Post-Game Talk: Pens win vs Yotes: Carter - the hero we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
rakell should have a short window to try to get his season on track for no reason other than we really need that to happen. if it doesn’t he should be on the third line

Reactions: orby

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It's too bad Carter is so damned old now because he's exactly what pp1 could use. If he were still capable of it I'd gladly swap him for Jake and let him just sit in front and tip in Karlsson/Malkin bombs all day.

Hell pp1 has been so bad (jake goal tonight not withstanding) that that still might be worth a try.

Carter is bad as hell at 5v5 but he's still got the ability to tip pucks in and be good in front of the net.
I think Carter is worth a shot on PP1. Let him take the draws and stand in front of the net for 45 seconds or so. Not like he will make it worse.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
So when is the "We beat ARI parade?"

I look at every win now as delaying the rebuild, prolonging Sully, and lessoning the future quality of players. I'd also like to see old man Crosby/Malkin play with a rookie superstar right before retiring like Lemieux + Crosby.

4 wins out of past 13 games.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yea he’s sucked lately too but at least we’ve seen him be good this year.
But for his size, he's no better than the other meh options. Zohorna is okay as the 3rd wheel if you got nothing better. Plus, when the league is just starting up guys will get better results, but once everyone is galvanized the true pawns shine through.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
So when is the "We beat ARI parade?"

I look at every win now as delaying the rebuild, prolonging Sully, and lessoning the future quality of players. I'd also like to see old man Crosby/Malkin play with a rookie superstar right before retiring like Lemieux + Crosby.

4 wins out of past 13 games.
Delaying firing the coach? Ok, I get that. Delaying the rebuild? It's already been delayed. Best to forget about it for a couple years.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Incorrect. The vast majority of his production in his first stint in Pittsburgh came when he was with Crosby, Hornqvist, Rust or Guentzel.

Even in Washington, his most common teammates were Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Eller, Backstrom, Strome, Wilson and Oshie.

Yes top 6 center Lars Eller. In 21-22 he had 43 pts. Look at the spread of where he go points. Eller number 2. Hathaway number 4. Dowd number 6.

Sheary is literally the epitome of a guy you can move up and down while still getting production.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 2.01.17 PM.png

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's astonishing how rarely they try this kind of pass from behind the net on the PP. It's like they think it's too obvious to work, even though most of their other moves tend to be just as obvious but far less likely to lead to a goal.

To me the goal wasn't because it came from "behind the net". It was the fact that Jake reversed his course abruptly and flashed open. That is the heart of any PP- to jump in the open lanes before they get closed down.

And why do shooting/passing lanes get closed down so easily against the Pens? Because they stay stationary. It's the easiest PP to defend on earth. Give me 5 Danton Heinens and I'll outscore this collection of stationary All Stars all damn season long

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Puustinen is fine 5v5. Put him with Sid, they go all offense anyways. Rakell can play line 3.

Jake - Sid - Puustinen
Smith - Geno - Rust
Doc - Eller - Rakell
Neio - Accari - Zohorna

I don't see what Puustinen offers on that 1st line at all. They don't need a pure finisher on that line.

The 1st line should be Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell and the 2nd line should be Smith-Malkin-Rust. Have Puustinen on L3 or L4 but shelter him at 5v5.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don't see what Puustinen offers on that 1st line at all. They don't need a pure finisher on that line.

The 1st line should be Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell and the 2nd line should be Smith-Malkin-Rust. Have Puustinen on L3 or L4 but shelter him at 5v5.

Puustinen isn’t a pure finisher. He’s a smart player tho and they looked fine in preseason together. I think rakell would give a little more besides offense on the third line

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Carter is worth a shot on PP1. Let him take the draws and stand in front of the net for 45 seconds or so. Not like he will make it worse.
I think the big problem with Carter would be he'd be absolutely awful at helping the team get entries lol.

But PP1 is already terrible at that so hard to imagine Carter making it a whole lot worse

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Puusy's got a long way to go to prove that this is anything more than just the call up adrenaline bump that often happens. But IF he were to stick, I'd be curious about this:

First, someone mentioned Smith being a lot better off the rush. That seems to make sense to me, so what about bumping him to L3? In theory, he'll have a lot more opportunities for rush chances getting 70% D-zone starts as opposed to vice-versa. Plus it gives L3 a legit offensive presence and he's good enough defensively he's not going to get chewed up.

That means Rakell would probably have to bump to LW in the top 6. Sid and Jake are inseparable for whatever reason, so he's with Malkin.

Then, to get the most balance possible in the top 6, put Puusy with Sid-Jake and Rust with Rakell-Malkin.

Guentzel - Crosby - Puusy
Rakell - Malkin - Rust
Smith - Eller - Z
DOC - Acciari - Nieto/Carter/Hino

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think the big problem with Carter would be he'd be absolutely awful at helping the team get entries lol.

But PP1 is already terrible at that so hard to imagine Carter making it a whole lot worse
He could benefit by winning the draws in the offensive zone and just skating out to the blueline if the puck goes out of the zone.

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad