GDT: Perds @ Abes | 4pm MT | High Effort Emergency GDT

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I saw a few posts saying the Preds' first goal was not George's fault. I disagree. He made himself look so small that he gave up the entire upper part of the net to the shooter.

At this point Juice needs to be given more starts and a chance to take over the starter job. It is obvious the team plays a lot better in front of him and they are starting to have issues with George. You either go into the POs with a guy the players don't trust anymore or a rookie they like a lot more, is doing the job and making the saves they need.

As for next year I would go with both Juice and Provy and let them fight it out for the starter job with Juice being given the edge.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
People need to chill a little on the goalie thing. How soon some of us forget that Georgiev was quite good, if not brilliant, during the win streak, and was probably the best player for the Avs in the shootout loss to the Rangers. One game where he wasn't his best (but I don't think even then he was bad by any means) should not erase all that.

We should be happy that it appears that Annunen is holding up his end of the bargain, but it's WAY too premature to be ringing the "goalie controversy" bell. Hopefully George will settle down a bit and get some good starts in before the playoffs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
People need to chill a little on the goalie thing. How soon some of us forget that Georgiev was quite good, if not brilliant, during the win streak, and was probably the best player for the Avs in the shootout loss to the Rangers. One game where he wasn't his best (but I don't think even then he was bad by any means) should not erase all that.

We should be happy that it appears that Annunen is holding up his end of the bargain, but it's WAY too premature to be ringing the "goalie controversy" bell. Hopefully George will settle down a bit and get some good starts in before the playoffs.
Yeah, I've been slowly winding down my criticism of Georgiev. It became clear at the deadline that the Avs management still consider him the belle of the Ball (arena). It's time to dance with the one we brought.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I've been slowly winding down my criticism of Georgiev. It became clear at the deadline that the Avs management still consider him the belle of the Ball (arena). It's time to dance with the one we brought.
There was no real, discernible upgrade on Georgie to be had out there. Certainly not one that didn't garner considerable risk and/or additional cap maneuvering. I was a tad surprised they stuck with Justus but in hindsight, maybe that was the right move.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I saw a few posts saying the Preds' first goal was not George's fault. I disagree. He made himself look so small that he gave up the entire upper part of the net to the shooter.
The way I saw that goal was kind of like a football/soccer goalkeeper guessing the wrong way on a penalty shot. The preds player got the puck right between the hashmarks, all alone. George either stands up to protect the top of the net, leaving his 5-hole vulnerable, or he collapses into the butterfly to close the 5-hole. He did the latter, and the shot went up top. He guessed wrong. Sure, he could have made the save, but the inverse is also true, had the player gone low he would have made the stop. He had to make a decision, and he went the wrong way.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh BTW, I hope those of you who posted on here earlier in the year that Cogs was washed up saw him overpower Filip Forsberg for the puck in front of the net to setup Trenin for the GWG. Why was Forsberg all bent outta shape with the refs about that?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

At this point Juice needs to be given more starts and a chance to take over the starter job. It is obvious the team plays a lot better in front of him and they are starting to have issues with George. You either go into the POs with a guy the players don't trust anymore or a rookie they like a lot more, is doing the job and making the saves they need.

As for next year I would go with both Juice and Provy and let them fight it out for the starter job with Juice being given the edge.
He came out to the top of the crease to challenge, but if he had come out any more, Smith could have just deked to his right and had a wide open net. He was inexcusably wide open in the most dangerous spot on the ice. If George is more aggressive there in cutting down the angles he leaves himself vulnerable. It was just a lose-lose situation for him there.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Oh BTW, I hope those of you who posted on here earlier in the year that Cogs was washed up saw him overpower Filip Forsberg for the puck in front of the net to setup Trenin for the GWG. Why was Forsberg all bent outta shape with the refs about that?

Yeah that was pretty funny. I think he was fishing for a hooking call or something. I made a comment on it when it happened because he did the turn around bitch fit where he threw his hands up like MacK does some times lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The way I saw that goal was kind of like a football/soccer goalkeeper guessing the wrong way on a penalty shot. The preds player got the puck right between the hashmarks, all alone. George either stands up to protect the top of the net, leaving his 5-hole vulnerable, or he collapses into the butterfly to close the 5-hole. He did the latter, and the shot went up top. He guessed wrong. Sure, he could have made the save, but the inverse is also true, had the player gone low he would have made the stop. He had to make a decision, and he went the wrong way.

What happened on that first goal was Smith bobbled the puck right when he was about to shoot, so it acted like a fanned shot which made Georgie go down early and leave all that room up top.

Toews leaving the font of the net to go below the goal line, even though Cale and Parise were already there, and leaving Smith wide open in the low slot didn't help either.

I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses for George, because there's been a pattern all year, and last year as well, of not making all the big saves and letting in too many goals, but he did have some bad luck in this one too.

Second goal, Jankowski’s cross ice pass went off Toews and back to Jankowski while George slid out of position for the back door shot, and Jankowski went post, then bar and in. Third goal, the broadcast said Fabbro’s goal ramped up Mitt’s stick, but I couldn't tell for sure. Fourth goal was a 2 on 1 and a great shot, but I'd like to see him make a big save there given it was from far out.

Even his penalty was a bit of bad luck. He just very lightly one armed it and Freidman said it went off the glass and out of the rink.

IMO the root of the problem is George loses focus. When he plays his former team the Rangers, he’s supremely focused for 60 minutes, plays great, and only gives up a couple goals. When they're behind, and need huge saves to keep them in the game, he can make them.

But at other times, like in this game, he doesn’t look dialed in to start, and can’t make the big saves early to keep the score low. Seems like it usually happens in the first period too.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Hmmmm, I don't know. I was told by self appointed hockey experts here that work at gas stations (probably) that it wasn't his fault.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Hmmmm, I don't know. I was told by self appointed hockey experts here that work at gas stations (probably) that it wasn't his fault.
This is what frustrates me the most about this place sometimes. We all have different opinions on things, and every opinion (however miseducated, or misguided, or different) is still a valid opinion. But the amount of snark aimed at those who choose to defend Georgiev, and don't automatically see every goal as necessarily his fault is going up and up, this thread is a great example of it. No one appointed themselves an expert, they just expressed different opinions. There are a handful of posters here who state their own opinion as pure fact, and any different viewpoint is cut down with snark and insults. This place is great for discourse, until it's not - like here. You insinuate those who have defended George work at gas stations, as if that would make their opinions any less valid.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, he wasn't outright horrid but when even the coach says you're not sharp, then you're definitely not sharp.

That said, we seem to forget that Annunen let in two pretty questionable goals in the Habs loss, in fact one of them was just outright horrible. People should not be so quick to give him the starter's job when he still has some ways to go to prove he's a legit backup.

I know this might sound ironic given that it's coming from me but I feel like there should be a little more emphasis on the positive aspect, like the fact that Annunen was indeed very good in relief last game, than the negative aspect of a less-than-stellar game from Georgiev.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is what frustrates me the most about this place sometimes. We all have different opinions on things, and every opinion (however miseducated, or misguided, or different) is still a valid opinion. But the amount of snark aimed at those who choose to defend Georgiev, and don't automatically see every goal as necessarily his fault is going up and up, this thread is a great example of it. No one appointed themselves an expert, they just expressed different opinions. There are a handful of posters here who state their own opinion as pure fact, and any different viewpoint is cut down with snark and insults. This place is great for discourse, until it's not - like here. You insinuate those who have defended George work at gas stations, as if that would make their opinions any less valid.

George aside, just in general it's been worse this year too. There seems to be a strong reaction to any comment, that goes against the group think. All nuance in a discussion seems to get ignored as well.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It definitely looked like a stick in the midsection that the ref missed
On one highlight the camera showed that it looked like he was getting hooked, then they showed the replay from the other camera on the other side where it clearly showed he's got a big, giant handful of the players stick and he's clearly HOLDING it. Then he has the audacity to put his hand up like - WTF ??? Hey filip - you're not a f***ing muskateer, you frikkin' dumbass!

It definitely was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in the past 10 years. There was a metric ton of garbage that they just completely ignored. Their guy runs into our goalie - no problem - MacKinnon gets hipchecked into theirs - penalty. C'mon now... and that was just the start of it.

To me it seems like there are 2 teams out there that I've specifically noticed in the past 3 months that have adopted a "If you're not cheating.... you're not trying" kind of philosophy. One is the vancouver canucks where they've changed the way they play quite a bit from last year... I'm sure Adam Foote has had something to do with that but the number of 'pick plays' that they were able to get away with the last time we played them was staggering.

And their fans - wow what a bunch of morons -> ian code should be able to put his stick in MacKinnon's mid-section while he's trying to stick-handle on a POWER PLAY and because he did it with one hand AND Mack embellished that he was being hooked - it's NOT a penalty? By all means, IGNORE that ian code had his stick there in the first place - idiots.

The problem with this kind of philosophy is that it's only going to take you so far and your lack of skill and talent is going to come through in the end. When you're taking a ton of deserved penalties AND your PK is doing a great job, then you have a serious advantage - especially with the refs' tendency to even things up 'so it's fair' but when your PK is trash, then your team looks like a bunch of undisciplined morons and that's when fans of other teams start blaming the refs because their team would NEVER take penalties that they actually deserved. Never.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He came out to the top of the crease to challenge, but if he had come out any more, Smith could have just deked to his right and had a wide open net. He was inexcusably wide open in the most dangerous spot on the ice. If George is more aggressive there in cutting down the angles he leaves himself vulnerable. It was just a lose-lose situation for him there.
I wasn't talking about being more aggressive in coming out of his net. I think he was at a good position as far as distance out of his net. I was talking about his stance. His stance was extremely low and therefore opening up the entire top part of the net. A goalie has to make himself look bigger to force the player to shoot wide.

As for George...sorry but he has had lots of opportunities to rebound and he hasn't. He has been playing bad for 2-3 months so a couple of games lately that he was good does not wash out the very long stretch. He has had a lot of games below .900 the past few months and most of the ones above .900 he let in one or two goals in the first 10-12 shots. Eventually it starts to weigh on the guys to always play from behind right from the start. Again I'm sorry but I'm done with him. I much prefer taking my chances with the kid that has been doing really good. Yes he did let in two bad goals the game before but he buckle down and gave the team a very good chance to win. Nobody is asking the goalie to be perfect but George start to buckle down after 3 or 4 goals. That is unacceptable when it is happening over and over.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
You insinuate those who have defended George work at gas stations, as if that would make their opinions any less valid.
No, I insinuate that the "hockey experts" here are just normal people that work regular jobs. Unless you can prove to me that someone here makes their living in the NHL my point stands. And yeah, gas station is probably closer to reality than NHL scout/coach/talent evaluator.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
No, I insinuate that the "hockey experts" here are just normal people that work regular jobs. Unless you can prove to me that someone here makes their living in the NHL my point stands. And yeah, gas station is probably closer to reality than NHL scout/coach/talent evaluator.
I was a bathroom attendant for the Arizona Coyotes when they played at Gilla River Plaza.

Just kidding, but if I could land an NHL job, that would probably be the only one I'm qualified for.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Gila and it is pronounced "heee-luh". Sorry, I am from AZ and I couldn't let that slide. :sarcasm:
My apologies. :sarcasm:

I actually mis-typed that for realsies, it wasn't me being stupid or trying to make fun of the area. I used to travel to Scottsdale a couple times a year for work and no joke, got to see Wayne Gretzky's run his first day of practice at Gilla River. My biggest takeaway was how fat Brett Hull looked in real life. The fans though were super hospitable even knowing we were from out of town with no skin in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad