PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I was excited about the fact the NHL might return then I read an article from an NHLPA rep and saw that while a format is approved about 47 other things are not. Hopefully we get Hockey back in October but even that is very questionable because it should be in line with Flu Season/Second Wave.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
All you wankers talking about that 1st are just losers, straight up losers.

I am not entertaining that first being ours, why? Because that's how winners think.
well I'm glad you're not thinking about it, because that's all it takes to keep it from happening

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I think we win it all. A Veteran team at full strength that is in win now mode. No excuse for being lackluster. Going with a Pens sweep against the Habs.

I just want to win this year because the hater tears would be soo salty and delicious

The hatred for this team would be so over the top and so many people would be desperate to delegitimize the victory, I would just revel in it.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I posit that there is never any team in any year that encounters and usually overcomes as much adversity as the pens.

Just. No other team has the insane bs. This year would be no different lol.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
On the plus side we won't have to watch Cammalleri blast about 20 one-timers past Fleury this time around.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yost3.png

Lol JJ and Simon but god damn look at that John Marino number.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Man, the idea of McCann not producing for half a season being okay and your assertion that Sheary should have done it on the regular in 16-17 is certainly one of conflict.

McCann produced at a 43 point pace despite moving all around the line-up. Sheary produced at a 31 point pace despite being Crosby's 2nd most common linemate.

No conflict here. One was a lot more productive despite less advantageous circumstances.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't mean to rehash the Sheary argument, but can't you also knock Guentzel for having a fairly poor season at ES in 2017-2018 too? My memory may be off, but I vaguely recall that Crosby just wasn't very good at ES in 2017-2018 (in terms of production), which was coincidentally addressed in that article:

yost4.png

All I see is that Riikola is better than Crosby.

And Ruhwedel. And Schultz. And JJ

I want to make a 2 buttons meme, where one is "say Riikola is good because of his GAR" and the other is "say GAR is wrong because it says ZAR is good" :laugh:

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I found the assumption Jarry would start interesting...that’s an analytics guypicking the best goalie...we know Sully will startMurray

I mean, Sullivan should start Murray. There really isn't an argument against that, unless you want to completely throw out Murray's playoff history and ignore how ice cold Jarry finished last year.

If Murray excels in the playoffs, his bad regular season will be completely forgiven. No one is going to care that he had an .899 save% in the regular season if he shows up in the playoffs like he has over his career.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think they said the earliest camp would be is July 10th. That'd last a week or just over that. So let's say July 17th at the earliest?

Thank you, man. Wow is that late. :laugh: My drop dead date was 5/15. Loos like I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

I thought the rocky mountains would be a little more rockier than this...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't mean to rehash the Sheary argument, but can't you also knock Guentzel for having a fairly poor season at ES in 2017-2018 too? My memory may be off, but I vaguely recall that Crosby just wasn't very good at ES in 2017-2018 (in terms of production), which was coincidentally addressed in that article:

yost4.png

We've been through all of this before.

Crosby had a relatively down year, which for him means 51 ES points.
Guentzel had 36 ES points.
Sheary had 27 and an absolutely abysmal playoffs.

Chicken or the egg?

Sheary left and his struggles continued. Crosby and Guentzel saw huge jumps in production.

We'll see how things progress these playoffs. I'd rather not discuss the 30 point wonder any more than I have to - he doesn't need to be injected into a McCann discussion apropos of nothing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We've been through all of this before.

Crosby had a relatively down year, which for him means 51 ES points.
Guentzel had 36 ES points.
Sheary had 27.

Chicken or the egg?

Sheary left and his struggles continued. Crosby and Guentzel saw huge jumps in production.

We'll see how things progress these playoffs.

But Crosby and Guentzel sucked in that year (relative to where they should have been) without Sheary as well. It's way more likely that Crosby just had a down year in 2017-2018, and combining Crosby having a bounce-back year and Guentzel taking another step forward made their 2018-2019 much better. It's not "chicken or the egg", it's "Crosby had 1 bad year and then rebounded".

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But Crosby and Guentzel sucked in that year (relative to where they should have been) without Sheary as well. It's way more likely that Crosby just had a down year in 2017-2018, and combining Crosby having a bounce-back year and Guentzel taking another step forward made their 2018-2019 much better. It's not "chicken or the egg", it's "Crosby had 1 bad year and then rebounded".

Not true. Without Sheary that year, Crosby and Guentzel put up much better numbers (including your hallowed xGF%) across the board than with him:

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

We'll see if that holds true when the playoffs hit. If it does, that trio needs a very short leash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad