was precisely what chia needed from seguin. forget about being a centre. we need a winger...and go to the tough areas. if you get knocked down, get up and do it again.

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
Am I the only one that thinks that this is leading to Hall being traded?

Think about it logically for a second. Katz is going to want this to be McDavid's teams from now on, Hall has always seen it as his team. This year our top line actually played better without Hall. I think keeping RNH/Eberle together and McDavid/Yak together is a lot of serious offense for other teams to deal with. Taylor Hall can net you a bonafide 1/2 dman.
Yes I think you might be.

Have you heard Hall recently? He's almost as excited about McDavid as we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad