GDT: Penticton Young-Stars Tourney

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Klimovich with three beautiful passes in Sunday's game to set up scoring chances for his teammates, in addition to potting a goal himself.
Klimovich has so much talent. Had he came from a better development path in Russia or through Sweden/Finland i believe he would have been a lottery selection. players with his combination of hands size athleticism and shot are always highly coveted.

It's gonna be a very intriguing development year for him. He will still be one of the youngest players in the AHL and it's important to remember that when attempting to put a label on what he ultimately becomes.

Hoping that Colliton and the staff can work with him and he has the capacity mentally to iron out some of the brain farts and defensive issues enough so he can let his offensive game flourish and increase his role and ice time.

I'm always a little surprised that many of the fans on our boards are willing to dismiss him as a big time prospect after 1 season in the AHL at 18 when you look at where he came from culturally, hockey wise and the fact that a lot of the very best 18yr olds have a big adjustment in the KHL Liiga and SEL even.

Danilla the Thrilla is gonna be a thing in Abby this year

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
But what does a good defensive defenseman look like in one of these games? How does a stay at home guy stand out?
Not saying his window hasn't closed, but he plays a game that you really only notice when he makes a mistake.
What I'd be more interested in, as far as these games go, is whether or not he is skating well. Is he getting turnstiled by a bunch of nobodies? Is his positioning poor? Is he unable to clear the zone?
I didn't watch these games, but IMHO, Woo requires more of a close watch to see whether he's doing well or busting.
The nice part with Jet Woo is he certainly still sees himself as a NHL player down the road and has the physical ability and mental fortitude to back that up.

I'm not advocating that he's tracking anything like a top4 guy as i certainly think that train has left the station with his skills or lack of them but as you mention his game is the type that doesn't pop and has to be admired from a longer range of play to see whether his safe subtle smart decisions and defending pay off in aggregate not through production or plays that wow fans.

He's only played 70 professional games while battling a myriad of injuries and unable to get on track with his development. I wasn't a huge fan of the selection (wanted Ryan McLoed) certainly see much to be skeptical about and not a big upside but i wouldn't count out Jet Woo as a NHL prospect just yet

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Intrigued to follow Klimovich's development this year. Not just for his potential top 6 upside, but also a good test for our new player development team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Daniel Gee

Sep 2, 2019
twitter.com
Hey guys, I wrote game breakdowns for Arshdeep Bains in game one and Klimovich in game two. Lots of video analysis in both pieces.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Danila kinda reminded me of Pavol Demitra….. would that be a fair comparable or is that too high of a ceiling

I mean that ceiling is always going to be too high but that’s normal with every non-elite prospect. At this point, I have no idea what type of player Klimovich even is. He has all the tools but he’s so young and raw.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But what does a good defensive defenseman look like in one of these games? How does a stay at home guy stand out?
Not saying his window hasn't closed, but he plays a game that you really only notice when he makes a mistake.
What I'd be more interested in, as far as these games go, is whether or not he is skating well. Is he getting turnstiled by a bunch of nobodies? Is his positioning poor? Is he unable to clear the zone?
I didn't watch these games, but IMHO, Woo requires more of a close watch to see whether he's doing well or busting.
He should be excelling at what he’s supposed to be good at. If that’s defensive hockey it will be his positioning, active stick, good outlet passes, defending, etc. All the stuff that doesn’t show up on the scoresheet. Nothing on the hi-lite reels but be good in his own zone. Show some poise.

Fully expect him in the A this season but he needs a strong year in the A.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Team looks really good again, Only first 5 min we get hemmed in

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Klimovich has so much talent. Had he came from a better development path in Russia or through Sweden/Finland i believe he would have been a lottery selection. players with his combination of hands size athleticism and shot are always highly coveted.

It's gonna be a very intriguing development year for him. He will still be one of the youngest players in the AHL and it's important to remember that when attempting to put a label on what he ultimately becomes.

Hoping that Colliton and the staff can work with him and he has the capacity mentally to iron out some of the brain farts and defensive issues enough so he can let his offensive game flourish and increase his role and ice time.

I'm always a little surprised that many of the fans on our boards are willing to dismiss him as a big time prospect after 1 season in the AHL at 18 when you look at where he came from culturally, hockey wise and the fact that a lot of the very best 18yr olds have a big adjustment in the KHL Liiga and SEL even.

Danilla the Thrilla is gonna be a thing in Abby this year

He's really hard to evaluate because he should never have been in the AHL last season. And then, not surprisingly, playing at the wrong level his season went terribly and he looked worse at the end of the year than the beginning.

He clearly has tools. He's big, he can be fast in bursts, he can fire the puck. But his 3-zone game and puck management were horrific, even for his age. His play last year made Goldobin look like Patrice Bergeron and he was basically unplayable at ES in important games late in the year.

I go back and forth. Sometimes I think he's a brainless set of tools who will be another Fedor Fedorov. But then I also wonder how much differently I'd view him if he was playing against an appropriate level of competition.

We'll get a far clearer picture of him by the end of this year hopefully.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Loving our top 2 lines again
This has been karlssons best game so far, Klim looks dominant also, and aman and neilsson are playing really well.

Bains had a huge hit also

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
He's really hard to evaluate because he should never have been in the AHL last season. And then, not surprisingly, playing at the wrong level his season went terribly and he looked worse at the end of the year than the beginning.

He clearly has tools. He's big, he can be fast in bursts, he can fire the puck. But his 3-zone game and puck management were horrific, even for his age. His play last year made Goldobin look like Patrice Bergeron and he was basically unplayable at ES in important games late in the year.

I go back and forth. Sometimes I think he's a brainless set of tools who will be another Fedor Fedorov. But then I also wonder how much differently I'd view him if he was playing against an appropriate level of competition.

We'll get a far clearer picture of him by the end of this year hopefully.
What are your thoughts on him so far in Penticton?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Also gotta give a little love for woo, He has been the best defender so far tonight for either team.

He should be tho 2bh

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
1st period over.

Jet Woo looking a lot better today. Concur with LB on the rest so far.

Klimovich will need a lot of help in growing his game, but man the talent is there. The way he took the pass on the breakaway was pro level. Such a great skater. Hopefully Abby and Klim are up to task because he's a diamond in the rough.

Gill had a strong period too and nearly scored.

Kannok Leipert looking good again this game. 6' 200lb right shot defensemen. I know its a pie in the sky dream but man if he could hit on all cylinders going forward!

For Oilers, Holloway stands out a lot. He's gonna be a player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What are your thoughts on him so far in Penticton?

I got back last night from a camping/MTB trip so I've missed the first two games. At work now so currently missing this one. Hoping to catch up tonight.

That said, I try not to make a habit of ever reading too much into this tournament as the level of competition is so low.

Reactions: Vector and Hammman

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I got back last night from a camping/MTB trip so I've missed the first two games. At work now so currently missing this one. Hoping to catch up tonight.

That said, I try not to make a habit of ever reading too much into this tournament as the level of competition is so low.
True, but i think you might be surprised by the pace.

It’s been really high, shocking for a tourny like this.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Where did Aman even come from? Whats the story on him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad