Pete Deboer

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
So. What's the deal with him? Where do we see his strengths and weaknesses. Major differences with tmac? (Who btw has his oilers in last place)

Personally, I see an interesting system that will likely bear fruit later in the season. We know it involves stretch passes toward the boards to create entry options. Where it seems to fail is when the forward receiving the pass is not moving or the forward gets no support.

We know no specifics on the system but it looks like the d man stretches the neutral zone for a forward either straddling the blue line at a move and can turn in for a clean entry or in the case of a static forward, a second support forward would be present for a soft chip to the half boards. Again I'd cobsuder this a clean entry. Lastly the static forward can do a full tip in for a change.

I like the system but I hate that we still don't regulary get a forward down low for easy break outs like the best teams. I also don't like our defense scheme. We don't really do much of anything until they are in our zone. You get a pressure guy and a man to man guy in the neutral and the third forward that should be reading the play, but we are seemingly allowing a lot of clean entries and then turtling around the slot allowing point shots.

So what are you thoughts on how he manages games, tweaks strategies or dolls out ice time?

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Not a big fan of the lack of creativity in the offensive zone. The entire, get the puck deep, battle for it, push it up to the D, D shoots, hope for a tip or rebound.

That might be the reason why our PP is not performing at the caliber it should. The offense seems bland and too predictable.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Every game, DeBoer's likability gets chipped away. Without the bad start of the teams in the Pacific division, most of us here would be more vocal about DeBoer. That is what's covering his butt right now.

Teams in the Pacific will get sorted out and more on track. If DeBoer does not turn it around, the team will be practically eliminated in February and many here will be calling for his head. If that happens, his weakness will provide cover for DW, but I will be back saying that DW needs to be fired first.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
this. the team will not be rostered to win like the best in the league without him.

How many games have we lost by 1 point? Couture was something like .8 PPG last year and .3 GPG. Hardly scientific, but I wouldn't doubt us having another 3-4 wins with him in the line-up.

That said, I actually think having this time to fine tune without him will be benediticial in the long run. Guys like Hertl, Ward, Wingels and to a lesser extent Donskoi and Goldobin have really stepped up in his absence. Hope they can carry it forward.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
One thing I like is that we no longer come out guns blazing in the first only to squander our 1-3 goal lead when everyone starts getting tired.

I also like that we no longer have all 3 defensive pairings play ~20 minutes a night.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Not a big fan of the lack of creativity in the offensive zone. The entire, get the puck deep, battle for it, push it up to the D, D shoots, hope for a tip or rebound.

That might be the reason why our PP is not performing at the caliber it should. The offense seems bland and too predictable.

This. I haven't been that impressed. I do like the more aggressive hockey aspect (especially on D), but that constant shooting from the D seems too predictable.

I'm sure the system is still being implemented, but I will admit I never wanted him so I'm a bit biased against.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This. I haven't been that impressed. I do like the more aggressive hockey aspect (especially on D), but that constant shooting from the D seems too predictable.

I'm sure the system is still being implemented, but I will admit I never wanted him so I'm a bit biased against.

Every team we play does that to us as much as we do it them. How often do teams score once they enter the zone and start working along the boards. You aren't getting much through the crease area with a pass. If you're lucky it bounces off a player and you get a goal. The goalies are too big, the pads too big and the net too small to score in close 5v5. You either pass it back to the point which passes it to an open player who quickly passes and then a player shoots or if there's not a player open to pass to they shoot from the point if the shot is there. Sometimes when it's not lol.

Unfortunately other teams tend to have more success from the point shot than we do. Thank god for Burns or we might never score from the point - sad lol.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
How many games have we lost by 1 point? Couture was something like .8 PPG last year and .3 GPG. Hardly scientific, but I wouldn't doubt us having another 3-4 wins with him in the line-up.

That said, I actually think having this time to fine tune without him will be benediticial in the long run. Guys like Hertl, Ward, Wingels and to a lesser extent Donskoi and Goldobin have really stepped up in his absence. Hope they can carry it forward.

if not wins, at least some OTLs. by his goals-above-replacement rate he would be good for about 3-4 more goals-for which probably would have got us quite a few more points. the season would look a lot different at this point, that's for sure.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Every team we play does that to us as much as we do it them. How often do teams score once they enter the zone and start working along the boards. You aren't getting much through the crease area with a pass. If you're lucky it bounces off a player and you get a goal. The goalies are too big, the pads too big and the net too small to score in close 5v5. You either pass it back to the point which passes it to an open player who quickly passes and then a player shoots or if there's not a player open to pass to they shoot from the point if the shot is there. Sometimes when it's not lol.

Unfortunately other teams tend to have more success from the point shot than we do. Thank god for Burns or we might never score from the point - sad lol.

Pff Burns didn't score last game. All Pickles baby.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Yea having couturs back would be nice. I'm not really talking about our wins and losses. More just the long term viability of his coaching style. Do we think it'll affect our playoff run? He does ride guys. Markeau has been getting double shifted.

Personally it tells me he puts winning squarely first. So you may see young guys up and down a lot while others he seems to be trusting of like nieto tierney and hertl. Goldobin goodrow mueller etc not quite.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Too early to tell. Hasn't rubbed me the wrong way yet. Really need a better gauge with more games and Couture back.

Couture out is a good test for DeBoer. It's unreasonable to expect no injuries throughout the season, and injuries do test a coach quite well. In fact, I'd say having to deal with and planning around injuries in the NHL is standard operating procedure for a coach.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I like how he has been handling line combinations. Style of play, not so much. Though the style now appears different than it did before couture got hurt, so I'm not sure how much of this is adjustments for him being out or what. Need more time to get the feel of that.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
From overall perspective, too early too tell.

From a player development perspective, again, too early to tell.

From a strategy perspective, I like how he's got a much more aggressive forecheck that is creating great scoring chances. With the talent on the Sharks, good offensive zone chances are very valuable and something the Sharks didn't get off turnovers previously. Still too early to judge his overall.

I've always felt special teams are one very good indicator of a coach's tactical abilities and should show near immediate results. This has been poor so far. A little too early to tell, but there is no way with JT/PM/JP/Burns the Sharks should be a last-place powerplay team.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I noticed in the Boston game that whilst the D was looking for a stretch pass out of the zone, there was at least one forward tending to remain low for support if the pass wasn't there. Don't think that had been the case during the losses.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Bumping. Almost half way.

I've noticed good and bad from deboer.

In game line matching seems to be his biggest weakness. Having last change doesn't help him as he isn't great at using it. Seeing other teams top lines against our 4th at home is pretty bad. Is it part of his philosophy that all 4 lines need to be able to get the job done? Seems silly when you ice brown lerg Haley etc.

The good: period to period adjustments. Team using neutral zone trap? Up the forecheck and stretch pass. Team getting in on us hard? Activate the D more etc. lots of good little things.

I also like that we are better at finishing rather than starting. We seem more consistent over 60 min. Instead of a flash in the pan 1st period and go into a shell the rest of the game.

Thoughts?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I think DeBoer has been fine but what happened to the stuff he was saying at the start of the year about rolling four lines? Seems like he flat out benches at least two forwards for the second half of every game. It makes sense when it's Haley and Brown riding the pine but as we (slowly) get healthier I hope he uses his fourth line more later in games. Ben Smith gave us some good shifts in the first period last night but was nowhere to be seen afterward. Overtaxing our top guys in the first third of the season doesn't seem like a great long term strategy.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Still waiting for a fully healthy roster to continue much more judgement on him. I think he's done a fine job and despite the Sharks home record, I think their play is indicative of pretty much missing a top player week in and week out. Being over .500 right now is honestly miraculous.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
He is huge on rolling 4 lines. He's still trying to see what he has in players and dealing with injuries and line shuffles due to them. I'll wait until it's later in the season and it's really crunch time to see what he does.

He just commented that the team is still struggling with playing the system as he sees it, but sees good progress.

So, TBD :)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's possible that he's got an outdated or skewed view of our lines and it leads to him being terrible at line matching and that's why we suck on home Ice since he seems to put ohr 3rd and 4th lines out against other team's top lines.

Anyways resounding meh from me right now

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Not sure if this has anything to do with PDB but we have been terrible to start a lot of games. Like completely dominated for the first 5 minutes or so. A lot of losses seem like we gave up really early goals and couldn't dig are way all the way out of the hole even outplaying the other team for the rest of the game.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Sharks sucking on home ice is on the players. They try and play some cutesy east/west game instead of the straight ahead pressure style they do on the road. Plus the goalies ******** the bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad