Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Nucks | win | Shake 'n Bake with Zuck and Geno

Who should be sent down when Petry is healthy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I was there in person and yeah, we were dominating much of the game…we found the one team who is worse at winning puck battles and gives more space in their D zone to opposing players than the Pens do lol….
True...but we also can't forget what happened the last time these two teams played...it was the Canucks 2nd win of the season after getting their first win against Seattle the night before. The Pens lost 5-1. So this game easily could have gotten away from the Pens, but it didn't...I mean it really tried to, but thankfully not this time.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What was the building like when it was 3-0 just like that?
It gotta a little quiet and people were yelling for CDS’s head…it was quite clear the Pens had looked pretty good but CDS couldnt stop anything…it was a pretty raucous crowd last night lol

True...but we also can't forget what happened the last time these two teams played...it was the Canucks 2nd win of the season after getting their first win against Seattle the night before. The Pens lost 5-1. So this game easily could have gotten away from the Pens, but it didn't...I mean it really tried to, but thankfully not this time.
Geno and Tokarski wouldnt let it lol

Reactions: Night Shift

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That is very often not untrue!

But what is the solution here in Pittsburgh? I mean besides change the system because we aren't doing that because Sullivan is working-retired.
if you can't change the system, change the players, or change the deployment of players, or convince them not to float but hustle back there is no way around...not sure why can't they change the system either,

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Pens blown leads

Bruins
Buffalo
Habs
Carolina x 2
Wings

Yeah maybe not as much but still more than they should have.
I was wrong, the Canucks only have eight blown multi-goal leads so far this season.

Gumti4y.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was wrong, the Canucks only have eight blown multi-goal leads so far this season.

Gumti4y.jpg
I am shocked.

With the worst defense in the league? I thought Allvin prepared the team for this?!

A blown lead is a blown lead. To me if it's 1 or 3, it's a lead and it was blown in the third. Penguins have their fair share as well. I'd like to find an overall by team stat on that.

Really? I tuned in when the game was already 3-1, but from that point until the Pens made it 5-3, the Pens were completely dominating...except when they decided to not skate after a puck on a PP, but Tokarski saved himself and the team there. Just look at the shots/shot attempts after the 2nd period. The Pens had as many shots as the Canucks had attempts. If that's not dominating the play, what is?

I don't know maybe that even strength they were out scored 4-3. That the Penguins needed special teams to beat one of the worst teams in the league and in the end just barely eeked by. Dominating the play at times in the game is nice, but against one of the worst teams in the league you want to see a better effort.

Last edited:

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
That was a broad statement, the Flyers were not always that way, think from the time this era started.

The work is, there's none to be had, he's had 8 games over 3 playoffs.

Foolish is to worry about money or term, there's clearly no better option. To sabotage a team because you are worried about something out of anyone's control and does nothing to hamper this teams future is just an overreaction.

And. Yes. With Tokarski at the helm, the Pens will be even worse than the Flyers. They are just about that without him at the helm.
The insinuation that we turn into the Flyers unless we lock down Jarry is bizarre. TJ is definitely not the bulwark you think he is (yes, i had to look that word up).

I don't think his impact on the Pens is as big as you think it is. We'll probably be fine with him, and probably be fine without him. Excluding the negotiation argument (which is still the strongest reason to wait until offseason), Jarry has yet to prove himself a franchise goalie - yet at least. To say playoffs are moot is silly man. That's the only thing that matters for this franchise for the next 4 years.

Maybe Jarry has a monster postseason this year, like i said - I hope he does! But also, maybe he pulls his groin in the first week of April. It wouldn't be uncharacteristic.

For all this talk of "you don't wan't to give Jarry a chance!" and then reading your last sentence about Tokarski... man. Using your own argument - dude has played one game in the NHL (after dominating in WBS all year) and you are already ready to say he's not the answer.

None of us have any idea what happens in the second half of the season. I for one am hoping, on this discourse alone, that Tokarski goes on a f***ing tear. That's the kind of fresh momentum this team needs right now.

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I want to give Jarry a chance (It's not like we can trade him right now anyway and get a good return). I just don't see what's the rush to give him a long term contract before he shows up in the playoffs at least once.
The push is that fans know Hextall is “patient” aka lazy , and the extension is all but guaranteed. We need to convince ourselves it’s the right decision to extend him now knowing this.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just think this is an area which needs an overhaul if you want to take some of the stale out. This goaltending tandem (also both made of glass) can't get it done in the postseason either the past 4 years either. As much as its fun to pin the whole thing on Sullivan, he's not going anywhere soon.
Who brought back the same two goalies that can’t get it done? You can’t blame sully here.

Sully and JR can’t get all of the criticism for everything while sleepy sleeps.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Who brought back the same two goalies that can’t get it done? You can’t blame sully here.

Sully and JR can’t get all of the criticism for everything while sleepy sleeps.

If Hextall brings them both back next year then sure. Unless we can get Jarry to sign an extension and include him in a deal for our next #1 then I'm ok with that option.

This season I give Hextall the benefit of doubt of giving Jarry one more chance in a contract year. So far it isn't shaping up (injured again) I'm getting the sense it's going to be more of the same outcome. If I'm right Hopefully Hextall sees that too.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I am shocked.

With the worst defense in the league? I thought Allvin prepared the team for this?!

A blown lead is a blown lead. To me if it's 1 or 3, it's a lead and it was blown in the third. Penguins have their fair share as well. I'd like to find an overall by team stat on that.

I don't know maybe that even strength they were out scored 4-3. That the Penguins needed special teams to beat one of the worst teams in the league and in the end just barely eeked by. Dominating the play at times in the game is nice, but against one of the worst teams in the league you want to see a better effort.
Again once the score was 3-0 until it was 5-3 the Pens dominated the game. Just because DeSmith was leaky, and POJ and Petts were struggling doesn't mean the team was outplayed. Again isn't winning 5-4 better than the previous loss of 5-1? I know some people are all doom and gloom even when the team plays well after an emotionally draining few days. At the end of the game does it matter what the even strength score is or what the final score is?

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Again once the score was 3-0 until it was 5-3 the Pens dominated the game. Just because DeSmith was leaky, and POJ and Petts were struggling doesn't mean the team was outplayed. Again isn't winning 5-4 better than the previous loss of 5-1? I know some people are all doom and gloom even when the team plays well after an emotionally draining few days. At the end of the game does it matter what the even strength score is or what the final score is?

The losing streak fresh in our minds it was off putting to see Vancouver jump out like that in the moment.

Reactions: RSPens and vodeni

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If Hextall brings them both back next year then sure. Unless we can get Jarry to sign an extension and include him in a deal for our next #1 then I'm ok with that option.

This season I give Hextall the benefit of doubt of giving Jarry one more chance in a contract year. So far it isn't shaping up (injured again) I'm getting the sense it's going to be more of the same outcome. If I'm right Hopefully Hextall sees that too.
It's just strange how the guy had a crash and burn playoff outing and said he wanted to prove he could do it and be the guy etc etc etc...
.... and that was years ago! Still hasn't yet proved diddle. Convenient injuries for this guy.
Not saying he is, (or isn't), but.... there are players that fake it to make it out there.... I wonder if he's one....

Reactions: Night Shift

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The insinuation that we turn into the Flyers unless we lock down Jarry is bizarre. TJ is definitely not the bulwark you think he is (yes, i had to look that word up).

I don't think his impact on the Pens is as big as you think it is. We'll probably be fine with him, and probably be fine without him. Excluding the negotiation argument (which is still the strongest reason to wait until offseason), Jarry has yet to prove himself a franchise goalie - yet at least. To say playoffs are moot is silly man. That's the only thing that matters for this franchise for the next 4 years.

Maybe Jarry has a monster postseason this year, like i said - I hope he does! But also, maybe he pulls his groin in the first week of April. It wouldn't be uncharacteristic.

For all this talk of "you don't wan't to give Jarry a chance!" and then reading your last sentence about Tokarski... man. Using your own argument - dude has played one game in the NHL (after dominating in WBS all year) and you are already ready to say he's not the answer.

None of us have any idea what happens in the second half of the season. I for one am hoping, on this discourse alone, that Tokarski goes on a f***ing tear. That's the kind of fresh momentum this team needs right now.

Finding good goalies who can play the puck well is not an easy task. It's been some time the Pens had one due to Fleury being here so long. It certainly can be done without one, but that puts much more pressure and punishment on the defense. His impact is a lot more than you think.

He has one playoff to go off of. To suggest not signing him/trade him because of that is just bonkers. He has no track record.

Tokarski is 33 years old..... AHL lifer and poor metrics in the NHL. He's not some young guy here just needing a chance. Maybe we can pull some 50 year old guy out of retirement and give him a chance...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Finding good goalies who can play the puck well is not an easy task. It's been some time the Pens had one due to Fleury being here so long. It certainly can be done without one, but that puts much more pressure and punishment on the defense. His impact is a lot more than you think.

He has one playoff to go off of. To suggest not signing him/trade him because of that is just bonkers. He has no track record.

Tokarski is 33 years old..... AHL lifer and poor metrics in the NHL. He's not some young guy here just needing a chance. Maybe we can pull some 50 year old guy out of retirement and give him a chance...
You can say that.... but you also can say goalies are extremely streaky... just one inch of positioning, anything really, can shake a goalie and have him off (or on) for a period of time.
Perhaps, maybe, Tokarski is finding a groove to ride on....
If he is you ride it.
If he isn't, you get off the ride.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess Letang isnt ready, or this makes no sense…maybe he’s cheaper at NHL level than Friedman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad