GDT: Penticton Young-Stars Tourney

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He has turned it on, Best player on the ice tonight!
Sorry Klim!😅

Holloway has been a beast all tournament, every game he’s been the best player on the ice. He’s an NHLer, that is plainly obvious watching him.

I’ve liked Woo and Bains for you guys.

Glad to hockey back, this has been a good tournament. Much more speed and skill on display compared to years past.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Kannok Leipert with the Knock Down in a spirited bout, switched hands too!!! Tough cookie, just love the way he plays.

Last edited:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Karlsson showing some savvy scoring from a nearly impossible angle. Cheeky

Been the best forward for us for me.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What did you guys think of Van De Leest? He's even bigger apparently than I thought. 6'7" 238 pounds. I thought he was very physical in this game and sound defensively. 21 years old, captain of the Hitmen before getting traded this year.

Is a large lumbering man, but seems to play a safe structured game. Wonder what his future holds :badidea:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Overall probably better than you could have expected from this group going into this thing. Showed good work ethic but doubt there is much in the way of NHL material among our so called prospects playing in this event.

Silovs needs to work on his rebound control - spilled too many pucks right out in the crease. Lot of wild scrambles. Oilers scored some nice goals and one was a fluke but Silovs looked shakier in this one. Had some nights like this last year with Abby.

Defense was put to more of test today and some failed badly. Nygard and Anderson were both bad and really hurt the team in this one. Thought Woo and Schmiemann played well and Kannonk- Leipert was decent and was, overall, our best d-man throughout the tournament. Tournament points out just how bad are overall defensemen situation is.

Of the forwards

Neilson game fell off today. Like others he looked gassed at times and was a lot less central to the play.

Klimovich - all been said. Has some high level tools but way too prone trying to make high end plays when simpler ones would be more effective. Like others from dubious hockey backgrounds, he wasn't brought up in a pattern system like players from NA and other high end hockey countries are. Really playing high level hockey is most about just sticking to your system and following regular patterns in your forecheck, backcheck etc. Chances will come and its the high level players that can recognize and take advantage of those situations. Klimovich goes off the reservation too much and ends up free lancing. Is there something there ? Yes. Can he ever learn to use his skills better and play a structured game? Open to question.

Bains - got nothing none. Apparently doesn't have the speed or quickness to get enough separation to make plays. Looks to be one of the many who have some ability in slower hockey to use their smarts to create things. But at the next level you get negated because everything is happening way faster. Give him credit for trying to be physical but that's not going to get him anywhere but injured. I know many fans want him to succeed (and I think that is true of all us) but I see him having major problems in AHL this year. Had trouble here and the AHL is way better caliber than this hockey was.

Wouters - there is nothing about his game that suggests he has NHL potential. Kind of lower end Alec Friesen type player.

Karlsson - has some vet savvy and a good stick. Doubt he has the speed to challenge for a job with the Canucks. Does seem to have some scoring touch. Might look better in better company however.

Lockhart - showed some glimpses of talent but not near enough all round game to be seen as any else than an extreme long shot to play in the NHL. Kind of player that might be scorer at the AHL level since he has talent and can show it in slower hockey.

Gatcomb - poor skater from blue line in. No explosiveness. Might contribute some in Abby but most likely a lower end foot soldier even there.

None of the rest did near enough to inspire any interest in signing for even Abbotsford.

Thought the coaches got as much as could be expected from these players. Outside of Klimovich and maybe Karlsson our best prospects, as much as we have them, are playing elsewhere.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
What did you guys think of Van De Leest? He's even bigger apparently than I thought. 6'7" 238 pounds. I thought he was very physical in this game and sound defensively. 21 years old, captain of the Hitmen before getting traded this year.

Is a large lumbering man, but seems to play a safe structured game. Wonder what his future holds :badidea:

Bouncer at The Roxy

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Overall probably better than you could have expected from this group going into this thing. Showed good work ethic but doubt there is much in the way of NHL material among our so called prospects playing in this event.

Silovs needs to work on his rebound control - spilled too many pucks right out in the crease. Lot of wild scrambles. Oilers scored some nice goals and one was a fluke but Silovs looked shakier in this one. Had some nights like this last year with Abby.

Defense was put to more of test today and some failed badly. Nygard and Anderson were both bad and really hurt the team in this one. Thought Woo and Schmiemann played well and Kannonk- Leipert was decent and was, overall, our best d-man throughout the tournament. Tournament points out just how bad are overall defensemen situation is.

Of the forwards

Neilson game fell off today. Like others he looked gassed at times and was a lot less central to the play.

Klimovich - all been said. Has some high level tools but way too prone trying to make high end plays when simpler ones would be more effective. Like others from dubious hockey backgrounds, he wasn't brought up in a pattern system like players from NA and other high end hockey countries are. Really playing high level hockey is most about just sticking to your system and following regular patterns in your forecheck, backcheck etc. Chances will come and its the high level players that can recognize and take advantage of those situations. Klimovich goes off the reservation too much and ends up free lancing. Is there something there ? Yes. Can he ever learn to use his skills better and play a structured game? Open to question.

Bains - got nothing none. Apparently doesn't have the speed or quickness to get enough separation to make plays. Looks to be one of the many who have some ability in slower hockey to use their smarts to create things. But at the next level you get negated because everything is happening way faster. Give him credit for trying to be physical but that's not going to get him anywhere but injured. I know many fans want him to succeed (and I think that is true of all us) but I see him having major problems in AHL this year. Had trouble here and the AHL is way better caliber than this hockey was.

Wouters - there is nothing about his game that suggests he has NHL potential. Kind of lower end Alec Friesen type player.

Karlsson - has some vet savvy and a good stick. Doubt he has the speed to challenge for a job with the Canucks. Does seem to have some scoring touch. Might look better in better company however.

Lockhart - showed some glimpses of talent but not near enough all round game to be seen as any else than an extreme long shot to play in the NHL. Kind of player that might be scorer at the AHL level since he has talent and can show it in slower hockey.

Gatcomb - poor skater from blue line in. No explosiveness. Might contribute some in Abby but most likely a lower end foot soldier even there.

None of the rest did near enough to inspire any interest in signing for even Abbotsford.

Thought the coaches got as much as could be expected from these players. Outside of Klimovich and maybe Karlsson our best prospects, as much as we have them, are playing elsewhere.
Damn orca lol
I agree with most of what you say, but I still feel it’s a bit hard, there were flashes and dashes for certain players, and that’s better than I thought would happen going into this tournament

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
I was able to watch this one, and followed the whole "tournament" closely.

Silovs - I think his progress since the draft is impressive, given he hasn't played much. I think that the two starts in this series are an indication he's going to get more starts this year than in the past two years combined. He's ahead of Dipietro in the chart IMO. Seems like a coachable kid. Silovs looks quite raw still, and it is early to say, but he may be on track to see starts in the NHL someday.

Klimovich - this kid is fun to watch and he made some nice plays again today. Structure and consistency are lacking, in a big way. He has a long way to go. As many have said, Belarus to the A is a massive jump, but he has made the landing. By the end of this season in Abby we should have a better Idea of his floor and ceiling.

Karlsson - Well, he can finish. I think he showed enough to really, justifiably belong at the big camp, but I am not sure he is an NHL regular down the road. Might have a nice season in Abby. Will be interested to see what he can do in a more structured game.

Neilson - Plays with passion. Goes to wherever he needs to. Decent skating. Should be a strong player at the AHL level and may carve a niche in the NHL someday.

Woo - Had a good game. Will need to have strong showing in camp and season in Abby to stay on the radar. Make or break time for this kid.

Schmiemann - Looked good in this game. No errors that I can recall. Hopeful for a good rookie pro year in Abby from him.

There is a big drop off after the players above IMO, though some may carve out productive seasons in the minors or in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad