Peter ČereÅ¡ňák vs Martin Marinčin

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
From red line report

Radim Jelinek: I won´t be surprised if Ceresnak is first and the only one Slovak still playing in Europe selected in June in Minnesota. However I´m not a big fan of him and I´m personally much more interested in 6-4 tall D from Kosice Martin Gernat who also belongs into the group of sleepers I mentioned in previous answer. Gernat is a smooth skater with fluid stride and decent footwork for his size. Has very good vision and hands, moves the puck well, handles the puck with confidence making solid decision with puck. Likes to join the rush regularly and shows good instinct in sliding from the point into scoring positions. Just started developing physical play in his game, still very inconsistent using his body, needs to play aggressive, physical game all the time. When he uses it then he is tough to beat 1 on 1, angles forwards to the outside, tights forward up at the boards, hits hard. Lacks strength right now and still growing but has frame to fill it out. D-zone coverage is still very average, needs to read the play better defensively, improve positional play and play much tighter game. Very raw but I like his progress throughout the season and see some similar things in his game as in Martin Marincin´s. He is far from him as Marincin was first rounder in my eyes while Gernat is later-round pick but upside is there.

On the other hand, Ceresnak is already well built physically, strong on skates. Feet are a bit slow and heavy, passes are firm and can make good outlet but not smart or creative with puck. Defensively he is strong in battles and is tough to beat in 1 on 1 situations. However doesn´t read the play in own zone, when opposing forwards start cycling, collide each other, shift spots then he is not able to read those situations properly, picks up wrong player consistently, gets out of position, wanders around own zone without his player.

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/01/red-line-report-scout-radim-jelinek_24.html

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
I watched a few games of U20 HK Orange youth team in Slovak Extraliga. At the beginning of the season he was not the best, like whole team of youngsters. However after Christmas they improved a lot (team was almost completely changed, but Čerešňák remained), they won some games and even Čerešňák played better with new team-mates.
Anyway, I think he's more defensive defender than Marinčin.

PS: A lot of people was surprised that Marinčin is such a star in WHL this season, because he wasn't so dominant in U20 last season. I hope Čerešňák will be similar. You know, participating of U20 team in Slovak Extraliga help to our youngsters and then they play a good hockey in CHL teams (Marinčin, Šťastný, Cingel), so in my opinion he will have no problem to play in CHL junior league in Canada, like the others.

Last edited:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I watched a few games of U20 HK Orange youth team in Slovak Extraliga. At the beginning of the season he was not the best, like whole team of youngsters. However after Christmas they improved a lot (team was almost completely changed, but ČereÅ¡ňák remained), they won some games and even ČereÅ¡ňák played better with new team-mates.
Anyway, I think he's more defensive defender than Marinčin.

PS: A lot of people was surprised that Marinčin is such a star in WHL this season, because he wasn't so dominant in U20 last season. I hope ČereÅ¡ňák will be similar. You know, participating of U20 team in Slovak Extraliga help to our youngsters and then they play a good hockey in CHL teams (Marinčin, Å ťastný, Cingel), so in my opinion he will have no problem to play in CHL junior league in Canada, like the others.

Marincin was key D(and easily the best D) last season on Slovakian U-20 in Extraliga and top four D at World juniors. Ceresnak hardly made the team for World juniors and looked awful in Extraliga before Christmas. I agree that he played better with new teammates in February though. However Marincin is simply much much better prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad