Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Rangers | loss | Blowout loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
What else is Sullivan going to say?
My problem with it isn’t the quote in the tweet. That’s just typical coach speak to the media. He isn’t gonna say “yeah, I agree. They suck.” But it’s that he then went on and gave a “long, passionate defense.”

This is bordering on delusional. What stretch of 20 games is he even talking about?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Ok, forget the L.A,, Edmonton and this latest NYR blowouts. New strategy! We are 3.5 games behind. We need to make it up and get that sweet 22nd position, so Uncle Gary can help us out with Connor. We’re chasing Ottawa for 22nd place in the league. Man do we need to lose to them on Monday. Remember the L.A., Edmonton and this latest NYR blowouts? Play like that! Go team!

Reactions: canadianguy77

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
McCann was moved because our coach thought he was a bottom six forward.

At this point, he's like an express elevator operator taking us straight to hell. There are players I cannot wait to get rid of because they've failed over and over, but we will never, ever know if they could've actually succeeded here under a different system, in a different role, being treated and guided differently, etc. So since he is never going to leave, the only answer is to kick them out and get more fresh faces in the summer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So it's still Hextall's fault that Sullivan refuses to scratch Carter or Dumoulin and overplays them? Or that it's Hextall's fault the team continuously looks ill-prepared to play 60 minutes? Is that the gist of the article?

Sullivan hasn’t won 400 games, and doesn’t own two Stanley Cup rings, because he’s ignorant. He knows that part of a coach’s job is to protect players in adverse circumstances.

These are hard times for the Penguins.

A reasonable person can disagree with his usage of Carter and Dumoulin, or his attempt to rehabilitate (not physically) Jarry during a stretch when the Penguins can’t afford to give away points.

But Sullivan isn’t going to throw his players under the bus. Which means deflection, denial and disagreement with members of the media and maybe even other people in his organization.

Thing is, what are his other options, anyway?

He didn’t construct this deeply flawed roster. He was handed only six high-end forwards, two dependable defensemen, and a goalie tandem to which only one general manager would have entrusted possibly the last elite combined season from Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkinand Kris Letang.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
My problem with it isn’t the quote in the tweet. That’s just typical coach speak to the media. He isn’t gonna say “yeah, I agree. They suck.” But it’s that he then went on and gave a “long, passionate defense.”

This is bordering on delusional. What stretch of 20 games is he even talking about?

Grade A bullshitter

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

One of these coaches has won a playoff series since 17-18. Can you guess who?

The guy with a younger roster, who's team cheats the salary cap to keep that team/core together, and can do so for another year before crunch time. A small sample size stretch compared to what Sully has had to deal with is just that, not remotely the same. They sit in a far more comfortable position.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yes.

The guy with a younger roster, who's team cheats the salary cap to keep that team/core together, and can do so for another year before crunch time. A small sample size stretch compared to what Sully has had to deal with is just that, not remotely the same. They sit in a far more comfortable position.

Boohoo.

Reactions: vodeni

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Is Rust really moveable? Doesn't he have an NMC for two more years?
Make a deal with one of the Cali teams or Florida teams. Bryan Rust doesn’t strike me as someone who needs to win so I doubt he really cares if he’s sent to a rebuilding team. Hell, if he sticks around here he’s going to be on a rebuilding team anyway.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
And let's not kid ourselves... our goal tending is bad but it's rarely just the GT.

As most people have said, when 1/2 this team plays consistenly plays bad on any given night.... it's the coaching.

Sully is done.
Hextall has no idea what's he's doing.

View attachment 671815
Ron Hexed It All
Sulliesitall

Don't mind me, I'm sleep deprived af currently and waiting for my gummy to kick in :thumbu:

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Man... so we could not afford McCann but Granlund is a great deal... the coaching and GM are just crazy bad...l

what a f***ing death spiral....
He gave McCann like 4 games with Sid lol. I don’t even remember if he got any time with Geno. But he had zero issues letting Dom Simon or Zach Aston Reese get 20 game stints on the first line. That guy who wasn’t good enough for our top 6 is basically a 40 goal scorer now lol.

This coach has been an imbecile for a while now, and I think most of it comes from his inability to judge the talent on his roster. The strange thing is he used to have it. The guys he brought up with him from WBS mostly worked out at this level. But something happened to him after those first few years and now it’s like he doesn’t even understand what he’s watching. Maybe he gets too attached to certain guys and can’t separate his personal/business relationships? I dunno, but he has to go because at the bare minimum, your head coach should be able to ascertain the abilities and potential of the players on his team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Who is saying we need to bench Sid, Malkin or Letang?

We need to bench Carter and Dumoulin..

Again, because Sully is right, what does that fix the rest who are just as much to blame. Taking those two out isn't exactly gonna make things better when the rest are making big mistakes, too.

The guy who needs benched is Rust. Guys who are looking good but bring almost nothing is O'Connor if he's gonna patrol the 3rd line. There's only so much you can do. Then tack on they are missing guys in game. Down to 4 D-men last game while already without Kulikov and Petry this game, Petts getting hurt.

I don't know, it's easy to say when you don't deep dive into what's going on. It's not like they are force feeding Carter 16/17 minutes here. Dumo got near 20 due to lack there of. Even Friedman got 20:00.

This was as a automatic loss as they come.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What is he talking about needing Carter for face offs to gain the blue line? Is he talking about our blue line? Because that’s obviously not happening and the proof is in how many times he gets scored on. Or is he talking about the other teams blueline? Because that’s not happening either. I think he lies a lot to the media.

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What is he talking about needing Carter for face offs to gain the blue line? Is he talking about our blue line? Because that’s obviously not happening and the proof is in how many times he gets scored on. Or is he talking about the other teams blueline? Because that’s not happening either. I think he lies a lot to the media.

I'm pretty sure it's about him winning faceoffs and the rest not being able to get to skate it out or get the puck over our blueline.

When you say "he gets scored on" you mean the rest as well? Because, a lot of the time it's not him making those mistakes. It's like stat watching and not really looking at what happen.

This is people making up their minds and it doesn't matter how, he was just on the ice when it happens kind of thing.

Really, I've never seen so many players not being able to handle the puck or make the plays to get it out of our zone. It's that bad, and I know people have to see it. It's not even that every once in awhile Benny Hill show, it's every game/episode bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad