Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Rangers | win | The win we needed, not the win deserved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really get all the POJ hype from the fanboys, but that's the nature of fanboys.

He's often OK in the O-zone, but has been a deer in the headlights in the D-zone most of the time in pretty much every game. If you watch him in his own end he looks lost A LOT and it wasn't only tonight. No, it's not just because of being paired out there with Chad Vanilla some of the time. He may eventually learn to think the game a little faster at both ends, which will be necessary for him to get the same kind of premature bridge contract we often hand out to young D (Petts, Marino) before they've truly earned it.

I was saying they should waive POJ to make room for Smith, so I'm certainly no fanboy.

He's been terrific this year. He may not be someone you want in any higher of a role than a #4D, but he has been very good this year.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
POJ is playing up and he is a little over matched. But he has improved and his skating is a plus. But the NHL for rookies is a grind and the pace and skill and size is just a learning experience. Pens move Dumo as they should and go get a physical LD and then he is the third pairing LD.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't really get all the POJ hype from the fanboys, but that's the nature of fanboys.

He's often OK in the O-zone, but has been a deer in the headlights in the D-zone most of the time in pretty much every game. If you watch him in his own end he looks lost A LOT and it wasn't only tonight. No, it's not just because of being paired out there with Chad Vanilla some of the time. He may eventually learn to think the game a little faster at both ends, which will be necessary for him to get the same kind of premature bridge contract we often hand out to young D (Petts, Marino) before they've truly earned it.
You'll find very few goals against that were POJ's fault this year, relative to the rest of the D. We have 23 goals for and 13 against when he's on the ice at ES.
That's why there's hype. It's a significant step forward for him.

It's easy to knock him after a bad night but that's hardly been the norm this season through 32 games. If anything Rutta's been worse than him lately imo. Maybe not tonight, but yeah.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I was saying they should waive POJ to make room for Smith, so I'm certainly no fanboy.

He's been terrific this year. He may not be someone you want in any higher of a role than a #4D, but he has been very good this year.

POJ is a lot like what Smith would be expected to be if Smith were here instead of having the misfortune of being waiver-exempt: decent skater and some offensive skill, but hold your breath when the puck is in the D-end.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Beating a NY team?

theoffice-i-like-it.gif

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Surprised they won after giving up the first goal in the first three and a half seconds. LOL but they persevered on and surprisingly somehow won this game. Let's see how we do Thursday against the canes, when we squander the game in Carolina couple nights back.
I actually said to myself when Rakell had that chance in the first 10 seconds if the penguins score here they'll lose. Then the rangers scored seconds later and I felt that we would win bc of it lol.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Surprised they're not winning every game 8-0 because they have a generational stretch passer in Marino.

I honestly don't think the Devils are that good. Their defense is awesome, but their forward group is really poorly built and their goaltending sucks.

People made fun of Spiro Agnew when he said that "you can't win with 6 Kris Letangs on defense", but he's kinda right in that you need to have a well balanced roster construction. When the Penguins ran with Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary, it had massive issues because both Sheary and Guentzel had similar issues and those similar issues intensified by them playing together.
i don't wanna be a hater, but this feels like good ole regression to the mean
Sure. They weren't going to play at an 800 winning percentage all season or whatever.

But they've lead the league in 5v5 xgoals like the entire year so far, and even during this current stretch they're still regularly outplaying their opponents and just coming out on the wrong end of it. Like tonight they out shot Carolina 38 to 20 and lost 4-1 lol.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I dont think Rutta had a great game. Had that panic clear attempt late in the third that was easily picked off and led to a scoring chance against. There was some miscommunication w/ Dumo off the face off in the 1st period that led to Vesey ringing one off the inside of the bar and out.

Also POJ got dangled hard by Upper St. Clair's finest

1671595361556.png

1671595409870.png

1671595448284.png

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
McGinn, Zucker, Blueger, Rakell had excellent games.

That might have been the least effort Sid has ever put into a 2 point game.

POJ was out to lunch tonight in the D zone.

Jarry was excellent after the first goal. He was jobbed out of the 3 starts tonight.

I’m 5-0-2 at PPG this year as a first time season ticket holder (half season).

Wins Against:
Tampa
Vegas
St. Louis
Dallas
New York

OT Losses Against:
Boston
Carolina

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
McGinn, Zucker, Blueger, Rakell had excellent games.

That might have been the least effort Sid has ever put into a 2 point game.

POJ was out to lunch tonight in the D zone.

Jarry was excellent after the first goal. He was jobbed out of the 3 starts tonight.

I’m 5-0-2 at PPG this year as a first time season ticket holder (half season).

Wins Against:
Tampa
Vegas
St. Louis
Dallas
New York

OT Losses Against:
Boston
Carolina

Blessed season ticket holder deliver us from the grasp of favorite coach’s fan

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
There's a user here that has destroyed the reputation of STH's profoundly. He spammed about his status as a STH 1000x, and has made it beyond clear how he believes the rest of us are idiotic peons by comparison.
Just throwing that out there in case you get any heat when bringing it up.
Ok thanks, not trying to do that at all. Just really excited after 30 years as a hockey/Pens’ fan to have finally moved to Pittsburgh and catch some games before Sid and Geno retire. Thought I’d share my lucky streak with everyone!

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Ok thanks, not trying to do that at all. Just really excited after 30 years as a hockey/Pens’ fan to have finally moved to Pittsburgh and catch some games before Sid and Geno retire. Thought I’d share my lucky streak with everyone!
I say it mostly in jest. He's more a meme than anything at this point.

Stop by more often man. We need fresh voices here.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Did Malkin's line play against Panarin's line lot in the third? Interesting to see

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Was Archibald hurt?

You'll find very few goals against that were POJ's fault this year, relative to the rest of the D. We have 23 goals for and 13 against when he's on the ice at ES.
That's why there's hype. It's a significant step forward for him.

It's easy to knock him after a bad night but that's hardly been the norm this season through 32 games. If anything Rutta's been worse than him lately imo. Maybe not tonight, but yeah.
Dumoulin effect.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I like to, and I read often. Sometimes things get a little intense here, and after all of the success this team has had, I’m just trying to enjoy the games!
Yeah that's why we need new people chipping in more, to alleviate that tension. It keeps discussions more focused, because it won't just be people who've spent too much time together here going at each other over old nonsense. The new people tend to get much more respect, because they haven't burned any bridges and people are more receptive to them.

Would say adding like 20 regulars here or something would do wonders for this place.

I totally understand if you don't want the stress though.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
this seems so wrong after watching the game

meh the fact he gets the puck on net on the pp makes him at least an =
The one that sticks out to me tonight is McGinn- watching him, he seemed to have a positive impact and was very noticeable on the forecheck and transition. He just did all the little things right tonight. So I’m surprised at his net negative on the chart.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
POJ is a lot like what Smith would be expected to be if Smith were here instead of having the misfortune of being waiver-exempt: decent skater and some offensive skill, but hold your breath when the puck is in the D-end.

POJ is a 23 yr old rookie defensemen and playing fine.

He is on pace for 30+ pts and to be a plus +30. He has 48 career NHL games and has progressed all year. Is he some top pairing dmen no. But he has been extremely solid and a pleasant surprise. He has held his own and then some. He is much better in the dzone then you are giving him credit for. He also is fast. enough to make up for mistakes.

The one that sticks out to me tonight is McGinn- watching him, he seemed to have a positive impact and was very noticeable on the forecheck and transition. He just did all the little things right tonight. So I’m surprised at his net negative on the chart.

Kap was also pretty good on the forecheck meanwhile sids line sucked outside of the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad