Is Sid no longer awesome?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Small nitpick but why doesn't Sully ever put Geno out there in empty net situations to help him get some gimme points for increased confidence? Like why can't he just put him on the wing with Sid and sit Guentzel or Rust. It's not like either of those 2 are defensive dynamos
GCR had 12 ENG's between them last season. 4 each.
In terms of securing the game it's the best option. I also think you're totally underselling Jake defensively.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
McDavid not being able to play with players like Sid and Bergeron at the Olympics is a big missed opportunity for him. Could have been an opportunity for him to learn from Sid and Bergeron on how to play winning hockey...sort of like what happened to Lemieux at the 87 Canada Cup. Lemieux himself said that playing and observing Gretzky everyday is what took his career to the next level.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Small nitpick but why doesn't Sully ever put Geno out there in empty net situations to help him get some gimme points for increased confidence? Like why can't he just put him on the wing with Sid and sit Guentzel or Rust. It's not like either of those 2 are defensive dynamos
geno would just pass it.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

They are objectively better (2GA/60min) than Geno (3GA/60min). This is the one thing that Sully has right.

Reactions: Dominance

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
their homer broadcast team was hysterical…talking about how CBJ took the Pens to the woodshed and should have won this game except for a lucky break at the end for the Pens…

Homer's going to home.

Jackets gave us the third.

Hit our goalie.

Hit dumo from behind

Throw the puck over the ice.

Hard to win a game when you do this in last 10 minutes of a game.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nice rare game of balanced forward use. Sid only played 12 minutes at 5v5. Danton Heinen was the leader there weirdly. Shame his goalscoring is currently cursed, although I think it'll come good.

Looked like Matheson-Marino and Pettersson-Ruhwedel all though the last two periods. Didn't work quite as well as I wanted. Marino definitely needs to simplify his game right now although I thought he won a few good physical battles behind the net.

Didn't love Geno's game. No blame given how long his layoff was, just wish he hadn't dummied us into thinking there was no rust with a pretty much perfect game on the first back.

Don't like to bag on a guy first game back but ZAR did nothing to dispel the idea maybe his place should just be given to Boyle/Simon/Zohorna

Finally, obvious statements about Sid, Jarry, and DeSmith.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
When the trade first happened I wasn't the happiest.

I then did some stat digging.

Noticed how many Even Strength points he had compared to the other defensemen.

Decided it was a good trade afterwards.
Just took some time.

Definitely. I mean when you watch Matheson and compare him to other Dman you'll be hard pressed to find many better in transition.

His issue is the defensive zone being his wild card. But the upside is showing more everyday.

I miss Hornqvist but it was a stellar trade and the right time for him to go.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Only saw the end of second and the third. Awesome to have Sid burn Columbus down!

ZAR didn’t get a shift in the third. I assume he’s injured again. Which makes us better. Sorry, ZAR.

Geno’s line was dangerous - and solid - with Heinen and Erod. Interesting.

Jarry closing shop. You imagine Sully cannot argue any clearer that a new backup is wanted.

Matheson looked great.

On to a long home stretch with our sights set on 2nd place in the division. Not too bad all things considered…

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
their homer broadcast team was hysterical…talking about how CBJ took the Pens to the woodshed and should have won this game except for a lucky break at the end for the Pens…
Haha my god, yes. They stopped short of calling anything a dive but were emphatic about the offsides and over the glass (“those were DEFINITELY the right calls”) as if to invalidate every other call the pens got.

also with like 10 minutes left they had a short highlights package prepared about how the Jackets were “containing” Sid all night, which was nothing more than him misplacing a few passes and getting checked once. This after the man already hung a goal and assist on them. And of course in the next 8 minutes he proceeds to bury them for good. Amazing “containment” guys.

It was blatant homerism, but a weird one, not one eyed exactly but like desperate to big up Peeke, Jenner, anyone else they could to find silver linings, and imply that had it not been for a few bad breaks the Jackets would have had a Stanley Cup dynasty in the making tonight

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I thought we played a great game, save some rough moments. Really settled down when Jarry came in.

Pretty much have same observations as everyone else.

Will say Kapanen has been pretty uninspiring lately.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Haha my god, yes. They stopped short of calling anything a dive but were emphatic about the offsides and over the glass (“those were DEFINITELY the right calls”) as if to invalidate every other call the pens got.

also with like 10 minutes left they had a short highlights package prepared about how the Jackets were “containing” Sid all night, which was nothing more than him misplacing a few passes and getting checked once. This after the man already hung a goal and assist on them. And of course in the next 8 minutes he proceeds to bury them for good. Amazing “containment” guys.

It was blatant homerism, but a weird one, not one eyed exactly but like desperate to big up Peeke, Jenner, anyone else they could to find silver linings, and imply that had it not been for a few bad breaks the Jackets would have had a Stanley Cup dynasty in the making tonight

The organization and fan base is obsessed with us. They view us as their biggest rival despite the fact they never beat us, have never accomplished anything, and they are about 20th on our list.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I notice that he often starts out games skating like a maniac, and then a few things will go wrong and he just starts forcing the puck to Geno. It usually goes downhill from there and he ends up playing on different line to end the game.

He’s one guy I could definitely see getting dealt before the deadline to free up space and bring back some help.

Reactions: canadianguy77

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
"i dont feel like the blue jackets lost tonight. It was just an incredible sequence of events"

This extends to the news media asking players questions , too. It's weird. Really weird. You can tell they've never won anything.

Two reporters have asked a player and the CBJ coach if they thought the penalty for batting a puck over the glass was BS and shouldn't have been a penalty. What?

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Praise be for Jarry man.

jerry-thanks.gif

Where would this team be right now without him considering how much Desmith has shat himself this year.

Nice to see Sid be rewarded with some goals going in recently, am continuously amazed by his uncanny talent in deflecting pucks from odd angles into the net. Might be the best ever at that specific skill.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I notice that he often starts out games skating like a maniac, and then a few things will go wrong and he just starts forcing the puck to Geno. It usually goes downhill from there and he ends up playing on different line to end the game.

I really liked his first period. Had some dominant shifts. Didn't notice him much in the offensive zone bar that post on the power play.

Reactions: canadianguy77

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Just like most of our forwards who struggle, he NEEDS TO GO TO THE NET. His fast circles around the offensive zone generate nothing because he can't stick handle, or pass, or shoot. He is turning in to a hairier Zucker.

images
cut.jpg

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That was vintage Sid, beat you with many weapons, if Jake is not out of form and Rust still coming back, he would be seting everything up on fire, even last night with that awful appearance he was still good..
Jarry will play 70 games this season...
Geno's line with ERod looked very very good, maybe it was just a boost of adrenalin for ERod but I like it...
Bluegs line I guess got spent last few games when they carried this team...
Carter is still MIA but I have feeling he will show up at some point
we got that lucky GWG but we missed to clean breakaways and open net..so thats it

This was good decent win

Jarry playing 70 games this season means we’ll be ousted in the first round again…no team has won the Cup going on a run with a goalie who has played that much..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad