Pesce - Why no thread?

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Considering he looks to be the best Defensive D man prospect, responsibility wise, this teem has seen in how long? He's more responsible than Faulk in his own end.

The dude makes like.... nearly zero mistakes so far and he's been challenged plenty.

Hot and lucky streaks are for scoring, not stay at home D-men. Thier minor mistakes turn into goals on the board and lost games.

He keeps this up, not only will he be here to stay, he will be half of a top tier shutdown pair. He's scary responsible in his end for his age, and the guy looks perfectly content to NOT score and do the blue collar job no one will see of mopping up this mistakes.

In last nights Sens game I saw him as the only D man back more than once. And he doesnt get frazzled, out-skated, or intimidated by 2 on 1's either. His head is as level as a nimitz class carrier.

I LIKE this guy. Alot.

Im betting most FB type fans dont even know he exists because - no goals.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
What has impressed me the most about him is his confidence. He can shield the puck and work the wall without panicking, he can turn and burn deep in the offensive zone, he doesn't usually rush or force passes. He's unflappable. Cannot be flapped

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So if I undstand this correctly, after 7 games, you're saying he will be part of a top-tier shutdown pairing?

...Really?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So if I undstand this correctly, after 7 games, you're saying he will be part of a top-tier shutdown pairing?

...Really?

That's not how I read it. When he wrote "He keeps this up, not only.......", which to me means, that he's not saying it is a conclusion after 7 games, he's saying that if he keeps this type of play up (for time undefined), he will.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's not how I read it. When he wrote "He keeps this up, not only.......", which to me means, that he's not saying it is a conclusion after 7 games, he's saying that if he keeps this type of play up (for time undefined), he will.

But at the same time, he said that "hot and lucky streaks are for scoring, not stay at home D-men", which, to me, implied he felt Pesce could keep this play up for time undefined.

Pesce has shown some impressive early returns, but any hype surrounding him has to be mixed with the context of "Well, he's not even played 1/10th of a full NHL season."

Just from a pure mathematical context, it's far more likely that Pesce ends up as AHL fodder than as a part of a top tier shutdown pair.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I understand BLB. While he is being optimistic, I think you might be over-analyzing what he wrote a bit (but we all do that :) ) I could be wrong, but I think he's simply saying that the style of play Pesce plays isn't the type of style that leads to a hot streak, but had the caveat of "if he keeps it up" he'll be with the team and a shutdown guy (meaning to me that he's still gotta prove himself). Of course he has a long way to go to be a top caliber (or even full time) NHL player, but it's not unreasonable to try to project where he may end up down the road given his current attributes, I mean, that's the basic premise of Hockey Futures.

I do agree the hype right now is a bit much for only playing a handful of games, and he has made and will make some mistakes that he hopefully will learn from, but I have to admit that I can't remember the last time (if ever) a Canes defenseman stepped right in without any professional experience and looked like they belonged like he has.

I honestly think Pesce has more offense to his game than we are currently seeing though. Yes, he plays confidently, responsibly and appears to be strong along the boards, but watch highlights from last nights game on the Canes website around the 30s mark. The way he moved, anticipated and got to an open spot to get a good shot off was very natural.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The offense doesn't really jump out of the zone when he gets the puck. He doesn't make mistakes like Faulk/Hanifin/Murphy, but I think a lot of that is that he's VERY deliberate. Maybe too deliberate, maybe not.

But on top of the facebook crowd noticing the 0 goals, they might also notice there's only been 2 goals scored with him on the ice in 120 minutes of play.

How much is Pesce related, and how much is Canes offense related is certainly debatable, but they aren't exactly flying out of the zone.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
he's so consistently good along the boards, something I feel the canes haven't had in a while especially from a player this new to the league

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The offense doesn't really jump out of the zone when he gets the puck. He doesn't make mistakes like Faulk/Hanifin/Murphy, but I think a lot of that is that he's VERY deliberate. Maybe too deliberate, maybe not.

I think he is being very deliberate and keeping it simple honestly. That's why I think as he becomes more experienced and confident, he'll take more chances offensively.

BTW, were both goals scored against him once he got paired with Hainsey?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The cool part is that his puck skills project to offense eventually also. He's not elite but he makes smart offensive plays and passes well. He's working from his zone out like all defensive prospects should do, but he has another gear. I like his ability to be bigger than the moment. Poise is a word that gets thrown around a lot, but he's got it.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I think he's incredibly defensively responsible for his age, and I think he seems to have an excellent mindset in his own end.

That's not luck.

Only time will tell if it holds. But I cant remember anyone we have called up on the back end, who has looked this good defensively in a long time.

It seems also that he might actually be listening to his coach who is saying "take it slow, youre in the NHL, these guys will burn you if you press too much offensively"

Hes a -2 with 1 assist IIRC from last night's handout. Thats damn sure better than Murphy or Hanafin.

Defensemen are slower to develop than forwards. How often do you see a d-man come from college hockey, in to the NHL on their first call up at his age, and look so solidly defensive out of the gate?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Defensemen are slower to develop than forwards. How often do you see a d-man come from college hockey, in to the NHL on their first call up at his age, and look so solidly defensive out of the gate?

Which is why people are attributing the on ice for two goals in roughly 120 minutes at least partially to 'luck'. Looking at GA/60 over the entire NHL, you see a hodgepodge of elite defensemen, household names (Kieth Yandle at .78? Wow) and several cases that are clearly luck. Such as Jamie McBain's .56, good for 4th in the entire NHL.

Over a small sample size, it gets very wonky. I wish I could read advanced stats better, I see that Noah Hanifin has the 2nd best CF% on the team while Ryan Murphy has the 3rd: but I can easily tell you which one has played better.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't know if I should think he's this good, or if he is merely highlighting how mediocre our d corp is once again. Pesce has been legit. Great mobility for a big guy, and has confidence not usually seen in a player this young at this position. He pushes his limits and learns from it, which I really like. He's physical and wants to be involved. He's better than Hanifin at this point, no doubt. Obviously Hanifin has an obviously higher potential ceiling. While this is a Pesce thread, I can't help but wonder if we would've been so inclined to keep Hanifin around this year if we knew Pesce was going to be as good as he has? It was impossible to plan around, so it's a moot point. It's nice to see the team's hype train about a guy be right, as they've been hinting for awhile this guy was a candidate for the team in the near future.

He's got top 4 potential, no doubt. It'll be interesting to see this defensive unit when Wiz comes back. Pesce is cementing his place more and more every game. He's too good to take out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't know if I should think he's this good, or if he is merely highlighting how mediocre our d corp is once again. Pesce has been legit. Great mobility for a big guy, and has confidence not usually seen in a player this young at this position. He pushes his limits and learns from it, which I really like. He's physical and wants to be involved. He's better than Hanifin at this point, no doubt. Obviously Hanifin has an obviously higher potential ceiling. While this is a Pesce thread, I can't help but wonder if we would've been so inclined to keep Hanifin around this year if we knew Pesce was going to be as good as he has? It was impossible to plan around, so it's a moot point. It's nice to see the team's hype train about a guy be right, as they've been hinting for awhile this guy was a candidate for the team in the near future.

He's got top 4 potential, no doubt. It'll be interesting to see this defensive unit when Wiz comes back. Pesce is cementing his place more and more every game. He's too good to take out.

I really think it was important for Hanifin to leave school. I know that sounds crazy, but I remember on one of those all access shows that followed Hanifin from the second he was drafted all the way to the Canes interview room showed him saying to his dad something to the effect of "they told me I'm gonna play," which to me seems to indicate that it was important for Hanifin to be in the NHL this year. There are a lot of one and done players at the NCAA level that know it. I think keeping Hanifin around was more to engender some kind of loyalty from him. Because as you noticed, he wasn't the best of the kids that didn't make the team. Fleury, strictly from camp, was better this year in my opinion. I don't believe it was a decision based entirely on merit, which is fine if you think the talent is exceptional. It could be argued that a guy like Slavin might have outplayed him as well. It's a good problem to have.

But as is conventionally accepted, Hanifin at his roughest and rawest is still pretty damn good right now. He didn't get the benefit of a couple of extra years to develop, so his development should be accelerated at this level accordingly.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Absolutely, it's a credit to Pesce not an insult to Hanifin to have been outplayed at this point. Hanifin shows ridiculous raw skill and skating, and he has that "it" poise level with the puck that a guy like Faulk will never possess. Whether he translates that into success we shall see, he seems to be on the right path. I don't know that I like playing Hanifin if he didn't flat our beat others, but I do think it may have been awkward signing him and doing anything else with him. I like how theyre sitting him a little to break him in. It has to be keeping his humility in check to see a guy like Pesce play the way he has and get in the game over him.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Absolutely, it's a credit to Pesce not an insult to Hanifin to have been outplayed at this point. Hanifin shows ridiculous raw skill and skating, and he has that "it" poise level with the puck that a guy like Faulk will never possess. Whether he translates that into success we shall see, he seems to be on the right path. I don't know that I like playing Hanifin if he didn't flat our beat others, but I do think it may have been awkward signing him and doing anything else with him. I like how theyre sitting him a little to break him in. It has to be keeping his humility in check to see a guy like Pesce play the way he has and get in the game over him.

I wonder how he feels about seeing a guy like Jordan play over him :)

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I don't think he should get any real respect until he changes his number from 54. Makes me think of Adam McQuaid and that's never good. :sarcasm:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don't think he should get any real respect until he changes his number from 54. Makes me think of Adam McQuaid and that's never good. :sarcasm:

I suspect that's one of those rookie numbers that got assigned to him, and I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see it change next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I suspect that's one of those rookie numbers that got assigned to him, and I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see it change next season.

Yeah, in a different thread, I think Dave said he was 22 in college, which is assigned to Boychuk currently. I'm going to go out on a limb and say 22 just might be available next year. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad