Peter Budaj back-to-back shutouts

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Budaj was called up after 2+ years spent in the minors because of Quick's injury, then Zatkoff gets injured too. Budaj has now started 11 consecutive games for the Kings and has held his own for the most part: 7 wins, 1.86 gaa, 91,9% save percentage. Currently on a 2 game shutout streak. Pretty good for someone whose NHL career was practically over.

Question is, does he stay up with the big team when Quick comes back?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I don't know yet. Was wondering the same thing. He may have earned the backup job. If the question really is if Quick will lose his job as starter, the answer is no.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
Just shows how good Kings can be defensively as a unit..

No wonder people say Quick is the product of a great Defensive system..

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

I can understand why you would say that, but Budaj has been playing so well. Maybe it's the system, but he's made the saves and is playing with confidence. Even when he got pulled those goals were not his all his fault. He has played really well.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Peter Budaj?

kdzw08x.jpg

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Any other ex-Habs goalies getting shutouts? Condon recently had one...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

And some of his previous starts also show how bad they can be.

None of those goalies can steal a game like Quick can when the Kings are out of sync.

But Budaj, to his credit, has remained focused and only gotten better and better as his confidence has built. He still really struggles finding the puck vs. big teams that crash the net as well as with top-end skill sniping him, but if he can be even league average, the Kings should be okay.

Happy for him to get these shutouts as a reward for the first game he started to play really well when the Kings couldn't generate offense. Prior to that point, the Kings had been playing well, but getting sub .900 goaltending since Quickie went out....ever since, Budaj has gotten better and better.

Credit the kids for acclimating to the lineup quickly with all our injuries/suspensions, especially on D--having to play Greene and Gravel (who has been fantastic) as well as moving Forbort up to play beside Doughty.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
and Andrew Hammond did the exact same, and came crashing down to earth not long after...

let's just wait out a little, please :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Budaj is a great backup, good to come in for a few games, but not someone you want to play ~50 games a year. Good to see him play well, he's a good guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad