Perspective II: do you like these guys?

Is this your least favourite Maple Leafs team?

• Total voters

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So... we are ALL going to cheer for this team in the playoffs.

Certainly offensively exciting. Great goaltending, when Andersen plays. Speed. Star players.

Without a doubt though, soft as the day after a laxative. No team unity. A hold out that reminds us of when Shanahan held out. Rigid coach. Suggestions of a rift between star player and coach to the point that some think the team is playing poorly to get him fired. GM handing out money like candy. GM philosophy of skill over grit.

This is OUR team. You and I will cheer loudly for every playoff game.

But privately. When it’s just you and your thoughts. Do you like these guys?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's an entertaining team and plays its own style.

When they start skating and making plays, it's a very exciting brand of hockey.

But yes, I do miss the early 00s teams with Tucker, Domi, Corson, and Yushkevich. Led to some incredible playoff hockey that was more in tune with Toronto's love for blue collar hockey.

Reactions: ElbowLander

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
This is an extremely unlikeable group of players. Entitled, lazy, not willing to pay the price. It’s very difficult to cheer for cowards like Nylander and Gardiner. It is difficult to like Shanny and Dubas, when they ooze arrogance. Is there a more arrogant front office in the league? Doubtful.

Very tough group to cheer for IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is an unlikeable group of players. I’ve seen fans justifiably wear paper bags on their heads, but this is first time in my life I’ve been embarrassed to wear my Leafs cap in public.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So... we are ALL going to cheer for this team in the playoffs.

Certainly offensively exciting. Great goaltending, when Andersen plays. Speed. Star players.

Without a doubt though, soft as the day after a laxative. No team unity. A hold out that reminds us of when Shanahan held out. Rigid coach. Suggestions of a rift between star player and coach to the point that some think the team is playing poorly to get him fired. GM handing out money like candy. GM philosophy of skill over grit.

This is OUR team. You and I will cheer loudly for every playoff game.

But privately. When it’s just you and your thoughts. Do you like these guys?

I’m not sure I’ll even watch the Leafs Bruins series. It depends on what other games are on. Vegas and San Jose shapes up to be the best series.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I love this team. I think we have great young players and there's nothing about them that makes me want to turn up my nose. They're not perfect and there's lots about them that need to improve for the future, but there are no "but"s when I say I really like these players.

The fanbase on the other hand...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’m not sure I’ll even watch the Leafs Bruins series. It depends on what other games are on. Vegas and San Jose shapes up to be the best series.

Haha why are you in the leafs message board then? What a silly post, there is nothing that will stop me watching that series. Definition of a fair weather fan right here.

I’m sure you are just being hyperbolic though

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Haha why are you in the leafs message board then? What a silly post, there is nothing that will stop me watching that series. Definition of a fair weather fan right here.

It's a cry for attention and it typically works ;)

Reactions: CarterD and Walshy7

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I’ve lived through pathetic teams but never one that lacks toughness and determination. Phil Kessel rolls his eyes at this group.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
All depends on the playoffs. We made it in easily, but we have to show some progression ... we have to win a playoff series or two. Everything is based on that now.

Can't get to negative on a team dealing with a lot injuries. But these guys have to show up vs. Boston.
If they don't show up, then changes have to come right?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

personally (for the most part) I don't think Leaf fans are fair weathered, far from it. I have invested more time and heartache in this team than most. Far more than Shanahan; Babcock; Dubas; all the current players and numerous one's who've come and gone, nothing's changed in all that time. The Leafs suck for long periods, then once they get close to being a competent team it all goes sideways. I see nothing to indicate this current version won't result in the same fate. I blame Shanahan, he hired Dubas knowing full well his GM and coach would blend like oil and water.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
personally (for the most part) I don't think Leaf fans are fair weathered, far from it. I have invested more time and heartache in this team than most. Far more than Shanahan; Babcock; Dubas; all the current players and numerous one's who've come and gone, nothing's changed in all that time. The Leafs suck for long periods, then once they get close to being a competent team it all goes sideways. I see nothing to indicate this current version won't result in the same fate. I blame Shanahan, he hired Dubas knowing full well his GM and coach would blend like oil and water.

At some point the franchise has to reward the fan base for being so loyal. You can’t expect fans to continue to blindly suppport a sub par product. This organization has been inept for so many years, they are lucky to even have fans.

It’s mind blowing when people complain about Leaf fans being negative.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
At some point the franchise has to reward the fan base for being so loyal. You can’t expect fans to continue to blindly suppport a sub par product. This organization has been inept for so many years, they are lucky to even have fans.

and yet here we are...........

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I too enjoy having a good team.

Seems we're the minority. The fanbase has gone mental.
Guess it depends on what you consider the alternative. I see more potential that I do production with this group.

Nobody goes 100% all the time (except Hyman), but the team as a whole has taken way too many nights off. Even if the last week to ten days isn't one of them.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Well you're calling a team that will make the playoffs for the third straight year with one of the best young cores in the league a "sub par product" so yeah, you do seem absurdly negative. Also don't seem to have much perspective about the situations around the league and how many would be ecstatic to have our problems.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’ve lived through pathetic teams but never one that lacks toughness and determination. Phil Kessel rolls his eyes at this group.

Are you a goldfish? It’s funny when people say things like this kessel was/is the softest player in the league bar none. But to prove a point you need pretend he wasn’t I get it

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I too enjoy having a good team.

Seems we're the minority. The fanbase has gone mental.

They are good but is it a team?

Collection of individuals vs go into battle for each other.

The 2002 Leafs, with injuries to key players, were far less talented heading into the playoffs vs Ottawa.

Alyn McCauley was moved up from the 4th line. Marlies went into the line up and on the backs of McCauley, Jonas Hoglind and Gary Roberts they knocked out the Sens in 7 games.

That was a team you could like.

I’m not sure about this year’s version.

Reactions: goleafsgo88

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Right? I was responding msg to a fan questioning weather he watch the leafs in the playoffs or not, that is the very definition of a fair weather fan. If we beat Boston that same poster would be “all in” in the 2nd round and on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad